Thorvalla - Kickstarter Update #1

I have been calling this for awhile in respect to expecting professional pitches. Look at obsidions.

As for this one, there is just nothing there other then they are making a rpg.

This will happen at least once rather sooner than later. An unannounced mid budget game near beta will be professionally hyped through KS, etc.

If it hasn't happened already. For example:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43153532/strike-suit-zero
Was nearly finished, but suddenly, despite nearly being done, needed 100,000 to finish. Even though they wouldn't say why, or what happened to their other investors. Game will be ready in January. While it is possible for games to run out of funding near the end and stall, some people wonder if they just did it to get pre-orders.

I maybe too cynical though.

Yeah. It's a massive one with a ton of detail. Maybe it'll convince some more people.

I agree he shows too little. Although I would say it is at least far more regarding the world and story than we saw from either Shaker or Project Eternity on the initial pitch.

He sounds like he has a decent story laid out, but that's about it. Everything else seems more unsure than it should be at this point. For instance, they don't even know what kind of viewpoint (isometric, etc.) they want to use? It seems to me something like that should have been decided before launching the KS.

I agree, JDR. Although I like update 2 which gives a lot of info on the envisioned mechanics, some things should have been locked, the mockup screens he talks of should have been ready, etc.
On the other hand I imagine it's a bit of a conundrum for the professional developers - they work with people that get paid, not enthusiastic hobbyists that do stuff for free in their spare time. Most Dev studios don't sit on a lot of cash. So any work they do in preparing a game concept for KS is an investment that puts a strain on the budget, without much of a gauge if it will in the end secure funding. So I guess its always a question of when do you go out to test the waters - do you invest (=risk) a lot to make a great presentation, or do you gamble that a weaker pitch will suffice, giving you some security afterwards?

Back
Top Bottom