Original Sin - Post-Funding Update #47

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Larian Studios has released has a new post-funding update for Divinity: Original Sin.

Why do RPGs take so much time to develop? And how do you try to quantify the quality of what you are making? These and other questions are things developers like ourselves often think about, but seldom agree upon. That's because the answer to these questions is very complex, and cannot be summarised easily. In this latest update, we reflect a bit on on the metier of making RPGs. And we do a shoutout! And we want you all to learn Russian! And we found back a cool movie! And you need to tell us what you think of our new font. And there's also another Larian-leak, through which it is revealed that there exists such a place as Silverglen!
First we get a look at scripting with a new video.

The implicit revelation of Silverglen

It happens from time to time, more than often in fact, that the implementation of a quest takes much more time than a designer originally anticipated. Typical reasons are the game engine not supporting everything the designer wants to do or there being much more possibilities that need to be handled than originally assumed.

In this latest update video, Bert, our resident scripting guru, explains how Björn and Mara's problems caused him multiple headaches, and how regular exercise, healthy food and a strict lifestyle helped him through this particularly difficult period in his life.

He also discloses one of our closest guarded secrets - the existence of … Silverglen!
Next they discuss the font that was chosen.

Font check!

It's that time of the year again - we need to make final decisions about our fonts! Thomas has been diligently testing out various fonts on unsuspecting bunnies (see from the archives) and tell us that the following font is good for our eyes. While judging, take into account that it is none other than Jan writing the dialogue - meaning, expect many many many lines. Let us know if it's too big, too small, too ugly, too whatever, for once decided, it's going to stay for a very very long time. (Click here for new Font)
More information.

Last edited:
The game is looking particularly nice (other than that silly shader ;) ) Always nice to see a DOS update :)

P.S: poor Bert :D

I'm really looking forward to this one.
Any information about its save system yet? :D

Edit: Nevermind. Just realized that I've backed this one. Hope I won't be disappointed again considering save system...

Perfect font for me, clearly readable, good sized and fitting for this game.

I like the font, but maybe it could be a bit bigger. Of course, it is hard to tell from a screenshot how it might look on my own computer screen when actually playing it.

Edit: Nevermind. Just realized that I've backed this one. Hope I won't be disappointed again considering save system…

I don't remember Larian ever using anything else than manual save in any of their RPGs. I don't know why DOS would be different.

Yeah, I would be highly surprised if we didn't get a normal save system for Original Sin.

Now where's that Beta? :)

Intimidate: "Prepare yourself... for a death most horrific and fatal!"

Me: "Horrors! Well, perhaps, good sir, if I offer you all that I own you will grant me the boon of a non-fatal death?"

i really loved the original divine divinity, i'm about 2 hours into divinity 2 for the very first time (4 years post launch) and also having fun. i guess i'll get to original sin in another 4 years at this rate.

Yeah, I would be highly surprised if we didn't get a normal save system for Original Sin.
I was highly surprised in both Shadowrun Returns and Demonicon. ;)

Now where's that Beta? :)

Alpha is due out in November :)

Seriously? You think after this many years they'd at least know what font to use. What a waste of resources. :/

The UI not scalable from what I understood, getting the best size/type font for the majority of player seems like the good thing to me. I've already seen people complains that it's too small too...

Seriously? You think after this many years they'd at least know what font to use. What a waste of resources. :/
Font choices are one of the most difficult and important decisions a game can make and needs to be different for each game. It has a huge impact on the look, feel and polish of a game. Font selection is one of the reasons Blizzard games look so polished

Game is looking great... love each and every update!

Font choices are one of the most difficult and important decisions a game can make and needs to be different for each game. It has a huge impact on the look, feel and polish of a game. Font selection is one of the reasons Blizzard games look so polished

I'm sorry but I find that terribly ludicrous. There is absolutely no need for fonts to be different for each game. That makes bitching about graphics seem relevant. And I am NOT much of a fan of Blizzard games, so I guess it's matter of taste.

You cannot ride the mount! Don't you people go thinking that! NO MOUNTING THE MOUNT! You would probably need an easily climbed tree to get onto that thing's back anyway...

I've got to admit the font thing feels a little like a quick way to give the players SOME sort of input to the game. I'm hoping there will be more input when it comes to quests. Maybe voting for quests and how much you liked them once they complete? (Though a completed quest could suddenly seem a lot better if you learn more about what went on in a later quest.)

It looks better suited to be named Pack Mule than Mount. :)

I found the update extremely boring with a splash of spoiler! Though, should you not save them and should he then not become the new blacksmith, is it possible a superior blacksmith would take his place?

Font is important, but it's really pretty simple to get right. Just go with something clear and not wingdings. :p

I believe he said during the campaign (one of the twitch session) that you could save anytime (even during combat).

Edit: Nevermind. Just realized that I've backed this one. Hope I won't be disappointed again considering save system…

Back
Top Bottom