Xenus 2: Back to Hell (mod WIP)

I'll need a few more days for the new version of program, because I have a lot of other works to do.

Project be finished? Where can I download? I have a great desire to play!

No, it was froozen for a long time, because of an AI map problem, but the problem is solved now, so I working on the project again... slowly, as my time let me do it! ;)

Hi myers90, I plan on releasing some updated The Precursors and White Gold patches soon, but one problem with both is that I can only fix errors in the dialogue system, but not bad triggers in the world itself or similar. Do you know an easy way to edit these? Like with Bloodlines I don't need to edit the whole map and recompile it, but there is a tool to just edit entities on the map. Is something like this in the DeepShadows SDK?

Yes, you can use the leveledit from the Precursors beta. Some time ago I wrote an isntruction for it in this topic (first page, a long wrote), but it may contains some of my misunderstandings... but I think I didn't mistaked in the entity editing part :) I will edit this post, and correct the wrong thoughs, and fill with some new.

Ah, I forgot. The problem is that I don't even get the level editor or other tools to work with White Gold! Which files do I need? Just copying over the additional files doesn't work and I don't dare to overwrite existing ones in the White Gold folder out of fear to mess up the game itself. Even for editing the resource file I move it over into The Precursors folder...

I can't tell you exactly which files do you need, because I build my mod from a "clear sdk" what I made, and I don't have an installed Precursors or Xenus 2 on my computer in the moment. But if you want to be safety, then copy the _leveledit2.exe to your Xenus 2 directory, and if you try to run it, it will ask for the missing dlls or other files. You don't have to overwrite any files, but I recommend to always make a backup of resource.qrc!

myers90,are you still working on this mod?
i was looking forward to some new content for xenus 2.

Myers90, would you be willing to look into some Xenus 2 mission issues while you don't work on your mod? It's mostly about bad location pointers or quests triggering again after they have already been finished...

Of course, just write down what is the problem in which mission and exactly where!

Uh, I hope I still remember the problems correctly. This is what comes to my head:

1) On the first island there are two bandits playing chess or cards or something. I think when you talk to them they ask you to kill someone, but the quest pointer is far away in the middle of the ocean!

2) On the second island there is a guy called Sebastian asking for a statuette. As far as I know the coordinates of this are off, it's in the ocean, also the quest triggers again when you go there again!

No, it was froozen for a long time, because of an AI map problem, but the problem is solved now, so I working on the project again… slowly, as my time let me do it! ;)

Hi! How did you fix the problem with AI generation?

I didn't really had to fix it, I've just found the solution: you have to run the engine in developer mode, and it generates the AI map for the current level. :)

Is this still being worked on at all? This would be something amazing to see.

Hi! Yes, sometimes I still working on it, but I can't say that it will ever finished. The current state is:

Game world
All levels are converted to VE3 (world.map also), so you can explore the whole BP world, but only a few has working impostors, and mostly its ugly, because the impostor generator function is broken, and often crashes in LevEdit. And also they are using the old lighting, because the lighting smoothing function also broken and without that it has bad results on level edges if I recalculate lighting.

character models
All character models fixed, so they can use ragdoll when die, and also works with the engine bone control - so NPC's turning to you, and looking at you.

some old vehicles
A few BP vehicles converted to work with VE3's vehicle physics. Cars are not problem, but I still have to figure out how to make planes with wheels, so the wheeled cessna could be used too

game text and game objects
all game text (object names, mission texts, dialogues, etc..) and scenario objects are converted to a new resource.qrc

There are a lot of smaller works left, like recreating the scripts and events for missions (BP has them hard coded, but VE3 uses a new script system), fix the dynamic objects on levels by hand (VE3 doesn't uses some old classes, so this objects ignored on level converting), doors needs to be fixed, etc…

The problem is because of the broken important things (mostly the impostors) I don't really have the motivation. By the way there is always a way, I already solved this kind of things, for example the new .rf2 format, and the physics data in it - I've wrote a 3d editor for, or the .map format, also wrote a new MapPlanner, because the leaked version was broken, and unable to open files.
But from other hand - damn its 10 years since this game has been released... Is there anybody who interested in a mod for this game? :D

Last edited:
im always interested in these amazing games anyway good luck wish i could help you but im just a gamer and even if you never release it thank you for your hard work

Hi!

Good to hear that! Also I have good news, I'm working on a converter for VE2 to VE3 level impostors, its almost done, so another barrier broken. I'll show some new screens soon.

Back
Top Bottom