KoA: Reckoning - Answers from the Team

From what I've seen of KoA, and especially what I've heard, it looks like it may just be the best example of rewarding exploration ever. However, that's ONLY if what the developers are saying is actually true.

OK, who are you, and what have you done to the REAL D'Artagnan!

;) Just think I haven't seen something this optimistic from you, in like, years? Ever? I'd dearly love for you to be right, but I am still a skeptic with this game. But as the Watch slowly works up considerable enthusiasm, I find myself getting a bit more hopeful.

OK, who are you, and what have you done to the REAL D'Artagnan!

;) Just think I haven't seen something this optimistic from you, in like, years? Ever? I'd dearly love for you to be right, but I am still a skeptic with this game. But as the Watch slowly works up considerable enthusiasm, I find myself getting a bit more hopeful.

Actually, I'm quite positive about several games here. Like I've been about Skyrim, Deus Ex 3, Diablo 3 and others.

However, what happens is that when I'm sceptical and "negative" (I just speak my mind without really caring if it's positive or negative), I'm doing it in a way that makes people overlook, ignore or forget the positive.

It's very human and very common, so I don't take it personally.

Oh, and I'm almost certain that I'm right about this game. I'm pretty good with that sort of thing ;)

Especially because the areas were meant to be explored in what seemed like a linear fashion. I only completed ~50% of the game, though, so I can't say what it's like at the end. But I seem to recall being informed what level enemies were for each level, and they got tougher and tougher in a linear fashion. It's hard to get anymore artifical than that, and I found it quite unfortunate for the overall appeal of the game.
The game has three distinct main zones which you pretty much have to explore in given order (you can go to Orobas fjords once Broken Valley opens up, but without the dragon form what you can do there is limited), but exploration in these zones themselves is non-linear, it just takes some time till the Broken Valley opens up. Enemies get only "tougher and tougher" when you compare these three zones with each other, within the zones themselves this isn´t the case, because, as I said, exploring these is not forced to be linear. We may discount the Sentinel Island zone since it´s small and works more as a intermezzo of sorts, but it certainly is like that when it comes to Broken Valley and fjords.
When you get to fjords after getting the tower, you can explore the fjords themselves, dungeons included, and there are the flying fortresses as well as Broken Valley. Level range of enemies in these areas is roughly 18-30 and since you get to the fjords with a character in roughly 17-20 level range, there´s plenty of opportunities to stumble upon encounters likely beyond your character´s skills.
I agree it´s hard to get anymore artificial then when the game informs a player about level range of enemies for a given area, but Dragon Knight Saga most certainly does not do that. There is a sole weird appearance of it in Broken Valley (tied to the mines), which afaict serves no real purpose because the the location it concerns is locked anyway in DKS (maybe it wasn´t in Ego Draconis and this notice just wan´t deleted for some reason).

Speaking of tougher and tougher, KoA will likely have this. Enemies are scaled to pc´s level per area - each area has level range, so if you, say, enter an area with 13-20 range with character at level 11, everything locks to level 13, if you get there at level 16, everything locks to level 16 and if you get there at level 25, everything locks to level 20, at least that´s how I understood it from this article. I don´t like it because there´s a good chance this will make each area feel "flat" with not much of the FUUUUUUUU- kind of surprises, but maybe there´s more granularity than it seems from the article (it would be nice if at least boss enemies weren´t scaled at all).
And while players are supposedly able to at least theoretically visit every area right from the start, if you look at the map I´ve posted on the previous page, it seems that to get to, say, Alabastra, players will likely have to go through all 4 major regions first and it´s also quite likely enemies will be getting tougher and tougher per area, roughly following the main quest progression.

Speaking of tougher and tougher, KoA will likely have this. Enemies are scaled to pc´s level per area - each area has level range, so if you, say, enter an area with 13-20 range with character at level 11, everything locks to level 13, if you get there at level 16, everything locks to level 16 and if you get there at level 25, everything locks to level 20, at least that´s how I understood it from this article. I don´t like it because there´s a good chance this will make each area feel "flat" with not much of the FUUUUUUUU- kind of surprises, but maybe there´s more granularity than it seems from the article (it would be nice if at least boss enemies weren´t scaled at all).
And while players are supposedly able to at least theoretically visit every area right from the start, if you look at the map I´ve posted on the previous page, it seems that to get to, say, Alabastra, players will likely have to go through all 4 major regions first and it´s also quite likely enemies will be getting tougher and tougher per area, roughly following the main quest progression.

