New Graphics Card for Gothic 3

The flag to allow allocation of more than 2 GB RAM for the application Gothic 3 has not been set by PB. A hack to circumvent this has been posted in the forum, but it´s unclear if it works 100% correctly. Without the hack you´ll only notice minimal improvements because the game will have full 2 GB available instead of ~1.7 GB.

I would also guess your problem is elsewhere.

Hmm... well I guess I'll wait and see if the game still lags after I install my new video card... I already ordered it online. It should arrive here in about 5 days.

Perhaps I can post my former and new config here so something becomes clear:

AMD 64 3000+, 1GB RAM, Nvidia 7800GS
-> Gothic 3 wasn't ok on minimal settings

AMD 64 3000+, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 7800GS
-> Gothic 3 played ok on minimal settings

adjusted some tweaks in the ini and made my pc start up with only the nescessary services (I'm not connected at that time, so no firewall or antivirus)
-> Gothic 3 played ok on high settings. (not ultrahigh, but yet I increased the viewing distance, what is much more important to me then highly detainled chair or vegetation on)

Oh, well I always shut off programs that I don't need running when gaming. I HATE with a passion programs that are invasive or run in the background even when you aren't directly using them, so I avoid them altogether by not installing them in the first place. As for antivirus and zonealarm, I just shut those down after booting up my machine before I play a single player game offline. Thus, to clarify, the problem can't be any programs running in the background and slowing down the computer. I check my running applications regularly to make sure I know what everything is... most of the stuff is just windows xp required programs.

I will try the tweaks mentioned in the tweaking thread though. Hopefully those will work. Thanks.

Oh, well I always shut off programs that I don't need running when gaming. I HATE with a passion programs that are invasive or run in the background even when you aren't directly using them, so I avoid them altogether by not installing them in the first place.

It happened to me more than once that my game suddenly minimalized because of antivirus program decided to do an update exactly when I was about to hit the ugly beast that was trying to kill me. Different games tend to react differently on this. Some minimalize, some just start to stutter a bit and other just seem to not care.

Back
Top Bottom