Two Worlds II - Trailer @ RPS

I'm REALLY looking forward to this game. I thought the first wasn't too bad except for the horrendously stilted dialog. It looks like they got the message and corrected course to get things right this time.

Same here, while I was disappointed by the delay till 01/04/2011 for the US, I went ahead and preordered the imported version so I could get it sooner.

True but come on , LotR just sucks as fantasy setting and any of it's replications suck equally .

… during the fight the orc headbangs the guy with the helmet and the guy with the helmet gets dizzy

Given the right power, mass and density, that could happen in the real world too. We don't know the mass/density of orc heads. For all we know, orcs might be as strong and solid as gorillas (or even more so), who are generally several times stronger than the strongest man in the world.

Given the right power, mass and density, that could happen in the real world too. We don't know the mass/density of orc heads. For all we know, orcs might be as strong and solid as gorillas (or even more so), who are generally several times stronger than the strongest man in the world.

True but asphalt is much harder than any orc 's head and a helmet will protect you against it any day.

True but asphalt is much harder than any orc 's head and a helmet will protect you against it any day.

Hardly comparable, as the asphalt is standing still. If something with the mass and density of asphalt decided to headbutt you, it would be similar to a sledge hammer in the face (depending on the power of the headbutt). A helmet wouldn't do much.

Care to elaborate?

Mindless big guys , small guys with big testicles , wise old men with white beards and pointy hats , magic jewellery , primordial evil , light vs darkness , interracial loving , faithful men that don't bang loose (Rohan) girls on sight , eternal friendship etc

All of the above are boring cliché that came from the mixing of old stories Tolkien didn't had a clue about, it is like the Jewish books on Xian god, a collection of old legends put together to present something appealing while missing the whole point of those legends.

Lovecraft steered through the same shit much better and his writings are far more innovative . I don't see why Dune world and Cthulhu mythos fail to inspire developers and LotR does. Maybe it is the phallic objects (swords) or the feeling of control .. you see all those guys are generals, kings and nobles and they are trying to keep the world in their palm ; in Dune the anointed is just a servant of nature and in Cthulhu mythos heroes are only those fast enough to run away from death.
Now that i made a second thought LotR tickles our self centrism and to a degree our megalomania .

benchmarks, seems optimized.

http://twoworldsvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Guides.Detail&id=29

Tragos, i don't agree with a word you're saying. Lovecraft is great and all, but it's hardly the same kind of epic fight of good vs evil that LOTR is about, i think it does that better than any other book + incredible characters and a poetic attention to detail. I really doubt he was trying to replicate those old stories, why would he? He was inspired by them.

I love classic fantasy settings, cliché or not, i dont care.
Lovecraft is (fantasy) horror, kind of a completely different thing, i enjoy it too but for compeltely different reasons than why i love LOTR. I think there's a good reason why the LOTR books are so loved. Tolkien was hardly just some dude trying to earn a quick buck by copying old stories, he devoted his life into the books and into language, anyone who have read his books would know that.

Lovecraft is great and all, but it's hardly the same kind of epic fight of good vs evil that LOTR is about

Dune is poetic fight in the shades of grey , no black vs white , far too complex i guess , Chtulhu is something without clear distinction , it is a shady power beyond human understanding , far too complex too...

/ducks

Tolkien was hardly just some dude trying to earn a quick buck by copying old stories, he devoted his life into the books and into language, anyone who have read his books would know that.

I didn't said that he was any different , what i am saying is that clear cut in your face attributes (pure good vs pure evil) are NOT RPG material

Mindless big guys , small guys with big testicles , wise old men with white beards and pointy hats , magic jewellery , primordial evil , light vs darkness , interracial loving , faithful men that don't bang loose (Rohan) girls on sight , eternal friendship etc.

Yeah... that's all it was. :roll:

Agree with "The Dune" part. It would be a perfect setting for a huge, complex, epic RPG.
Developers are blind to miss it.

yes, too complex for games i think. We often tend to like things we can easily relate to, if something is too "out there" we don't connect to it (we might, but it takes time). RPG's could always improve with being a bit more grey in its nature, but again, it's more complex. Game devs cant even write a decent classical fantasy story (most of the time), i can only guess how horrible it would be with something more complex ;)

Mindless big guys , small guys with big testicles , wise old men with white beards and pointy hats , magic jewellery , primordial evil , light vs darkness , interracial loving , faithful men that don't bang loose (Rohan) girls on sight , eternal friendship etc

You DO know that LOTR was one of the EARLIEST fantasy settings EVAR ?

ALMOST EVERYTHING from there is derived from LOTR … Well, not all, but very, very much.

Other early fantasy settings are Narnia, Prydain, etc …

Everything after that is just considered rather "secondary" - even D&D comes from LOTR.

But of course, there have been other settings as well … By Piers Anthony, for example …

And, besides, if you want to learn about a DIFFERENT fantasy setting for an RPG, then read this here ... ;) http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061031046&postcount=83

I was going to pick on several of you; however, much to my shame, I don't know how to multi-quote. Perhaps it's time that I retire to theoldergamers.com :p

You just hit Quote+ on all the messages you want, then hit Quote... should just work :)

Back
Top Bottom