Yeah, as I said, it looks like KoA will be somewhat like Div2 in terms of having separate enclosed areas - only much larger. I don't disagree that the areas themselves were "non-linear" - though my experience was somewhat different. I felt "guided" and found the areas pretty rigid in terms of "exploration paths." Furthermore, I remember them as mostly "barren open spaces" with relatively sparse detail in terms of unique locations with a history too them. Since I tend to forget these things rather quickly, I can't be certain I'm not being harsh - but that's what I remember. However, the dungeons themselves were great and interesting to explore.

As for the level scaling, that's kinda disappointing if true - though not uncommon these days. I PREFER that enemies generally get tougher as you progress (though I really do hope we get some FU experiences), but I don't want a loading screen message shoving into my face that I'm playing a computer game and revealing how levels have been designed in terms of the actual numbers. That's just stupid - and it only has to happen once to ruin that aspect for me. It WAS in Ego Draconis - because that's the version I played. I got to the Sentinel Island and was just about to claim my "tower" if I'm not mistaken.

I'd like to reserve judgment about balance in KoA until I hear more or see it in action.

I think the most important thing about level scaling or balance, is that I can't easily figure out what the developers have done - because then it gets too predictable. Whether it scales or not, is less important. It's just VITAL that I don't figure out exactly what they're doing, because then I'll be able to predict the exact level of challenge and what I can expect. That's a big no-no when you want players to be surprised or feel challenged or "scared" of enemies.

When I say I expect it to be one of the most rewarding games in terms of exploration, it's based on what the developers having been saying in previews. The amount of detail and effort they SEEM to pour into the lore and the story of EVERY SINGLE location - that really sounds like a dream come true.

What they've said about traps and puzzles also seems to strongly indicate an emphasis on making each dungeon unique and something you'd want to explore.

Then there's the whole in-depth loot system, which suggests a very nice system of rewards for solving puzzles and going off the beaten path.

I can't know how much is hype and how much is real, but my gut feeling is telling me the game will be a fantastic exploration experience.

But whatever else it might be, it's sort of hard to say at this point. I don't have a problem with the action combat system, and in fact I think I will like it. But I don't like what I'm hearing about being able to succeed by either being good at combat OR investing in the right abilities.

I want both aspects to be challenging, because investing into the right abilities is something I can do in my sleep. So, if I happen to make a powerful character, it sounds like most of the combat will be "just for show" - which is very boring. Even worse, I'd hate to be able to ignore smart development simply by being good at action combat, because I'm pretty good at that as well. That's the aspect I'm most worried about right now.

But the world, history, and exploration sounds downright amazing.

I liked Divinity 2 a lot, but ultimately found the loot system underwhelming, the combat system and development system decent but not great, and the story and presentation middling. It was also too short to represent a fully "meaty" experience for me - but that's a personal thing. I LOVE huge games, and that requires 80-100+ hours for open world games like this.

So, while I really did like Divinity 2 - I expect to like KoA much, much more.

Last edited:
It looks like KoA will be similar - except that the individual areas will be huge - and that should result in me feeling less enclosed and restricted.
Well, I´ll mention the map in this thread once more. If the game is of similar landmass as Oblivion and the world is divided into 30 or so zones, it seems that the individual areas won´t be what I´d classify as huge.

As much as I love freeform exploration, I'd MUCH rather have a compromise as long as the sensation of non-linearity is preserved and I get the huge benefit of having an intricately designed world where everything has a sense of place and can be explored with good rewards.
Yeah, though the question is how much of this feeling KoA actually provides.
There´s the map design, enemies scaled per area, loot, at least majority of it, is scaled to character level and they control drop rate of lockpicks or potions based on how much of these players have in inventory. Personally, I´m getting rather linear progression vibes from these.

I can't know how much is hype and how much is real, but my gut feeling is telling me the game will be a fantastic exploration experience.

