Hardcore Games - 12 Best PC RPGs of All Time

Saying I was trolling is ridiculous. All I did was point out that this guy's memory is pretty faulty if he really thinks he played Ultima I on an Atari 2600. The 2600 is an iconic device, and nobody with even rudimentary knowledge or memory of gaming history would think a game like Ultima I would have ever been on it. He even further proved my point later by implying he thought that the Atari 2600 had a floppy disk drive.

It's still completely irrelevant. Atari 8-bit series was released two years after the 2600, and this was all 35+ years ago. Not everyone has a perfect memory for 40 years. I don't even remember which Mario was released on NES vs SNES, except that Super Mario World (with Yoshi!) must have been SNES only. I remember that one specifically, as it was my favorite Super Mario game.

I remember playing Stunts a lot, but I don't remember - nor do I care - which operating system or computer it was on. Probably DOS or Win 3.1, and I have no idea about the hardware used. Regular pentium? Were they out yet? Maybe it was just a 486? I honestly don't remember, nor is it relevant, as I still played Stunts for hundreds of hours and know everything about it.

In fact, I replace computer parts so often I couldn't even tell you what was in my computers three years ago. The graphics cards were probably GTX680 in the desktops and some AMD card in my notebook, but the other stuff? I haven't got a clue.

Can't agree with those sentiments, frankly. No old-school gamer I know has ever confused the most well-known game console of all time (2600) with a home computer. Judging by your anecdotes, I guess your memory is fairly bad :) But that's OK, and we are way off-topic.

Regarding hardware it really is rubbish, yes, because I simply always keep at least one high end machine and that's the end of it. I have no concerns beyond that, and I don't get sentimental regarding hardware.

However, my memory in games is something else entirely. I could blindly guide someone through the likes of MM7, BG or Gothic even now. Every location, every quest and so on. It just sticks. Hardware? Not so much. It's forgotten almost as soon as I replace it.

Atari 2600 the most well-known console of all time? I severy doubt that. I didn't know what is was so I had to look it up. My first gaming memories are from the Commodore 64, which might not qualify as a console but I'm guessing it's still more famous than the Atari 2600? And don't even get me started on the NES, I mean, EVERYONE i knew had one of those, I if I were to make a guess I'd say that's the worlds most widely known console. But it all comes down to which generation you belong I presume, I was born in -81 so the Atari 2600 was a little before my time. Ask someone who was born in the nineties about the NES and they would probably shrug. They might remember some game from it though, like Maylander says it's never been about the hardware. It's all about the games. ;)

Last edited:
Can't agree with those sentiments, frankly. No old-school gamer I know has ever confused the most well-known game console of all time (2600) with a home computer. Judging by your anecdotes, I guess your memory is fairly bad :) But that's OK, and we are way off-topic.

Sure, you've asked all the old-school gamers you know about this specific issue, right?

I call bullshit.

Even if that was true, it's of minimal importance.

You went too far for no real reason, from where I'm sitting.

But who cares. It's over now, and I suggest forgetting about it.

Since this topic is hijacked anyways... I never bothered with consoles, my first gaming platform was a Commodore 64 and then PC 286. After that I only ever bought and used non-apple PCs.

I'm not quite sure what I just saw in that Zelda commercial, but I'm sure I can't unsee it.

Back
Top Bottom