Dragon Age: Inquisition - Gameplay Trailer

This was obviously the console version. I'm going to assume the PC version has a better interface and better zoom levels. If so, this could actually end up being a fantastic game. I'm surprised by how good it looks.

This was obviously the console version. I'm going to assume the PC version has a better interface and better zoom levels. If so, this could actually end up being a fantastic game. I'm surprised by how good it looks.

Does Bioware make a separate PC-interface these days? Haven't really played their games since DA:O.

Does Bioware make a separate PC-interface these days? Haven't really played their games since DA:O.

The DA games do have PC-interface aka keyboard/mouse (mostly, the inventory is still a crappy list since DAO) an DAI is no different.

I preface this with two things: 1, I am not a Bioware hater, and 2, I realize this is still Alpha.

IMO, this looks bad. Yes, it looks 3D, nice lighting, etc. But it's like a miniature guy with a mini-camera chasing him through one of those really elaborate model train sets hobbyists build. The whole thing looks like it's shot in the Uncanny Valley.

I prefer more stylization and above all, good art direction in games. We simply are not at the point of having photo real environments in games, and this just pushes it to the point where it's weird looking. Besides, even a photo-real forest would be stupidly huge for a video game, and the sheer size is part of what makes a forest seem "real" to us. A photo-real desert that one could run across even in an hour of real time running is ludicrous. Imagine trying to find the Pyramid of Giza by running, starting from the edge of Egypt. Preposterous. These things NEED to be stylized.

Aslo, does every attack need to look like fireworks? The bear in this video is a great example. Dozens of flashy firework-style attacks hit the bear before it goes down. A bear. OK a giant bear. But it diminishes the impact that these abilities have, or should have.

I'm in a bad mood, but I wish we could get games where things start more simply, and we are not immediately plunged into "OMG world is ending save us save us save us everyone has superpowers"

Other than the dragon fight, the combat seemed awfully casual.

And I will also be pretty pissed if this is the only camera option on the PC. From the way the landscape is designed, with all those tracks and narrow canyon-y spaces, I suspect that may be the case.

Aslo, does every attack need to look like fireworks? The bear in this video is a great example. Dozens of flashy firework-style attacks hit the bear before it goes down. A bear. OK a giant bear. But it diminishes the impact that these abilities have, or should have.

You forgot this is from the minds behind the "awesome button" where everything must have bangs and flashes. Guess the target audience must like it. Myself, I get dizzy watching the staff wielding mages twirl around but a friend of mine likes it.

I can't promise playing it.
As I'm not really buying lollypop in Candy Crush Saga.

Back
Top Bottom