The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

That's tougher than I initially thought, Mike.

blueScreen's sophomore offering (both tracks from there)
Catcher's sophomore release (tracks 1 and 3 from that one)
Lush's final release (track 4)
Slowdive's final release (tracks 2 and 4) (paid $40 to import this POS only to discover they forgot to include any frickin melody amid the repetition)

Own all 4 because it's 4 of my favorite groups, and all 4 are huge disappointments. The Slowdive cd technically doesn't qualify for Mike's challenge--I traded it to the guitarist of Hinterland for a signed copy of their 2nd release, so I don't listen to it anymore.

On the good side, this hunt caused me to stumble on a new page of Slowdive clips, including a really good song that I don't think I've been able to share before:
When the Sun Hits by Slowdive

-Interval-

Sorry guys, not part of the challenge, but I had to write this:

I'm listening now to some of the Half-Life 2 music. Very climatic. You know, listening to this, I sometimes think that HL2 is the true successor to the Fallout series. *ducks*

nice... a pure linear shooter is the evolution of a sandbox rpg.

as far as train wreck albums go that's a tough one for me. i usually only listen to a lot of the same bands that i enjoy all of there stuff. if there is a train wreck its either due to a bad album or me not liking the evolution of the band which rarely happens.
u2 - all that you can't leave behind. listened to it for a solid month and had fond memories of it during a week's visit in new york that winter. but after that period never again. the album had some decent writing but it seemed so much like a prozac induced comma that didn't change emotionally even if the world came crashing down--i suppose the perfect album to listen to while being in a train wreck
the follow up album i listen to once and haven't again since. occasionally i listen to some of their older stuff: boy, unforgettable fire, or zooropa usually fit the bill.

live - v i was a huge live fan for a few years and it really helped to evolve my music tastes in a roundabout way through pensive lyrics etc. didn't really get into them 'til their third album and when the fourth came out it was a wonderful album. there first album is also excellent and the one i've probally listened to most frequently but after that when v came out it was just not the right thing for me and i guess i had already moved on. when the sixth one came out "birds of prey" i wasn't even paying attention and picked it up much later for a few bucks and have yet to listen to it. its funny though ed kowalzacyk (probably spelled it wrong) writing apparently had a lot of influence on me since i wrote a poem titled that a few years or more than the album even came out. it also synchroniztic that this evening when i came home i just missed seeing them on ellen as my wife point out.
here's a clip from the most recent "ed" listening i've done. no talking just head - is a compiliation i pick up for a few bucks off ebay nearly 5 years ago. its got a few stand out tracks and although it technically may not count as one its 1 of 2 talking heads albums i own. play the track "indie hair" would you kindly
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1103950/a/No+Talking+Just+Head.htm

These folks get a lot of buzz in the shoegaze/dreampop world, but I didn't get terribly excited about them. A little too electronica most of the time. This tune is pretty darn cool, though. Sort of has that gothic "epic pageantry" tone.

"Skin of the Night" by M83

@curious- somehow I felt compelled to play that track, and then go shoot guys in diving suits... That cd shows that Tina and Jerry are pretty good writers, too.

Proving that good music can come from just about anywhere, here's some very pretty stuff from that Mecca of dreampop, Indionesia.

"Light Inside" by My Violaine Morning

Returning to the 'light' stuff ... we were listening to Veggie Tunes on our way back and forth to my older son's basketball game ... on *my* iPod of course ;)

nice... a pure linear shooter is the evolution of a sandbox rpg.

I was only joking, of course. ;) What I thought of was all those wrecked cars sinking in radioactive toxic waste, but most of all, some of the ambient music tracks which, to me, are really Fallout-ish.

Now/recently: Some tracks from the "Inspired by The Witcher music" CD which came with the EE. Tracks 8-12, mostly. Even thought I finished the Witcher a while ago, I keep listening to the soundtrack(s) from time to time.

Last part of Mike Oldfield's "Incantations". One of my favourite pieces of his music.

Just grabbed Joshua Redman's new release Compass from Amazon MP3 ... $13 now for new releases ... better than the happy new $15 iTunes pricing ... back to the good ol' record company screwing us days ...

Fortunately it is good stuff, Redman was an early bright star until people realized he would never be truly great ... fortunately he is settling into a solid niche of releases.

I'm listening to the Wheel of Time Soundtrack again. I had some songs saved for a long time, didn't know there was an entire album out. The vocal songs aren't from the game and sound horrible, however, with the exception of Dahl.

strange boutique - de milo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBqPwFne8Jo
wow, the only video from a bedazzled band i'd never heard of. i enjoyed it quite a bit
There's some interesting bands at the beginning of the Bedazzled catalog. I think I tracked down the complete list over at the Shinkansen site (they ended up with the rights somehow). I hadn't heard anything from Strange Boutique before, so thanks for the pointer. Now I just need to find a track from Difference Engine to taste, and then a couple hundred bucks for some eBay hunting.

It's criminal that Bedazzled died. What a stable of stellar artists...

Back
Top Bottom