Skyrim - Full Immersion Video

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
If your interested in virtual reality then Cyberith has a video you have to watch. They play Skyrim using their Cyberith Virtualizer, Oculus Rift, and a Wii Mote.

In this video, you see me as a Dovahkiin in SKYRIM with the VIRTUALIZER, the OCULUS RIFT and a WII MOTE. And again my brain decoupled from reality and i was in the world of Skyrim. It was an amazing experience to interact in that beautiful environment.
More information.

Last edited:
Does Oculus Rift help with getting the door to Esbern unstuck?

Honestly, I'd rather go VR with FarCry3. Nothing gets stuck in there.

That was awesome. This is definitely the next generation of gaming.

I wonder how unhealty this is for your heart. Your getting alot more stress releasing hormones in your blood. Nonetheless it does looks awseome.

I wonder how unhealty this is for your heart. Your getting alot more stress releasing hormones in your blood. Nonetheless it does looks awseome.

Just wonder if I'd need to change underwear after playing...
I get immersed rather deep as it is, according to my wife who sees me jump up and down shouting in front of my desk.

OnT: Would be awesome to try.

C

Interesting yes but awesome? Not in my opinion. If the game is good, it will be immersive enough even when sitting in front of a computer. I have a feeling that wearing all those bits and pieces might actually be quite distracting. But, again, that's just my personal opinion.

Couch and monitor and keyboard/mouse still works for me. That all looks way too uncomfortable.

I agree it looks unconformable, but that is the future of gaming. The Oculus Rift by itself is gaining support among developers, and gamers.

Now if only someone would invent a modern day holodeck.:)

I doubt it. The physical activity looks demanding (lots of change of foot etc) , tear and wear injuries etc

All this kind of stuff requires warming up before performing. Warming up before playing a video game?

Better to go for moderate physical activities or do properly a high intensity physical activity.

I really don't get the appeal of this stuff. I'd much rather be sitting down in my comfortable chair than standing in that contraption. For me, immersion always comes from good writing, not from the environment.

…guess you dont call yourself couchpotatoe for nothing ;)

Imo, the exercise bit with this is great, definitely the right direction for these type of games.

If I want to exercise I go outside and do them properly. If I want to relax, I do it in comfort.

Dead branch of evolutionary tree. I think that motion sensors would be a better idea than this contraption.

Yeah, this stuff is pretty weird. It's like the old fantasy of virtual reality, only since they couldn't make that work, they faked it and tried to make the real world seem virtual. Or something.

I guess it could work for overly simplistic games such as Skyrim (and many other console titles). But this will never catch on with something requiring a modicum of tactical control.

As a huge fan of immersion and evolution in gaming, I'm excited about the possibilities.

Star Citizen with Occulus Rift sounds like a boyhood dream come true.

No, I don't think it's meant for tactical or strategy games - but that pretty much goes without saying.

Looks very interesting. It likely won't replace classic computer gaming, but I would love to have a machine like that.

I agree it looks unconformable, but that is the future of gaming.

I think tablets are the future of gaming, and I really can't see the average casual gamer lugging around all this crap to hook up to their tablets while they are playing games in an airport lounge :)

I think something like this, only virtual, will be the future of gaming. But probably not for a very long time. Somebody is going to have to figure out how to translate back and forth, between thought and code, and there's not much progress on that front.

Rift - very cool.

Wii-motes - not at all cool. The guy isn't able to aim a bow right even at point blank range. Maybe if the remotes were a lot more accurate? Perhaps a Kinect that actually works right?

Treadmill - maybe for a few games but not this one. I think it would be terribly weird to walk forward when your character is supposed to be going up/down steps. The whole "tactile feedback" thing would be extremely wrong.

To be honest i wouldn't like to play skyrim like that, not any other rpg game for that matter. Maybe i could imagine playing few rounds of some shooter, but that kind of setup doesn't look very relaxing or comfortable for longer gaming sessions. And if its excercise i'm looking for, I'd rather go swimming, skiing or jogging to get my fix.

Back
Top Bottom