Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick

I'm in for $35 - wish I could do more. The $95 tier was so tempting but I'm too broke for that.

Anyway, totally psyched for this game. Even if it had nothing to do with Planescape Torment the setting looks like it'll be awesome. I'm planning to get the Numenera PnP books as well, when they come out.

So far going (much?) better than Eternity. Can't help but think that the most credit should go to Fargo and co's expertise on Kickstarter timing etc rather then the pitch itself.

Sure - great marketing - but isn't it also indicative of how a lot of us want to see the game industry develop? This KS certainly sends a message if it wasn't that clear already.

Incredible! I had never expected this to do so well. I secured myself a spot within the $95 tier although I would not be surprised if they would increase the limit for the special edition box.

I love the setting and the story approach and on the KS main page they write exactly those things that I want to hear. Not pledging is simply not an option.

Interesting, some Day 1 numbers from Interplay veterans and Chris Roberts:

Backers:
Wasteland 2: 8,204
Project Eternity: 16,612
Star Citizen: 2,300*
Torment: 21,545

Funding:
Wasteland 2: $470,575
Project Eternity: $705,095
Star Citizen: $95,576*
Torment: $1,111,363

*I don't have anything on the website campaign that ran concurrently with the KS campaign.

Interesting, some Day 1 numbers from Interplay veterans and Chris Roberts:

Backers:
Wasteland 2: 8,204
Project Eternity: 16,612
Star Citizen: 2,300*
Torment: 21,545

Funding:
Wasteland 2: $470,575
Project Eternity: $705,095
Star Citizen: $95,576*
Torment: $1,111,363

*I don't have anything on the website campaign that ran concurrently with the KS campaign.
These numbers are taken from the Kicktraq website but they are misleading as the Kicktraq day counter is not reset and synchronised with the Kickstarter day counter. Consequently, the data of the first Kicktraq day only includes a portion of the the full first 24 hours.

900k in 6 hours!!!!!Interestingly PS:T was financial failure it barely broken even(IIRC it sold only around 80k copies in year it came out but it was long time ago so someone correct me if I am wrong),and now it's on top 5 selling games on GoG and it's spiritual successor is breaking records on kickstarter on concept alone.It's nice this masterpiece is getting recognition it deserves.

Yeah Planescape was a pretty poor seller when it was first released so I never thought I would see any kind of sequel to it.
But all the great press and reviews it has received over the years has finally kicked in so to speak.

Plus places like GOG getting so popular and giving classic games another chance with both old-time gamers and new younger ones.
Lennart Sas of Triumph Studios said the Age of Wonders series has made more money from selling on GOG than the games did when they first were released, probably the same thing happening here for Torment.

The art design and theme is mile better than anything shown about Project Eternity so far.The wastelands demo looks solid too, so I backed it.

Lennart Sas of Triumph Studios said the Age of Wonders series has made more money from selling on GOG than the games did when they first were released, probably the same thing happening here for Torment.
^Regarding this topic, I know it's unrelated but I don't remember it being discussed:
What happens with the sales of games whose developer and/or publisher doesn't exist anymore. I can understand how getting a license to a game works and that the fee paid by GOG is subject to the contractual agreements between the owner of the IP and the various parties involved in developing and publishing but what happens with the dollars earned by the sales?
More specifically, who apart from GOG gets nowadays money from games like PS:T and Fallout? What happens with the Gothics whose publisher has gone bankrupt but the developers still operate?

These numbers are taken from the Kicktraq website but they are misleading as the Kicktraq day counter is not reset and synchronised with the Kickstarter day counter. Consequently, the data of the first Kicktraq day only includes a portion of the the full first 24 hours.

I'm also assuming that Kicktraq maintains a consistent rule across all KS campaigns and while the day is not out for Torment, the trend indicated is still valid.

^Regarding this topic, I know it's unrelated but I don't remember it being discussed:
What happens with the sales of games whose developer and/or publisher doesn't exist anymore. I can understand how getting a license to a game works and that the fee paid by GOG is subject to the contractual agreements between the owner of the IP and the various parties involved in developing and publishing but what happens with the dollars earned by the sales?
More specifically, who apart from GOG gets nowadays money from games like PS:T and Fallout? What happens with the Gothics whose publisher has gone bankrupt but the developers still operate?

