JRPGs

Since there have been news threads about Valkyria Chronicles and there is now a staff member with a Fire Emblem avatar, anyone up for posting some news about major JRPGS announcements? Why not, considering many are truer to what RPGs used to be like? I know there has been an announcement about Etrian Odyssey 5 and other such relevant news. Why not generate some discussion about this?

I'd do it myself but I understand the staff wouldn't ever trust me with any sort of staff access.

I don't care about emblems.

I finished Valkyria Chronicles (main story, still didn't touch side content because I'm on DA3 but will return to it) and am saying it's worth every penny.

Why?
- Perfectly made TB combat where you can save after every move not on some bloody phonegame/outdated_console checkpoints
- No endless respawns except where it's a part of a mission (but you stop them for example by destroying the bridge they're crossing)
- Very good story
- Superb music
- Graphics style that just can't get outdated

Buy now. Forget other jRPGs, definetly get this one first.

There are already newsposts about major JRPG announcements. What more do you want?

The majority of members here aren't particularly focused on JRPGs, so "generating" discussions on the topic isn't likely to happen.

There are already newsposts about major JRPG announcements. What more do you want?

The majority of members here aren't particularly focused on JRPGs, so "generating" discussions on the topic isn't likely to happen.

Other than the occasional PC port I don't recall seeing it happening. And the good reception of VC in particular has proven there is an audience.

This is not my board but I don't understand why forego such a treasure trove of niche games full of originality, audacious RPG mechanics and spunk.

Just recently these was a port of Shin Megami Tensei on iPhone, which is a Wizardry clone on steroids full of difficult dungeons, occult themes and intriguing and difficult choices to make, for only $7.99.

It might only ever cater to a minority of members but I think a lot of people would make great discoveries.

It is the editorial policy/focus of this site that we primarily cover only western style RPG's. Basically, the editors and staff have never been overly interested in JRPG's though from time to time we have given them some coverage. There are plenty of other sites which are dedicated to JRPG's. IF a staff member wishes to cover/follow/report on a particular JRPG, then they are at liberty to do so. Most of the time, our regular newsposters (and until recently we only had Couch) are just too busy covering our primary market. It's the same reason we cut back on our coverage of MMO's a few years ago; not enough interest and too little time. All of this is subject to change depending on current staff!! :)

I'm afraid I won't be of much help to you, my avatar aside. The recent games that remind me most of what I enjoyed in Fire Emblem are western and on the PC -- Massive Chalice, Crusader Kings, etc.

What Corwin said :)

I love jRPGs but I think we only should cover them when/if they are ported to Windows (like it's the case with Valkyiria Chronicles).

I love jRPGs but I think we only should cover them when/if they are ported to Windows (like it's the case with Valkyiria Chronicles).

I knew it. "Focusing on single player RPGs", right. This is blatant platformism!

And? Many of us stick to the place exactly because of that.

If you don't like it, you can always try Square Enix forums. They're hating PC and are console/phone oriented.

I'm a newb, but I only post about JRPGs if there is a Windows port. In that case, then I think they're fair game.

Since there have been news threads about Valkyria Chronicles and there is now a staff member with a Fire Emblem avatar, anyone up for posting some news about major JRPGS announcements? Why not, considering many are truer to what RPGs used to be like? I know there has been an announcement about Etrian Odyssey 5 and other such relevant news. Why not generate some discussion about this?

I'd do it myself but I understand the staff wouldn't ever trust me with any sort of staff access.

As someone who occasionally enjoys a grindy JRPG, I see where you're coming from. But I don't think there need to be news posts about them, especially if none of the staff are interested.

Why not just keep a thread (maybe this one) for those of us who are interested?

I'm pretty anxious to hear some more news about EO5. EO4 is one my top 3DS games of all time. I haven't heard any more news about it since that rather short, non-informational trailer back in November.

Keep this thread.

Quick aggr. impression on jRPG ports on Steam I bought recently:

Valkyria Chronicles - Buy now, right now, yes, not tomorrow!

Final Fantasy 13 - avoid like a plague, it's a fancy looking disaster, you can watch all cutscenes in 6 hours "Movie" on youtube

The Last Remnant - Fantastic idea turned into a garbage with watered down story, buy on some huge discount to see what a wasted potential it is

Hyperdymension Neptunia - Buy only if you have a gamepad for PC, m/k can be used but it's a torment, not fun, or wait if there will be a patch on UI

Last edited:
Well you guys please start another thread in the RPG section then as this forum sub-section is only for RPGWatch related topics, and suggestions.^^

And you're saying that now after I made a superb impressions post?
*sigh*

:p

Well, I think that it'd be good to have someone posting JRPG for windows news.

But not any console games of course.

I already do just check the front-page news.^^

List- http://www.rpgwatch.com/games.html

Agarest Generations of War
Agarest Zero
Alphadia Genesis
Always Sometimes Monsters
Americana Dawn
Boot Hill Heroes
Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge
Celestian Tales: Old North
Child Of Light
Citizens of Earth
Cosmic Star Heroine
Courier
CrossCode
Divinia Chronicles: Relics of Gan-Ti
Earthlock: Festival of Magic
Edge Of Eternity
Elminage Gothic
Elysian Shadows
Fearless Fantasy
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Gheldia
Gravia Tactics
Grinsia
Laxius Force
Liege
Loren The Amazon Princess
Pier Solar
Project Phoenix
Sierra Ops
Sora A Tale of a Hero
Soul Knights
Soul Saga
Tales of Aravorn: Seasons of the Wolf
Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians

Last edited:
Maybe we should have JRPG section? or should it mix in with normal RPG's….. I guess some users here want to avoid them like the plague.

What's sad is that some of the best JRPG's in the world are still only available for consoles. (I just got a Vita, and it's pretty awesome so far for JRPG's). I can only hope to see more of them follow in Valkyria Chronicles's example with PC ports…

But I'd be all about a JRPG section, like Gothic said...^.^

Back
Top Bottom