Arcania - Official Sys Reqs Updated

The only thing screenshots prove is photshop skill. ;)

Wow, three pages of comments about an article on spec requirements on a single player RPG. And it seem far to many of the posters don't meet the minimum requirements and won't or at least are hesitant to get the game. That is pretty sad when you think that the people who post here are their base customers. Therefore it's pretty clear, as other posters have pointed out. these developers are aiming for the console crowd. It's sort of an amazing choice, when you consider many RPG players (like me) consider Gothic 1 & 2 to be the best ever RPG ON THE COMPUTER.

I'll get this one in January when I plan to get a new system. Untill then New Vegas or Two Worlds II will be in my dvd-drive.

On the Games Com, Arcania looked like any other good-looking RPG. I didn't have the impression at all that some really weird specs would be needed.

The only thing I really didn't like much was the hands. They rather looked like little "branches" to me, not like natural hands at all. Or maybe I'm too much detail oriented. ;)

I think I also remember lack of AA. But I don't know for sure anymore.
Plus, of course these were only test builds, early.
Maybe I should have taken a look into the "options" menu. ;)

The "Recommended Requirements" are unrealistically high.
Unless their definition of recommended is quite different to the one the industry uses this will be Gothic 3 all over again.

I'm not preordering this game. But I conitue to be cautiously optimistic. Jowood has a lot riding on this game this time. It will be incredible if they deliver another G3 or FG debacle (or somewhere inbetween).

In the history of computer RPGs, it really isn't surprising that the system requirements are high. Maybe some of you are just too young to remember the glory days of the 80s and 90s where each new release of an Ultima game required an entirely new computer - forget about upgrading.

Anyway, time will tell. I'd recomend those of you concerned keep your mind open. Don't preorder the game but don't write it off entirely either. When it's released, take a look at what the press says about the game and of course what people on this board say to help make your final purchasing decision.

I upgraded my rig before summer and been playing plenty of demanding games. I say it have been worth it.

Strong words.

a) Please name at least one RPG which looks better than Arcania.
b) Which engine are they using and what makes you think it's crap?

I can't believe you said that Gorath! Oblivion and Fallout 3 look immensely better and play immensely better than ANYTHING ever put out by any of the Gothic variations. I have just lost IMMENSE respect for anything you post.

I can't believe you said that Gorath! Oblivion and Fallout 3 look immensely better and play immensely better than ANYTHING ever put out by any of the Gothic variations. I have just lost IMMENSE respect for anything you post.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 look like crap compared to Arcania as far as I concern.

Or maybe you were ironic.

This debate about sys requirement feels like a moot pont to me really.

Considering there is a demo coming two weeks before the game's release, everybody even remotely interested will have to opportunity to try it out on their computer and see how that goes really.

-Sergorn

Strong words.

a) Please name at least one RPG which looks better than Arcania.
b) Which engine are they using and what makes you think it's crap?
like the man below me said, the game is not out so we don't know what it looks like... Doubt it can look better than Crysis 1/2 and it has twice the specs.

Clearly they will not take advantage of directx 10.
So, why do i think the engine is crap? it doesn't implement new technology, has the highest demands ever and for all we know for now has huge issues with an entire line of CPU-s...
need more?

I wonder how these hacks expect to get this thing running on ps3 if 8800gtx is the minimum for pc. PS3 has nv47 (basically a generation older chip).

like the man below me said, the game is not out so we don't know what it looks like… Doubt it can look better than Crysis 1/2 and it has twice the specs.
I knew you would post something like this. That's why my reaction was so harsh.

Crysis is no RPG. Crysis doesn't need to calculate RPG-specific things. In that sense Crysis - and every other shooter - is primitive compared to every RPG.
Do you really think it makes sense to compare apples with oranges?

Clearly they will not take advantage of directx 10.
So, why do i think the engine is crap? it doesn't implement new technology, has the highest demands ever and for all we know for now has huge issues with an entire line of CPU-s… need more?
Who tells you the engine doesn't support DX10/11 features? (It does.) Maybe JoWooD decided against using them, but this doesn't mean they're not there. If you want to know the exact feature set feel free to go to the middleware dev's homepage and look it up.

