Remarkable quotes

Dusty Springfield:
I used so much hairspray that I feel personally responsible for global warming.

Dick Van Dyke:
Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them.

Marcel Achard:
Women have a passion for mathematics. They divide their age in half, double the price of their clothes, and always add at least five years to the age of their best friend.

Samuel Butler:
Brigands demand your money or your life; women require both.

David Niven:
I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.

Edgar Watson Howe:
One of the most difficult things in the world is to convince a woman that even a bargain costs money.

Oliver Herford:
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's. She changes it more often.

Rene Descartes:
I think; therefore I am.

Is one of those that is very ambiguous (and vacuous) statements.
Actually, is the only concrete one .

About famous quotations, I always liked Oscar Wilde
There is no sin except stupidity.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal

Way too much Right Hand Path in this here thread. It is giving me a rash, thus it is time to counterbalance it with a bit of wisdom worthy of real men and real women. I want you all raiding peaceful villages and burning down temples of light before dawn, you hear? :p

Max Stirner said:
The divine is God's concern; the human, man's. My concern is neither the divine nor the human, not the true, good, just, free, etc., but solely what is mine, and it is not a general one, but is — unique, as I am unique. Nothing is more to me than myself!

Max Stirner said:
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment.

Max Stirner said:
It would be foolish to assert that there is no power above mine. Only the attitude that I take toward it will be quite another than that of the religious age: I shall be the enemy of every higher power, while religion teaches us to make it our friend and be humble toward it.

Max Stirner said:
People is the name of the body, State of the spirit, of that ruling person that has hitherto suppressed me.

Max Stirner said:
Where the world comes in my way — and it comes in my way everywhere — I consume it to quiet the hunger of my egoism. For me you are nothing but — my food, even as I too am fed upon and turned to use by you. We have only one relation to each other, that of usableness, of utility, of use.

Austin Osman Spare said:
Do what you like; to whom the liking is the law.

Austin Osman Spare said:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.

Austin Osman Spare said:
The more Chaotic I am, the more complete I am.

Arthur Machen said:
It appears to me that it [sin] is simply an attempt to penetrate into another and higher sphere in a forbidden manner. You can understand why it is so rare. They are few, indeed, who wish to penetrate into higher spheres, higher or lower, in ways allowed or forbidden. Men, in the mass, are amply content with life as they find it. Therefore there are few saints, and sinners (in the proper sense) are fewer still, and men of genius, who partake sometimes of each character, are rare also. Yes, on the whole , it is, perhaps, harder to be a great sinner than a great saint.

John Milton said:
To be weak is miserable,
Doing or suffering.

John Milton said:
Farewell happy fields,
Where joy forever dwells: hail, horrors!

John Milton said:
A mind not to be changed by place or time.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n.

John Milton said:
Here at least
we shall be free; the Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choice
to reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
G.B. Shaw is a good source of quotes. I have to admit that I prefer some of his quotes to his books.

George Bernard Shaw said:
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

The things most people want to know about are usually none of their business.

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'

A quote I once heard but I don't know whose it is:
- If you ask a question you'll look stupid for a moment. But if you don't ask that question, you'll remain stupid forever.

Here is a nerdy one:
- May the d(mv)/dt be with you!

Quote from Einstein with which I absolutely agree:
- If you need mathematics to explain something, then you haven't understood it.

A very elegant one:
equation.png (click on image to enlarge)
The five most important numbers in mathematics in a single equation.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Terry Pratchett, Jingo:
Were you proposing to shoot these people in cold blood, sergeant?"
"Nossir. Just a warning shot inna head, sir.

Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon:
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

Here's one by Tupac Shakur:
If you can't find something to live for, you best find something to die for.

Now that's one I REALLY like. Would make an excellent Sig for someone!!

Already put it on my wall at work. ;)

I'd love to print this and frame it too.

f83.jpg

Back
Top Bottom