Witcher 3 - Open Letter From Marcin Iwinski

I've often pirated to get a demo. I rarely pirate anymore, though, because games are so cheap and easy to come by these days.

As for Steam, the 2 hours are fine for some games - but there are many games that require much more until you know for sure if it's really for you.

Still, it's better than nothing and they had to set a low limit due to the many short games out there.

Really? I haven't bought a game in a store in a long time but around here it's always been if the game is open you can only exchange it for the same title for console games and no return at all on PC games.

As for steam, yes they just started to do that but I haven't looked into it at all to see if there's restrictions.

Well, for the physical copies I have no clue... didn't know those were still sold :) But if you are planning to buy the physical copy and pirate the game first just to check if it is worth it, I guess you might as well check the same thing on your digital platform of choice....

4 million copies. CDP selfpublished, so they get most of the money. Let's say they get 25$ from every copy sold (on PC digital, it is more, on consoles it should be around this). That would mean 100 million in revenue. Game cost 35 million + 35 million marketing, CDP probably footed around 50 mil in total, with rest of the marketing bill paid by distributors and MS.
So CDP should already have a very nice return on investment (some 50 mil) and more than enough resources to develop expansions and Cyberpunk.

And the nice thing is, this game is going to keep selling for the next decade.

Nobody cares about pirates anymore. Most people who pirate would pirate always. The pirates who could be converted into paying customers already have been (most of my friends, for example. Used to get everything on piratebay, now they get it on steam and GOG. For convenience.)

Its crazy that the marketing budget was more than the actual development budget! Here in UK, I saw an advert for Witcher 3 (xbone version ofc) while I was watching cricket on a sports channel and thinking how many crickets fan will even play Witcher 3 (although I am one but I knew about the game before the ad!). Anyway the huge marketing budget must have worked based on the number of copies.

Big marketing push and now they have a legit brand that may eventually be as recognizable as "Elder Scrolls" or "Mass Effect". When I hear Witcher 3 spoken of on random talk-shows and podcasts, we've definitely crossed some kind of RPG Rubicon. And I can't be happier. The game is fantastic and I suspect the game that CDPR wanted to make all along.
As for a movie version, it will be awful, unless… they get Nicolas Winding Refn to direct and he films it in natural surroundings in Czech Republic and N. Ireland and with many no-name actors, ala Valhalla Rising. That's a movie I would see, but that's also a movie that will never be made. Mads Mikkelsen might be a little too old to play the Witcher but he kind of looks the part.

Back
Top Bottom