X3: Terran Conflict

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
This game has eaten me alive for the past six weeks! It didn't get much hype, though, or at least little hype that reached me here in Kansas. Just a few quick trailers on GameTrailers to clue me in. So I'm going to hype it a bit myself.

The game is an Elite-style game with lots of space battles and even more space trading. It's also about the most anti-casual game I've ever seen in my life. The game never really tells you what to do. It's quite happy to offer you missions you can't possibly complete if you're foolish enough to try them. And, if you go and attack a massive fleet with a tiny fighter, you will not find yourself revived a few killometers away with all your stuff. You will be blown up and will need to re-load from your last save. A lot has been learned over the years about what not to do in a game to make it more appealing to the millions of casual gamers out there. I'm pretty sure Egosoft took that blacklist and pasted it straight in to their high priority requirements list.

The game does have quite a few bugs. The game only seems to allow one NPC voice at a time so you may miss out on important story information if a message comes in at just the wrong time. The autopilot sometimes gets confused and slams you into something much bigger than you are. If you start the game in easy mode, you can't complete the tutorial because you have no weapons. Some of the mission objectives are a bit wonky. Extremely busy sectors in the game tend to stutter, too.

If you can soldier on through the bugs, though, this is one heck of a game. I've never seen an empire builder this big before! I started in easy mode with one little trading ship and a tiny fighter (both unarmed). I parked my toothless fighter somewhere, did some trading, bought some nicer software for my trader, and started exploring - trading as I went to earn some cash. After a few days of that (did I mention that this game was big?), I bumped into an abandonded heavy fighter which I sold off for a ton of cash - enough to start a couple of factories up. Once I got those set up, I popped into that toothless fighter, bought it a couple of weapons, and started exploring some more. I earned more money, set up a few more factories, bought a few more ships, bought a pretty big factory complex, and so on. I'm still not done with the game but it's pretty clear from the story arc I have now that I'm going to need to build a galactic empire with one or two hundred factories plus ships to service them to complete it.

There's also the battle side of things. You start out with one little fighter but doing combat missions earns you cash (particularly if the enemy bails out and lets you take their ship) that lets you buy a bigger fighter, then maybe a corvette, then some more fighters to fly along with you, and so on until you have fleets of ships. I've really only scratched the surface on that side of the game, fighting nearly all my fights without a single wingman.

This is a very complex game. If you're looking for a game where you can blow up some aliens to blow off some steam, this isn't your game. The manual is 100 pages long and is still a bit short on information. Heck, I've been playing the game pretty hard for six weeks and I still ended up spending some hours on Saturday figuring out just how to use the huge Orca freighter I was finally able to afford. Many folks hate that but, for me, "still learning after six weeks" is the best compliment I can give a game. Even if some of the bugs are big enough to make me cry when they bite.

I don't think the game is available in stores in the USA but you can get it on Steam for $35.

A few screenshots....

I haven't seen Terran Conflict in stores here, but I picked up X3:Reunion a while back. I haven't gotten beyond installing it and flying in a small circle. I spend countless hours with X2, so I just need to invest some time to get used to the new interface. Definitely a popular series with many folks on this board.

Yeah, X2 ate me alive when it came out. I never got into X3, though; for some reason it just didn't grab me -- perhaps there was too much of a "been there, done that, don't want to go through the grind again" feeling to it.

Wait 'til you get enough money and connections to buy or capture your first capital ship. Now *that's* a feeling of achievement. (Wish the cap ships handled more like cap ships, though; as it is, they're more like slightly cumbersome fighters, which is a bit odd.)

I enjoyed X3:TC much more than X3: Reunion - until the quest balancing screwed up a bit. They've patched it since then but I've been busy with other stuff.

I see they announced Terran Conflict 2.0 today for an April release, which I think is what JDR13 is seeing.

I see they announced Terran Conflict 2.0 today for an April release, which I think is what JDR13 is seeing.

So perhaps Egosoft has forgone releasing the original version altogether in NA? That's fine by me, as long as this "2.0" includes everything the original TC had.

When they released X3:Reunion 2.0 over here, it included nothing but the DVD in a case. I didn't mind because I already had the original version that included the manual. I would hate to see X3:TC 2.0 only released as a "budget" version.

Last edited:
I thought it had been released but to be honest, I didn't pay much attention. Steam was the primary release and I take no interest in retail stores.

It's a $39.99 release, so I guess that would include some sort of manual. Dunno.

It's got an Adobe manual. A pretty good manual, too, though there are some silly formatting problems in it.

Some of the missions in TC still have major issues, particularly the namesake Terran Conflict story arc. Getting through that one without hitting the boards for spoilers would be very difficult. For instance, in one mission you are supposed to scan a pirate base. How? It doesn't say. As it turns out, you have to fly close to the base then the scan will start all by itself. And when I say close, I mean CLOSE. I flew inside the docking bay and still wasn't close enough!

Ooops, yeah, price is now $40. I got lucky and hit Steam when there was a sale - X3:TC and X3:R for just $35.

What's this about an announcement for TC 2 in April? The official forums have a beta testing topic but I don't see any announcement like that.

It's got an Adobe manual. A pretty good manual, too, though there are some silly formatting problems in it.

That is why I don't like buying those types of games from sites like STEAM. I just prefer to have a physical copy+manual that I can grab whenever I like.

That is why I don't like buying those types of games from sites like STEAM. I just prefer to have a physical copy+manual that I can grab whenever I like.

Same here.

I'm waiting for the day until manuals are nothing but simple ASCII or UNICODE text files anymore, put on the CD/DVD by the makers ...

Why bother with layout and typography if you can have it all in a simple text file ? Would reduce costs even further ... :mellow:

Same here.

I'm waiting for the day until manuals are nothing but simple ASCII or UNICODE text files anymore, put on the CD/DVD by the makers ...

Why bother with layout and typography if you can have it all in a simple text file ? Would reduce costs even further ... :mellow:

Better yet make games so simple you dont need manuals in the first place..

Yes, but in earlier times, really good manuals could be as good as small novels ... Long, long gone, that ...

Too expensive to manufacture. Paper costs are always on the rise.

Partly due to this thread I bought X2 Collector's Edition on ebay.

1,50 Euros plus 4 Euros shipping ain't that bad. ;)

Plus, I've got something to read now ... ;)

Partly due to this thread I bought X2 Collector's Edition on ebay.

1,50 Euros plus 4 Euros shipping ain't that bad. ;)

Plus, I've got something to read now ... ;)

Cool, I never knew there was a collector's edition for X2. Of course it doesn't surprise me that they didn't release it in the US.

Well, there are collector's editions that aren't released here, too. ;)
Or in the form they have overseas ...

The X2 CE consists of the game, an additional disc (DVD ?), and a novel. Plus a small "Tips & ricks" booklet.

I now have every game in the X series except for Terran Conflict. Version 2.0 gets released over here next month, the original release of X3:TC was never published in the US.

As soon as I get caught up on my crpgs, I'll actually start playing the X series instead of just collecting them. ;)

You do realize the just the base X2 can easily suck up over 100 hours if you so much as dabble in the economic end of it? We might never see you again.

You do realize the just the base X2 can easily suck up over 100 hours if you so much as dabble in the economic end of it? We might never see you again.

Lol, why do you think I've been afraid to start playing the X games to this point?

Anyways, I've got what might end up being a long break from work right now, so I'm looking to get some serious gaming in. So many RPGs in queue though....

Back
Top Bottom