But the world, history, and exploration sounds downright amazing.
When it comes to this game, I´m going mostly by gut feeling too and I´ve arrived at different results, but I´ve already mentioned most of my concerns elsewhere. The game sure looks "meaty", but so far my most "general" gut feeling tells me there´s a good chance I´d get bored 20 hours into the game.
I may change my outlook once it will be more clear how repetitive dungeons are, how varied quest design is, how rigid level scaling is, how good the actual writing is and what level of general challenge the game provides. Character system sure looks like fun to me, so there´s that :).
It´s not like I expect each of the above aspects to be "perfect", I just haven´t seen much hard info to make me optimistic about these and most of the more general info (like 120 dungeons, 280 armor sets, non-exclusive factions) so far left me sceptical.

I liked Divinity 2 a lot, but ultimately found the loot system underwhelming,
C´mon now, it can´t be much cooler than running around with your trusty
(Heroic) Savage Magical Light Noble Sword of the Vampire :).

Last edited:
Well, I´ll mention the map in this thread once more. If the game is of similar landmass as Oblivion and the world is divided into 30 or so zones, it seems that the individual areas won´t be what I´d classify as huge.

Where do you get the "30" zones? To me, that seems to contradict the "loading screens between the five biomes" from the original post.

There are load screens between the five biomes for technical reasons, but you can spend real-world days exploring the massive amounts of content of each one. There are also over a hundred and twenty hand-crafted dungeons to explore.

This is the quote I'm specifically basing my expectation about area size on. If that's untrue - or there's something I'm not getting about "real-world days" exploring the content of each of the five areas that have loading screens between them, please let me know.

Based on the above quote, I have a very hard time seeing how KoA won't have HUGE areas.

I mean, the entirety of Divinity 2 hardly amounts to even two real-world days worth of content.

Yeah, though I´m not sure how much of this feeling KoA actually provides.
There´s the map design, enemies scaled per area, loot, at least majority of it, is scaled to character level and they control drop rate of lockpicks or potions based on how much of these players have in inventory. I´m getting rather linear progression vibes from these.

Well, if five huge areas of real-world days worth of open exploration isn't enough to make you feel free to explore and a sense of non-linearity, then I don't know what to say.

I found Divinity 2 "bearably" non-linear - but with quite a bit of guidance and limited exploration paths - not to mention relatively barren open spaces.

Oblivion had atrociously bad level scaling - but is still considered by most (and certainly me as well) one of the most freeform games out there. So, I don't get the rest of your points in that way - but maybe we just see freeform/linearity in different ways.

When it comes to this game, I´m going mostly by gut feeling too and I´ve arrived at different results, but I´ve already mentioned most of my concerns elsewhere. The game sure looks "meaty", but so far my most "general" gut feeling tells me there´s a good chance I´d get bored 20 hours into the game.
I may change my outlook once it will be more clear how repetitive dungeons are, how varied quest design is, how rigid level scaling is, how good the actual writing is and what level of general challenge the game provides. Character system sure looks like fun to me, so there´s that :).
It´s not like I expect each of the above aspects to be "perfect", I just haven´t seen much hard info to make me optimistic about these and most of the more general info (like 120 dungeons, 280 armor sets, non-exclusive factions) so far left me sceptical.

To each his own, but of course I'm right and you're wrong ;)

C´mon now, it can´t be much cooler than running around with your trusty
(Heroic) Savage Magical Light Noble Sword of the Vampire :).

Nah, I actually found the loot system unrewarding and extremely predictable.

It started out looking like it would be great, but ultimately not very interesting or as varied as I thought. Just bad design in terms of weapon variety and the impact of the various effects.

Way too "gamey" for what I think the game should have done. Such a weapon generation system would fit decently in a poor man's Diablo. But in a deeper game based on something more than simply endless slaughter, you want items to mean something and have a history to them. Like the little background stories for weapons in Baldur's Gate. That's the kind of thing they're going for in KoA - which means I'm much more interested in finding loot, knowing that a designer put some thought into it - rather than a randomly generating item system designed by people who fundamentally don't understand how a good loot system should work.

But that's subjective.

Where do you get the "30" zones? To me, that seems to contradict the "loading screens between the five biomes" from the original post.

For example, from this in-game map (I´ve posted the whole, though not in-game, map on the previous page):
koareckoningmap.jpg

As you can see, apparently each of the 5 regions is further divided into what to me seems like rather artificially enclosed smaller segments and judging by the whole map there´s about 30 of these.
I haven´t mentioned loading screens anywhere, I just don´t like the general exterior world design, if the map is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Way too "gamey" for what I think the game should have done. Such a weapon generation system would fit decently in a poor man's Diablo. But in a deeper game based on something more than simply endless slaughter, you want items to mean something and have a history to them. Like the little background stories for weapons in Baldur's Gate. That's the kind of thing they're going for in KoA - which means I'm much more interested in finding loot, knowing that a designer put some thought into it - rather than a randomly generating item system designed by people who fundamentally don't understand how a good loot system should work.

