Risen 2 - Firebird Bestiary Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Risen 2 site has a bestiary update for the Firebird:
Mysterious screams and dangerous rustlings encompass the jungles of the new world. The natives have already recognized that these screams can only come from one being – the Firebird!
To the natives, the creatures have been feared for generations and have been attributed with magical powers.
To outsiders, the Firebirds are strangers and a new danger, especially since the expansion in the Southern Sea. It is very rare for an explorer to survive a confrontation with a Firebird unharmed.
More information.

Oh dear Risen 2 I worry about you. Still no pre-order on steam? Console version delayed? Iffy previews and not that many of them.

This is going to suck, isn't it?

Oh dear Risen 2 I worry about you. Still no pre-order on steam? Console version delayed? Iffy previews and not that many of them.

This is going to suck, isn't it?

Depends. Did you like Gothic and Risen 1?
Then, no.

BTW, from when is preorder status even a thing RPGers care about?!

Since PB decided to give day one DLC with preorders. Said DLC is the continuation of Steelbeard's Treasure quest from Risen 1. That's why we care.

Edit: Bird looks interesting, I hope they hunt in packs and use flanking tactics.

You know this doesn't look much like a bird, maybe it should have been called a firelizard? I believe the definition of a bird includes that it is, feathered, winged and warmbloodied, that doesn't look like any of those.

I suspect they called it that so it wouldn't tie in with Gothic.

It is pretty cool though! :biggrin:

Daniel.

To be honest, maybe it's time to start boycotting games with 0-day DLC and preorder/collector edition with additional game content? I mean, incentives that are not important to the gameplay like soundtrack, artworks, and the like are fine with me, but that is not good.
And after ME3 I am really fed up with such shit. I was looking forward to Risen 2 but maybe I will just skip it.

Piranha Bytes make excellent deep RPG's, which I think should be encouraged, I'll buy the game regardless of silly marketing nonsense, they may even have been pressured into it by their publishers for all we know.

I've been checking Amazon UK most every day for the PC pre-order without success, hopefully soon. :)

Daniel.

I know, and I really love PB's games. Gothic 1&2 are among my all time favourite games, I have played them many times. But the way customer are treated by the game industry is getting worse all the time, with all the nonsense about preorder bonuses, collectors only missions, draconian DRM and suchlike, and that makes me think it is time to draw a line.

I can't help but feel the publishers would just assume that people don't want to buy games like Risen and then just refuse to back any more of their games.

It's Piranha Bytes and us who would miss out, the publishers would just back another first person shooter instead. :(

Daniel.

And after ME3 I am really fed up with such shit. I was looking forward to Risen 2 but maybe I will just skip it.

The ME3 DLC is a different issue, no matter what, you have to pay for it (direct or by purchasing the expensive CE). And it is proven to be a lie, it wasn't developed after the main game, it was just cut.

The Risen 2 DLC is free, if you preorder at selected retailers. The problem is, a lot of people cannot preorder it for reasons beyond their control. So it sucks, but not on the ME3 level.

I can't help but feel the publishers would just assume that people don't want to buy games like Risen and then just refuse to back any more of their games.

And I think that they are digging their own grave by doing that. You can only sell that much of genric shooters before people stop buying them (I hope). Either way, I feel bad for PB, but it's their decision to have that marketing scheme, and I am fed up with it. If we keep buying, they will keep using it.

The Risen 2 DLC is free, if you preorder at selected retailers. The problem is, a lot of people cannot preorder it for reasons beyond their control. So it sucks, but not on the ME3 level.

I agree, it doesn't suck as much, but it still sucks. And if you cannot make that preorder (because for example you have no access to the selected retailer), then it sucks just as much. You have to pay for the game, and then buy DLC to have a complete game. Sorry, but it stinks.

EDIT: This is not particularly aimed at Piranha Bytes, it is just a case of me finally growing a spine after the ME3 absurdity.

I don't think that boycotting a game you want to play would get you anywhere. Even though buying something you don't want to buy, for whatever reason, just so the publishers won't get the wrong idea is absurd. But if you are against the DLCs and the preorders then just boycott those instead and your message will be clearer.

Then just don't buy the next game from Bioware or any other big developer that does this kind of thing. We need to keep as many of the kind of rpgs that PB are making going as possible or we may have none. (unless Kickstarter really does stay and become a big part of gaming)

PS. I agree to boycotting the dlc content though since that will show more that people don't want it then boycotting the game itself. Just don't bother preordering Risen 2 and don't buy the dlc and it would send a better message. (as long as enough people go that way)

I don't think that boycotting a game you want to play would get you anywhere.

And how exactly would I boycott a game I do not want to play?

Then just don't buy the next game from Bioware or any other big developer that does this kind of thing.

Oh, that's for certain. I am pretty certain I will not buy any more BioWare games, at least until they change their business practices (which I personally doubt will happen).

Just don't bother preordering Risen 2 and don't buy the dlc and it would send a better message. (as long as enough people go that way)

I don't know, not pre-ordering but buying the game anyway would mean that I get less game for the same price. Seems to me that it only sends a message that I ma stupid. I think not buying the game at all sends a rather clearer message.

Last edited:
I think not buying the game at all sends a rather clearer message.

And what message would that be?

Not buying it at all would seem to indicate that you simply weren't interested in playing Risen 2. It's not going to give them the idea that you're upset about getting free DLC for pre-ordering.

Not buying it at all would seem to indicate that you simply weren't interested in playing Risen 2. It's not going to give them the idea that you're upset about getting free DLC for pre-ordering.

And buying the game gives them the idea that all is fine. After all, you bought it, you gave them your money, how does it in any way indicate you do not approve of the pre-order situation (and I do not have anything against add-ons/DLC after launch, but pre-order or pay is bad)? It simply doesn't.
Not buying of course does not indicate why are you not buying. But that is their problem, to find out why people do not buy their game (no knowledge of it, dislike of the features, dislike of pre-order scheme for example). I may even inform them about it, and somehow I feel that saying "I do not like this and I won't buy" is more conving to them than "I don't like this, here is my money". Just how I see it.

Whatever... I just want to know where can I preorder it, because the launch date came too close.

I see nothing wrong with enticing people to pre-order by including some free DLC for doing so. I think it's great actually. If I gave a damn about the free DLC, I would definitely pre-order, but I don't care enough right now, and I'll simply purchase the DLC down the road when I get around to playing Risen 2.

I also have no problem with companies offering day 1 DLC. I don't agree that just because it's available on day 1 it should have been included in the original game. They created the original game and DLC separately, so they should be offered separately in accord with their plan of doing so. Also, why wouldn't a fan of the game in question like day 1 DLC? That means you get MORE GAME and you DON'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR IT!!! How is that a bad thing??

Back
Top Bottom