Iphone RPGs with depth?

I have a quesiton to you guys: How much content is there in the ios version of baldurs gate and how long does it take to complete with no side quests? ALso, how much content is there in the expansion and how long does it take to complete that? I have never completed the game although Ive had the pc version years ago so am thinking of delving in but I may get another jeff vogel game instead (like Avadon for iPad).

News just in from TouchArcade that a new RPG with promise is in the works for iOS:
http://toucharcade.com/2013/04/23/l...rawn-strategy-rpg-that-youve-just-got-to-see/

1-e1363473830434.jpg

if nothing else it has cool visuals.

I have a quesiton to you guys: How much content is there in the ios version of baldurs gate and how long does it take to complete with no side quests? ALso, how much content is there in the expansion and how long does it take to complete that? I have never completed the game although Ive had the pc version years ago so am thinking of delving in but I may get another jeff vogel game instead (like Avadon for iPad).

I honestly can't imagine playing ANY Bioware game without exploring the side quests ... that (for me) is where I end up having the most fun. I call BG an 80 hour game, but you could likely cut that in half by ignoring most side-stuff.

I know it has been asked again and again, but could you *please* not use this thread as a personal iOS game dumping ground? If you want to talk about iPad games, and shooters more specifically, create a new thread.

This thread is about THREE things:

Role playing games (RPG)
With Depth
For the iPhone.

If any game doesn't meet all three of those (the middle one is obviously debatable), take it to another thread. Your last post met NONE of the criteria.

What I dont like about nintendo systems and handhelds besides ios is that they constantly make the same stuff for them and endless sequels. Like mew mario rpg games, fir emblem, mario, kirby, etc. stuff thats been done to death on every console and they all play exactly thesame. If i wanted luigis mansion i would get the gamexube version ive never plqyed or if i wanted fire emblem i just play all the other gba versions on an emulator or something. Where are the new experiences or ips from them? Besides the new zelda that is its a bunch of remakes, n64 ports and sequels.

Re:

To tell the truth, even though i talk crap about the 3ds I do enjoy a mix of gaming on the iPad and my 3ds. I think its the perfect mix and gaming on portables/mobiles is where its at. I dont get why you guys defend the pc so much and are so stuck in the past. Dont you want gaming to evolve? Its so much more co fortable turning on a cita, 3ds or ipad and laying down on your couch than having to manually install pc games, get patches, set them up with your tv, etc. or sit crucnhed in front of a monitor. Support these kickstarters and let gaming evolve.

What I dont like about nintendo systems and handhelds besides ios is that they constantly make the same stuff for them and endless sequels. Like mew mario rpg games, fir emblem, mario, kirby, etc. stuff thats been done to death on every console and they all play exactly thesame. If i wanted luigis mansion i would get the gamexube version ive never plqyed or if i wanted fire emblem i just play all the other gba versions on an emulator or something. Where are the new experiences or ips from them? Besides the new zelda that is its a bunch of remakes, n64 ports and sequels.

The thing about their rpgs is that they improve on their formula every generation. If you dont like that you dont like sequels i guess. And they made 3 new rpg ips last gen with last story, xenoblade chronicles and pandoras tower. Pandoras tower was mediocre but the other two were great for me.

I'm actually curious about this one. The sorcery game book series was one of my favorites as a kid, and it looks like they are trying something a little new with this one, rather then just reprinting the book. Could be great or it could crash and burn horribly.

If anyone is interested, this is the (imho cool) game that unexpectely comes out tomorrow (was scheduled mid May).

Steve Jackson's Sorcery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UdYssQleZk

The thing about their rpgs is that they improve on their formula every generation. If you dont like that you dont like sequels i guess. And they made 3 new rpg ips last gen with last story, xenoblade chronicles and pandoras tower. Pandoras tower was mediocre but the other two were great for me.

It depends. Arguably mario rpg for the snes is thebest of any of theseries and papermario for the 3ds is apparently the worst of theentire series i cluding worse than the wii game.

I'm actually curious about this one. The sorcery game book series was one of my favorites as a kid, and it looks like they are trying something a little new with this one, rather then just reprinting the book. Could be great or it could crash and burn horribly.

Loved CYOA and the variants that popped up when I was younger. But I somehow doubt this one has enough meat on its bones to satisfy me now. I'll buy it for sure, but I'm very skeptical.

Last edited:

I think it is definitely worth picking up. I did a review of it for Gear Diary.

I picked it up, it's a very interesting game in it's own way. I really like how it tracks your progress around the overland map and you can make decisions on where to go and have to consider food supplies and finding places to rest. It seems to do a good job of having little things you do on place make a difference later on too.

I'm not sure I love the game mechanics for combat and spells, although to be fair they are probably still better then the mechanics in the original book (which were pretty awful even if I loved it at the time). It often seemed a little bit on the easy side too, and fairly short, although that was true of the first sorcery book as well.

Overall though I think they are on to something with this, and I look forward to seeing how it will evolve with time. I also look forward to book two, which my vague memories tell me is MUCH more interesting then book 1.

Back
Top Bottom