You know that KoA uses quite similar system to the one used in Divinity II for generating what likely constitutes most of its loot, right?
(source - last question)

Also, I´m pretty sure Dragon Knight Saga is not exactly the same as Ego Draconis in regards to loot, because loot (set items included) was supposed to be overhauled.
I think there´s more unique items in DKS, at least.

Last edited:
I liked the loot system in Divinity 2. Sure it could have used more unique items that had specific lore behind them, but otherwise it was okay. KoA is going to have over 1000 unique, "purple" items in the game that each have their own unique artwork, stats, and lore. Personally I think that's pretty exciting. I love lore and this game will have it in large amounts.

As for the map, lead designer Ian Frazier said that each of the "bubbles" (or zones that make up each biome) is huge, and that it would take awhile to run across one even if you avoided combat. For example, you can stand in the middle of one of those bubbles called Ettinmere, and not see the borders of the bubble if you look in any direction. There is also approximately 30 hours of content in Ettinmere alone, and that's just one bubble out of however many are in the game.

The developers said you can "easily" expect 200-300 hours of content in your first playthrough (if you choose to do everything there is to do), so it appears these bubbles are going to be loaded with content. I don't think it will feel claustrophobic and I don't think you will have any problems finding something interesting to do. I also think it will feel similar to Divinity 2, just on a bigger scale with more to see and do.

Last edited:
I'm still in the Orobas Fjords area of DKS, and I have to say it's one of the most non-linear regions I've ever explored in an open-world game. There is no sense of guidance *whatsoever*. I've got more quests than I know what to do with right now, and they all seem to lead in different directions.

I've also been playing DKS every day for about a week now, and I'm not 1/2 finished with it yet. I'm not sure what's big enough for most people nowadays, but I really don't want a game that's much larger. 200-300 hours? No thanks. I highly doubt any game is going to captivate me long enough to go anywhere near 300 hours. I played Morrowind and FO3 for around 200 hours each, and was completely burned out towards the end both times, despite really liking those games.

In regards to the loot system though, I agree it leaves a lot to be desired. As I've previously stated, the extreme randomness of loot is one of my few dislikes in the game.

You haven't got to the dragon part of DKS yet? Awful. Ruined the game for me.

You know that KoA uses quite similar system to the one used in Divinity II for generating what likely constitutes most of its loot, right?
(source - last question)

No, not exactly. That's just for the randomly generated loot. It's going to have a lot of unique items with history behind them. At least, that's what I remember them saying in one of the earlier developer videos. They're handcrafting hundreds of items, and they're supposed to relate to the lore created by RA Salvatore.

I don't necessarily mind randomly generated loot on top of that, but it depends on how intelligently it's done and what the result is in terms of useful and meaningful items. Divinity 2 items felt almost totally arbitrary and "systemized" to the extreme. Awful loot design, but with an obvious good intention behind it.

I'm sorry, but it just felt like bad design to me.

Also, I´m pretty sure Dragon Knight Saga is not exactly the same as Ego Draconis in regards to loot, because loot (set items included) was supposed to be overhauled.
I think there´s more unique items in DKS, at least.

Ok, I suppose so. I don't really remember any item with a history behind it or something that "stood out" for me in that way. Maybe I overlooked it?

Last edited:
I'm still in the Orobas Fjords area of DKS, and I have to say it's one of the most non-linear regions I've ever explored in an open-world game. There is no sense of guidance *whatsoever*. I've got more quests than I know what to do with right now, and they all seem to lead in different directions.

I've also been playing DKS every day for about a week now, and I'm not 1/2 finished with it yet. I'm not sure what's big enough for most people nowadays, but I really don't want a game that's much larger. 200-300 hours? No thanks. I highly doubt any game is going to captivate me long enough to go anywhere near 300 hours. I played Morrowind and FO3 for around 200 hours each, and was completely burned out towards the end both times, despite really liking those games.

