Valkyria Chronicles - Review @ TechRaptor

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
TechRaptor reviewed Valkyria Chronicles and the reviewer was thrilled enough to award it with a 9.

There are a few issues with it at times where the game undermines itself on the story front, but not to a huge degree. There are several fridge logic moments that when you spend a little thinking on it, don’t really make any sense despite the other value it might have to the story. As a game with a jrpg style story, it does get a little over sappy in a few times, but it balances out for the most part well. More painful is that several times the game feels the need to both show and tell an event. Show, don’t tell is the classic rule of storytelling, and, in my opinion, applies even more to video games because of the fact that they are an interactive media. However if that’s the rule, it is especially important to not show and tell, which feels heavy handed at a few points with the game.

If it feels that there, I’m nitpicking the story – to some extent it’s true. This is a very good story, and so I’m treating it as I would any other piece of fiction that I read or participate in and those are things I would call out there. It does get a little heavy handed at times in the story, and does show and tell several times which hurts the story and assumes the player isn’t paying attention.

On the whole though, I have to say that Valkyria Chronicles is one of the best games I’ve played in a good while. It has an excellent combat system, paired with a wonderful, and well realized story. I strongly recommend it if you are a fan of strategy or RPG games on the PC.
More information.

Great game - the story is a bit cheesy, but I would play this game even with no story at all. The challenging tactical combat is pure fun.

The story is not mature enough for my taste and it's anime cliche to be honest, but it's well done.
Years didn't do anything to this game, music didn't get old, graphics style just can't get old.
Just imagine jRPG with a possibility to save anywhere (after you make a move) and without endless mobrespawns (except in some areas storywise but you can stop those) and add to the picture it's not a phonegame nor can be played on a phone ever. Back then it was probably a revolution on consoles.
Unlike other games, in this game achievements matter and also unlike other games, on game restart you open a whole new set of optional hard missions.

The game is a definite mustbuy and is so good you shouldn't wait for discounts on this one. It's worth every penny.
Such a shame PC players had to wait so many years to see it.

Do me a favor and play with japanese voiceovers/english subtitles. It gets even better!

Since I distrust people's opinions who think games like Bioshock and Dishonored are must buys (I bought both and played them for an hour before quitting from boredom) due to having a story wrapped in boring FPS, rpg-less gameplay. I've bought a bunch of games lately I can't stand and before taking another blind leap of faith, does this game have actual rpg elements, like character development, etc, or is it just a TB game with a story?

Are the chardev rpg elements significant or crap like Legends of Heroes: Trail in the Sky and other jrpgs?

Dishonored is IMO 10/10 game.

Never said anything about Bioshock (1 &2), but I do remember saying I'll never buy Bioshock 3 as it contains season pass and am trying to encourage others to do the same thing.

LoH:Tits is a mustbuy game. I don't know what's "chardev". Some codexian internal joke word?

@Bubbles

Character development is in the game, but more JA 2/ Xcom style.

• You can select a squad out of many unique recruits (with personal traits and skills).
  • You can level up all 5 classes by getting exp. (All team members of that class will then automatically level up, too).
  • You can research and level up your weapons, gear and tanks.
  • You can select the gear of your squad members.
  • You can build up your tank.
  • By leveling up your team members will get new skills over time.
  • You can get unique weapons from the queen.
  • The main story characters are developed in side quests and can get unique skills as well.

Last edited:
I liked the game but it is linear and level up are mostly monotonous since there is lots of exp and money. Don't take me wrong it was fun and we'll done and cheap but it is not perfect.

Of course it's not perfect - it's a console game. ;)
But it's probably the best thing possible on consoles, it doesn't feel dumbed down at all. Well... Apart from the story which is "standard" kids anime series story. I believe I've written they could spice things up with a potential love triangle and a real betray case, but they took everyone gets the positive side route.

@HiddenX
Team members that are not officers apart from global level up improvement unlock skills based on certain hidden score (number of killed enemies, KOed in a fight).

The grading being based on how quickly you rushed through maps was the only thing which annoyed me about this game. Hopefully good STEAM sells may see the series resurrected... :)

The grading being based on how quickly you rushed through maps was the only thing which annoyed me about this game. Hopefully good STEAM sells may see the series resurrected… :)

Ya agreed it's silly that they give you alot of tactical options but then if you want the best score you often have to recklessly rush through the map.
If you ignore the grades the combat is really enjoyable though.

I actually kinda like the story too, although japanese(at least anime) story telling seems to be always hard for me to follow.
Would definitely get the next parts of the serious too if they're on par with this one and they ever come to PC.

LOL
You can't recklessly rush through the map as the doublemovement bonus your scouts get on level 16 or 17 (can't remember now). And you can't possibly get them that level on the first run unless you'll grind the last available skirmish 763473465 times. :D

Sure you can still net A rank on some missions in the first playthrough (for example the mission against Valkyria) but those are designed to finish fast or you're doomed. And are rare.

Instead of trying to get everything on A before "new game plus" IMO you should concentrate on finding and killing enemy aces. There is no point in overgrinding skirmishes as on the rerun the game opens new difficulty ones with different setup including a completely new one plus there is a level cap (20).

This could have been designed better in a way the game disallows getting A completely in the first run, or with better bonuses on aces than on rounds total, or simply denying any bonus on skirmish replays. So grindlovers drop the grinding crap. But well…
Let's still keep in mind this is an ages old console game. As such it just can't be a masterpiece. By no means. Ever.
But it can be 9/10 and it is exactly that.

@Bubbles

Character development is in the game, but more JA 2/ Xcom style.

• You can select a squad out of many unique recruits (with personal traits and skills).
  • You can level up all 5 classes by getting exp. (All team members of that class will then automatically level up, too).
  • You can research and level up your weapons, gear and tanks.
  • You can select the gear of your squad members.
  • You can build up your tank.
  • By leveling up your team members will get new skills over time.
  • You can get unique weapons from the queen.
  • The main story characters are developed in side quests and can get unique skills as well.

Thank you for the reply and explanation.

Back
Top Bottom