The "problem" is not comfirmed. It's only the official version. We'll know in a couple of days if there really is a problem or if the performance is outright terrible.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 look like crap compared to Arcania as far as I concern.

Have to agree..

Also, i don't get how people can compare this to games like Crysis? Crysis is a shooter, it clearly havent as much going on as in a RPG, Crysis doesnt have real time night/day cycles or NPC's going on with their lives, stats to track etc etc. The comparison is idiotic. (hehe ninja'd by Gorath)..

Also this looks as good as Crysis imo.. Crysis is quite old now, hell, even Morrowind with MGE resembles Crysis nowadays :p

Crysis is no RPG. Crysis doesn't need to calculate RPG-specific things. In that sense Crysis - and every other shooter - is primitive compared to every RPG.

Keeping in mind - that is the Gothic 4 engine is anything like the oldet Gothic games, it's gonna be :
- A fully seamless engine: meaning no zoning whenever you get inside a home or something like some other RPGs I don't need to mention
- NPC schedules with NPCs constantly moving around and doing things and potentially reacting to the player's action.

Basically this is the kind of engine that IS very taxing by nature in term of power required and FPS - there is a reason Oblivion have all its interiors and cities in separate maps you know…

And of course these kind of engine is also way more difficult to optimise

Now granted, Risen was out a year ago, had a similar kind of engine and didn't require such a mamoth of a computer - but judging from the screens and video Gothic IV does look to be pushing graphics much farther than Risen (which for all intend and purpose basically looked like little less than an improved Gothic 3 in term of graphics).

And they say wait&see - perhaps the game is terribly optimised, but people should remember this sort of seamless engine really is taxing, which is why most developpers don't do them.

wait, wait, wait
Fallout 3 may look better than Gothic (s) but play better??? And you include Oblivion in that sentence also. I would say as a whole most RPGer admired Fallout 3, but there are tons of RPGers that both admired and LOVED Gothic (1&2). I mean come on, we're posting in a Gothic thread.

I knew you would post something like this. That's why my reaction was so harsh.

Who tells you the engine doesn't support DX10/11 features? (It does.) Maybe JoWooD decided against using them, but this doesn't mean they're not there. If you want to know the exact feature set feel free to go to the middleware dev's homepage and look it up.

The "problem" is not comfirmed. It's only the official version. We'll know in a couple of days if there really is a problem or if the performance is outright terrible.
Crysis is not primitive compared to every RPG, it's bullshit.
It had huge open spaces, seamless loading and loads of enemies with great AI.
Crysis was just developed by much better programmers (some of the best out there). That's the whole point.
As a programmer myself i know what kind of logic is required for what and there is nothing CPU/GPU heavy (except for usually more complex enemy movement animation) that a standard RPG requires over Crysis.

If they used directX10/11 it would be specified for recommended specs. fact.
if they did use it and didn't put it, their mistake.

"The "problem" is not comfirmed. It's only the official version."
so, they went official with a problem that is not confirmed. sense?

Keeping in mind - that is the Gothic 4 engine is anything like the oldet Gothic games, it's gonna be :
- A fully seamless engine: meaning no zoning whenever you get inside a home or something like some other RPGs I don't need to mention
- NPC schedules with NPCs constantly moving around and doing things and potentially reacting to the player's action.

All of which has been done before and has thus shouldn't be such a resource drain. Unless they are doing some doofus thing like rendering *all* the people moving around 99.44% of which you can't see.

"The "problem" is not comfirmed. It's only the official version." so, they went official with a problem that is not confirmed. sense?

It was a marketing statement. JoWooD/DC got under pressure and said something to get the discussion under control. We'll see if it was the truth.

The only thing I really didn't like much was the hands. They rather looked like little "branches" to me, not like natural hands at all. Or maybe I'm too much detail oriented. ;)

Bet you loved Dragon Age then :p I'm not detail oriented, but, especially for the elves, I couldn't help staring...

Back
Top Bottom