In regards to the loot system though, I agree it leaves a lot to be desired. As I've previously stated, the extreme randomness of loot is one of my few dislikes in the game.

Divinity 2 averages about 40 hours of gameplay based on most accounts of what I've heard. Seems about right as I got to The Tower after 15-20 hours. Maybe 50-60 for slow players.

You're talking about DKS which includes the expansion.

Fair enough, you don't like 200-300 hour games. I love games that provide that, though I might not play them for that long. I like the idea of being able to play until I get tired of it, rather than it ending too soon.

Naturally, it depends on the execution. 300 hours of Oblivion would make me vomit, but Fallout 3 was much better - and I could easily see myself playing that for 150-200 hours if I had the time.

Last edited:
As you can see, apparently each of the 5 regions is further divided into what to me seems like rather artificially enclosed smaller segments and judging by the whole map there´s about 30 of these.
I haven´t mentioned loading screens anywhere, I just don´t like the general exterior world design, if the map is anything to go by.

Ah, I see what you mean.

That's not a big problem for me, though. To me, it's primarily about the loading screens - because it takes me out of the experience. I don't mind transition paths between areas, as it helps create visual variety for the artists. Much like WoW - which I loved for the world design and variety. That world also had some rather "suspect" transitions from area to area, with a rather extreme shift in atmosphere and climate.

But it worked for me, because I adored the variety and the visual impact of moving between different environments.

If you look closer at the map in question, you can see multiple paths between these "bubbles" - and some have forests and things like that for the transition. I don't think we can really be too certain how it will feel and look without seeing the actual transition take place in-game. I agree that it does seem a bit too artificial on that map, but I'm not sure it will feel that way when we actually play it.

But loading screens between areas work like a slap in the face for immersion, to me. They can work when entering buildings or "chapters" (like in Gothic) - but they still bother me.

KoA will have loading screens and that will bother me, but it seems like it will be less of a problem than Divinity 2.

But that's just the one aspect of the game.

I'm still somewhat optimistic about this, but the in-game map really does indicate "areas" that make it more restrictive than Morrowind or Gothic.

I just hope they don't pull a Gothic 4 where exploring each "area" is relatively fast, and then you never look back.

Ok, I suppose so. I don't really remember any item with a history behind it or something that "stood out" for me in that way. Maybe I overlooked it?

It just probably was a bit different in ED.

In DKS, there is:

1. All the randomly generated prefix/suffix stuff.

2. Unique loot which uses "normal" naming conventions, for example Lovis Cohort Sword. Most of these items have set properties plus 1 or more empty enchantment/charm slots on top of that, some have charm/enchantment slots partially filled, few have some of their properties randomized.
There´s usually no backstory written in the description of these, but then again, these items are often tied to a specific character or a quest so you sorta get some backstory while playing. Some have short descriptions attached, like Jackson´s Cleaver which has: "You can cut mean pork chops with this weapon!".
There´s roughly 100 of these in the Ego Draconis portion of the game.

3. Equipment sets. These have set properties, have some more elaborate backstory in their description field (nothing particularly fancy) and, predictably, grant bonuses when 2 or more items of the same set are worn together. These sets consist from 3-10 pieces placed in set locations and there are only 8 of these sets (again, not counting Flames of Vengeance areas), but, well, it takes a looooong time to complete some of these (though it´s not like the individual items are useless unless the set is completed).

Iirc, in Flames of Vengeance there are at least 3 more equipment sets and I have no shine about the amount of unique items, but there certainly are such and often have slightly more wordy descriptions than the uniques from ED.

I used this FAQ for some of the above.

Personally, I liked how the loot was handled in DKS overall and had fun "synergizing" my equipment with character build, as well as with the crafting opportunities. The only bigger flaw I found about it was that some locations/chests which I thought "deserved" to have something unique only produced random stuff, and more unique items in general would be nice, I guess.

When it comes to KoA, at least till I see examples of some of its unique items and sets, as well as how level scaling is handled, I´ll remain more on the sceptical side, because, to cut it short, I have a feeling the game is taking way too gratuitous route when it comes to loot and obtaining an unique item or a part of the set might turn into a "generic" kind of experience fast.

Last edited:
I'm just going to ignore this game's press hype. I have yet to see an rpg, much less an action rpg, that competes with BG for item lore. But perhaps if I stick my head in the sand, I'll be presently surprised come February.

Back
Top Bottom