I presume that the rights holder/s get the money.

I'm also assuming that Kicktraq maintains a consistent rule across all KS campaigns and while the day is not out for Torment, the trend indicated is still valid.
I disagree. If I understand the workings of Kicktraq correctly, the overlap within the first day varies depending on when the Kickstarter starts within the Kicktraq day cycle.

EDIT:
Double Fine Adventure got funded after 8 hours but the first day of the Kicktraq numbers would indicate a "slow" 1st day.

I presume that the rights holder/s get the money.
Exactly.

IP & distribution rights don't simply disappear. They are bought, sold, sub-licensed, etc. There's always somebody willing to buy old IP for a small amount of money.

If a games company goes bankrupt its IPs are sold or auctioned off. See the THQ situation at the moment.
Sometimes there are time limits or certain conditions upon which "the rights" (whatever that specifically means) fall back to the licensor.

PB owns the Gothic brand and all rights for the first Gothic. Whoever sells Gothic 1 made a deal with PB.
Observation tells me that the publishing and distribution rights for G2 and G3 still reside with Nordic Games, who bought them when JoWooD went belly-up. Deep Silver seems no longer involved, although they were co-publisher for G3.

Hey Brother None, Chris Taylor claimed that Project Eternity and the other big kickstarters were actually looking for $3 Million dollars, and only asked for 1 to have a better chance of getting it. If Torment only reached the $1 million goal, would InExile have to lay people off since it wasn't enough money?

Lay off? Hmmm. I don't think so, at least not immediately, but the current core team for Torment is fairly barebones with people committed to join as funds become available. Well, they would've had to lay me off, but I think I might be the only immediate victim in the $1 million scenario. Torment will be fully budgeted out of its own budget, and $1 million was a realistic amount, though you could also imagine the team shrinking a bit if WL2 did abysmally in sales. We asked for the minimum we needed, I really am not a fan of Kickstarters asking for less than they need, but it was the bare minimum, so the team might've seen some downsizing.

Wasn't interested initially but the pitch video showed correct focus and a potentially great foundations to create a game as a game in the spirit of PS:T. What's with the 900k goals though? Why has it been specifically 900k rather than 1m?

We did need at least 1M. If we only hit 900K, Brian would've paid the other $100K from his own personal funds. Now he'll match every donation dollar with 10 cents of his own until 2M, so if we hit 2M+ he'll still end up paying $100K. Dude really wants to get rid of his money :D

I want paypal.

Coming ASAP.

Invoking "torment" is mostly responsible, I think.

Really hard work is mostly responsible, I think. Haha. We worked our asses off.

As others have said, rights holders. Interplay for Fallout currently, with Bethesda taking over in 2014. Hasbro is the rights holder and publisher of Planescape: Torment.

I posted this in the other thread but guess this one is the official one now...

over a million now, funded in 1 day, again. Interesting thing is that there was one spot available at the $20 tier, which I selected, went through the payment process and all. Haven't received a 'thank you for backing us' email yet, but got the 'you authorized to pay $20 in Amazon'. And checking my kickstarter account I don't have the game in my list of pledges. I wonder if I got stuck in some sort of borderline limbo.

Brother None, if there's any way the team including Mr. Cook would be willing to do a Numenera Core/Player pdf/e-book as addons, I'd totally throw more money in. I somehow missed the Numenera campaign and regret it.

wolfing, keep an eye on that, if it's still weird tomorrow, send a support ticket to Kickstarter. They do have occasional bugs.

Brother None, if there's any way the team including Mr. Cook would be willing to do a Numenera Core/Player pdf/e-book as addons, I'd totally throw more money in. I somehow missed the Numenera campaign and regret it.

The player guide and corebook, both digital and physical, are included in a lot of the tiers, excepting the lowest ones. We are limited in the amounts we can offer both digitally and physically (Monte doesn't want to give away thousands upon thousands of copies of his hard work, obviously, he still needs to sell em) so we can't do it as an add-on, but they're in there for many tiers.

Back
Top Bottom