Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Risen 2

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Risen 3

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Just another quick poll this week asking what your favorite Piranha Bytes Game? You can only pick one choice, and I will not be adding an "all of the above choice" this time.:)

Gothic 2.

There can be only one.

Emotionally, G2.

But rationally, Gothic 3.
A game that could have ment an industry revolution if it's publisher didn't screw it up. Even when that ship passed, instead of admitting the mistake and do an epic fourth installment, they managed to kill the franchise with finish-in-a-couple-of-hours linear G4.

Voted G3.

People actually voted Gothic 3 huh? I can sort of appreciate that. Fully patched it is pretty impressive in its own way. Too easy a game by a long shot but what a great landscape it has. Classic PB hand crafted world building and yet truly open. I need to play it again. I reeks of overreach by the developers but if there are Gothic fans out there that haven't played it you are missing out!

Voted G2 myself of course.

Yeah I voted Gothic 3, had a great time with it after the excellent fan patch.
Also it was the first Gothic I played so that meant a lot.

Tried to play Gothic 2 quite a bit after it(3)and just couldn't get into it.
But I do value the opinions of the folks here so have to give it another shot.

Yeah I voted Gothic 3, had a great time with it after the excellent fan patch.
Also it was the first Gothic I played so that meant a lot.

Tried to play Gothic 2 quite a bit after it(3)and just couldn't get into it.
But I do value the opinions of the folks here so have to give it another shot.

Same here as well. Gothic 3 scale, freedom, factions, environments, music and quality left a deep impression in me. Hence my vote for this forgotten diamond.

I am surprised at the popularity of Gothic 3 as well - I love it, but thought it was least loved of the Gothics.

Gothic 2 was a major game for me - after starting with RPG on the Apple ][+ I was mostly a shooter fan in the 90s and into the 2000s when I grabbed NWN just before KotOR hit the PC in late 2003. After finishing both (and loving them) I asked at the Dot for suggestions, and got Gothic 2 and BG2. Started with G2, couldn't deal with the controls and unforgiving difficulty, so played BG2 ... then came back.

And I haven't left since! :)

Gothic > Gothic 2 NotR > Gothic 3 > ... ... ... Risen > Risen 3 > Risen 2

This is actually a tough one for me! Despite endlessly praising Gothic 2 in my recent retrospective, Gothic 1 left a very strong impression on me.

Things in Gothic 1 I *really* loved, were things like - starting as a weak nobody in a prison colony, and having to scavenge and survive every second in this harsh new land. The various camps were great to explore, and I have a very special place in my heart for the Sect camp. The world was expertly crafted and it really felt like a real place. I could go on and on.

But Gothic 2 wins this one for me, simply because the world design of G2 is really unmatched by most RPGs since. The open-world is just expertly designed, and all the elements feel natural and have an organic feel that lends to a deep sense of world immersion and a feeling that you are exploring a real place. Gothic 1 has a ton of this as well, but I feel like I prefer the open-world of the second Gothic game just a bit more over the world of the first game. It is close, though, for sure.

So, rolling with G2 as my favorite, G1 as a close second, and then Risen and Risen 2. Those are the only 4 PB games I've played thus far.

Long live Gothic! (and PB!!)

Gothic 1&2 are both waaaay better than G3. That's just an objective fact. :)

I voted Gothic 2, but 1&2 are pretty much equal in my eyes. Risen 2 would be in last place, but even that game is better than a lot of other crpgs.

I voted for the first one. Gothic made a huge impact and I've never bothered to get through the sequel, so I have to give credit where it's due.

It's a tie for me: Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 (NotR version).

But Gothic 1 was the first and so it gets my vote.

I think that Gothic II is the better gaming experience when comparing to Gothic I, just because of many improved little details and ease of use, but Gothic is what brought us Gothic II.

I'm torn.

I'll vote for Gothic I, because it's the game that really brought me unto RPGs from strategy games. (In reality it was Diablo 2, but I now do not consider it a "true" RPG anymore)

Put me in the small group that didn't like Risen 1 and thus never finishing it and then ignoring all their other games.

Back
Top Bottom