Gothic - Community Patch Input

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Remember the unofficial/community patch for Gothic II from Ironkeep Studios we posted about a couple of weeks back? Kostaz writes Ironkeep is looking to work on a patch for Gothic (I) and is asking for input:
So, we want to hear from you guys. What bugs, if any, have bothered you when playing Gothic 1? This is where you can let us know about it. Stuff to include might be AI/Pathfinding issues, rendering/graphics issues, script or code errors, errors/inconsistencies in the dialogue/texts etc. If you're having a problem, we'd like to hear about it. Even dialogue/text errors are acceptable.
More information.

Wow ... that is great that they are working on it ... personally I find the little stuff to be part of the 'character' of the games at this point and would never apply a patch like that.

Wow ... that is great that they are working on it ... personally I find the little stuff to be part of the 'character' of the games at this point and would never apply a patch like that.

Some little bugs, yeah, I suppose, but remember the one where the shaman-sword-thingies would disappear? If I remeber correctly, though, Gothic didn't have any other game-breaking bugs...

Can't remember anything else, at the moment.

I get the feeling as if they're doing this to boost their reputation among Gothic fans.

Kind of "you remember them guys who brought out the patch ?" "Yeah." "Welll, they did a game now." "Okay, I'll buy."

It did have quite a few critical issues, for example:

- The trigger issue in the Orc cemetery.
- Everything which required a ".... book" to be fixed.
- A CTD in the final dungeon claiming a certain sound file was not found.

There was more, but I don't remember it.

I get the feeling as if they're doing this to boost their reputation among Gothic fans.

Kind of "you remember them guys who brought out the patch ?" "Yeah." "Welll, they did a game now." "Okay, I'll buy."

Quite unfair, don't you think?

Quite unfair, don't you think?

I don't know. I hardly know them. In fact, I have NEVER heard of them. Within me, they definitively reach this goal. Apart from the question whether to buy or not to buy their forthcoming game.

I don't know. I hardly know them. In fact, I have NEVER heard of them. Within me, they definitively reach this goal. Apart from the question whether to buy or not to buy their forthcoming game.
I don't think they're developing a game,Ironkeep is just a modteam.

Indeed, we do these things willingly. We don't and we won't get paid for our work.

There are definetly bugs and issues in Gothic 1, but most of us are probably so used to playing around the bugs we don't notice them anymore. I can't recall anything specific, but I do know I've had issues in the past.

Inventory Icons not showing up in the Inventory when you have a certain ATI Radeon series graphics card. Not a game-breaker but a PITA.

Inventory Icons not showing up in the Inventory when you have a certain ATI Radeon series graphics card. Not a game-breaker but a PITA.
I think you should post it here.

I meant your post.

Yes the thread is already here at the watch - - >
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7370
For me there is no need for any fixes above and beyond what we already have.

Playing the game correctly from start to finish many times resulted in no problems or bugs for me, the storyline is well controlled and cannot be by-passed in any way.

Glitches caused by many incorrect pc setups etc are another thing.

Why should a player who can go from start to finish without critical hiccups want to install a fix-patch or mod. Mods are alternative play but not critical requirement fixes. International versions (1.08j and k) were inclusive of the final fix PB patch.

There is nothing wrong with game patchers enthusiasm just as long as it remains realistic, relevent and not over zealous to their alter ego. :)

I don't know. I hardly know them. In fact, I have NEVER heard of them
Well then obviously you are completely qualified to cast dispersions. :)

Apologizes if these have been listed, don't have time to read all the threads.

For the stealthier types, Gorn has a HUGE AI issue in the last mine, rushing in and taking control of the situation from the players. It steals the player's intent, sure some might be the mindlessly rush in type, but still shouldn't the player be the one to decide. Then the fact that Gorn is invulnerable, is sort of a cheat, at least to me. As soon as I can get him under control, I make him stay at the door.

Additionally the flooded mine, isn't flooded. Don't get me wrong, even if they could make it flooded, I don't want to be prevented from entering. Maybe this would be a good project for a mod, but wouldn't it be cool, if because of the flooding we could reach some previously unacceptable area?

Thanks for you work Ironkeep Studios, any help making great games better is more than welcome by fans. :)

Whether this is necessary or not I can't say. I don't remember any major problems on my last Gothic play-through, but I suspect that's more because I've trained myself to ignore such things as best I can so as to not detract from immersiveness. That, and my memory is like a steel colander. :)

I think it's great to see that people are still into this game enough to be doing these kinds of things with it. Personally, I'll probably replay Gothic every few years for the rest of my life.

The Gorn in the free mine situation is intentional and very, very relevant (providing you understand what is required) It isn't a bug, though i agree it certainly looks like one to the many G1 players.

The Gorn in the free mine situation is intentional and very, very relevant (providing you understand what is required) It isn't a bug, though i agree it certainly looks like one to the many G1 players.
Yeah I seem to remember being confused about something that happened with Gorn at a point in that quest, though I can't remember it well enough to comment. Maybe I wasn't confused but I just didn't like the situation, logical though it may have been? Dang I just can't remember.

There was also a problem, apparently, with the winch for the mine being bugged sometimes. I didn't encounter that but I read of it. But I assume that's very well known.

Back
Top Bottom