Xenus 2: Back to Hell (mod WIP)

myers90

Watchdog
The project is still work in progress.

I was able to make an alternative program to edit the .map files, (because the mapplanner from the Prec beta was buggy) so finally I can start work on my dream mod, a Xenus remake for Vital Engine 3.0. :) I hope there are somebody, who are interested in Xenus 2, and mods for it!

More information, pictures/videos will be soon!

Here are the first screenshots:
I need to recalculate the lightings on the levels, so it will be looks better :)
xenus2_bth_pic1_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Full size
xenus2_bth_pic2_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Full size
xenus2_bth_pic3_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Full size

Last edited:
I was able to make an alternative program to edit the .map files

Cool! So does this work for The Precursors too? Because there are some half-finished planets already in there so maybe someone could actually create an ending for it…

Unfortunately its not yet, I get a strange error, but I will fix it in the days!

BTW, Meyers. If you want to recreate Xenus, you surely need to know how to set mission marker coordinates and mission conditions. Can you tell me where to find those so I could fix some that are wrong in White Gold and The Precursors?

You can set them in the world.map file. A mission looks like: mission ID, mission flags, mission stages, and descriptions. Descriptions only for developers, but in mission stages you can set the location of task, the stage's ingame text, and kind of mission (like kill XY, get in a car, go to XY), so you can give markers to object PID (object reference id on levels). I will send you my editor today, or tomorrow (it will works only with Xenus2 yet), and I will release it for the forum later, if it will be full finished.

You can set them in the world.map file.

This doesn't sound as if this can be done easily in a patch.

I will send you my editor today, or tomorrow (it will works only with Xenus2 yet), and I will release it for the forum later, if it will be full finished.

Thanks, but can you just edit map entities like mission markers with it without the need to recompile the whole map? This would be enough for me...

Hey don't worry, you can! I try to explain it.
So the Xenus's big world is made from lot of smaller levels. For example, the whole 3D world is cutted to 1 km2 parts. These parts are can be found in 'Xenus 2/lev' and 'Xenus 2/levobj' directories. A level part is not one file:
1, .lv2 file - its the level geometry
2, .ai3 file - its the AI node network of the level
3, .net file - its the old AI system's file (the game use now the .ai3)
4. wld file - its the geometry collision
5, .lvo file - its the collection objects on the level, like NPCs, vehicles, scripts, etc…
and this .lvo files are in the 'Xenus 2/levobj' path.
There are .nad and.prt files too, but I don't know what is them.

You can open .lv2 files in the Level Editor, its opens of course the other files (.ai3, .lvo etc..) with the same name, if there are. The Level Editor can do everithing with the level parts. If you just want to move an objects, because the developers has been put it to wrong place, you can do it, and you don't need to recompile the level with the geometry and everything, when the save dialog came up, you can give an option to save only the level objects and you can release only the .lvo files in the patch. So this is the level.

The .map file (needs only the world.map, the others are just test worlds) is like a puzzle game. The puzzle pieces are the "cells". A cell have an ID, a name, an image, and a path to an .lv2 file. In the original _mapplanner program its exactly looks like a puzzle. So you can take the level part's to correct place, to make a big world from little parts. The .map file also contains the missions. A mission have a ID, flags, descriptions (only for dev, can not see ingame), and mission stages, with other options, like mission text, kind of mission stage (for exmpl: Kill this NPC or Go to XY, etc) and here is the marker's source. If you have a Kill XY stage, then you have to set, who to kill. You can give the pid of the NPC (pid: The NPC's reference id on the level, putted by the Level Editor). The game will take the marker to this NPC on the ingame radar.

I hope it will be helpful, but If you have any problem with this, I can help you, just tell me what is the bug, and in what mission, and I'll fix it, and send it to you. :)

Last edited:
"I hope there are somebody, who are interested in Xenus 2, and mods for it!"
Awesome work myers90. I am sure many will want to play your mod in different countries around the world. Stay inspired!
I am using the Cryengine1 Sandbox Editor to make a FarCry mod at the moment. I think this is one of the easier game editors to use, but I can imagine how hard it is to make a mod for Xenus with the incomplete tools and instructions. Good luck with it! :)

Thank you, I hope everything will goes fine. :) And good luck to your Far Cry mod!

Hello!
Could you upload your program? I develop my Xenus 2 mod. It called "No-limit's", maybe u have heard about it? And i need to edit the worldmap.map
It will help me a lot.
Your sincerely, Nikolay

Hey Nikolay!
Of course I can! I will send it to you, and to Wesp5 too, a bit later today. Just I need to finish some things on it. And you have to know, its an early version yet, so Its not use the gridview style "map" like the original MapPlanner, just a listbox for SMIDs, but I will implement in the later version that too! :)
P.S: Good luck to your mod, its looks awsome!

Here is a screen from the latest version of my program. I started to work on "puzzle style" gridview like the original mapplanner.

mmp_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Full size

I have a bad news: It seems there will be a little problem with AI network, It seems the levedit2's AI node generate function is not working, so until I can't fix this (if it can be fixed), I will working on other mod for Xenus 2 without making any new level with AI... But my program is not unuseable, because it still useable for mission development. The other project what I'm thinking on is a whole new game with neoaxis engine. This game would be a Xenus like RPG/FPS. I will take contact with Deep Shadows about can I use they models and textures, and if not, I'll have to get 3d modellers and texturers for the project.

badmofo: I can send you the previous version of my program if you don't want to wait for the new version, that use listbox for the world-pieces, I still working on the "puzzle style" version, what you can see on the picture that I posted.

It's a pity... But I think you could do a good mod without adding a new levels. With help of your program it's possible to create interesting missions, add new islands, etc. I hope you will finish it!
By the way, if you want to create a commercial project (game, like Xenus), and use Deepshadows' models and textures, you should take contact with Russobit also. Because the rights of this game was sold to Russobit, as I now.

Yes, I know I should take contact with Russobit-M too, and I will :). And I don't thinking about commercial project, just a non-commercial game, that the first reason, why I see a very very very little chance for they give me a free hand to use some models and textures… the second reason is it seems the Xenus and Precursors projects are dead.

Yeap! This project now is "dead". Because this games aren't popular on russian game market, and it's difficult to find the sponsor, because now are popular just casual and online-games (on russian market offcourse), and to find a "West" sponsors - is unreal.
I guess, they give you the right to use models from Xenus)
P.S. How is you program? Have you any success in making "puzzle" view?

Yes I succeed, you can see a picture upper. I have to make only some fixes, and some functions left to rewrite. I think I can complete it in the few next days!

Back
Top Bottom