Shroud of the Avatar - Release 8 Instructions

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The latest update for Shroud of the Avatar has information on the new version eight release, and gives detailed instructions on how to install & play.

Release 8 Instructions – It’s PvP Time!

Thank you to our loyal backers of Shroud of the Avatar. Release 8 access for all backers at First Responder level and above begins this Thursday, July 24 at 10:30 AM Central Time. Release 8 access will end on Monday, July 28 at 10:00 AM Central Time. Starting today, you can begin installing and patching (see instructions below), but login will not be enabled until Thursday morning.

This has been yet another incredible release to work on. We kicked it off with a bang by completely redirecting the entire release to focus on pulling PVP in earlier than previously planned. We then followed it up with an incredibly positive showing at the Rooster Teeth Expo here in Austin where we signed up over 300 potential backers for Release 8 access. Right after RTX , we managed to pull in Deck Building and Glyph Combat (originally planned for R9) and then we hunkered down and spent every day making combat and PVP better. We do daily dev death matches in the Castle Arena Basement and they are epic! The team has never been more engaged and excited. Even team members who are not traditionally drawn to PVP were pulled in and had fun. After each death match, we meet to discuss the results and decide what we want to fix / add for the next session. The end result is combat that offers a truly refreshing and compelling experience that is completely different than anything we have played. Is it still rough? Of course it is, but it positively seethes with potential and you, our incredible backers, are going to help us reach that potential.
More information.

Hello Ultima Online...

PvP.....after almost 20 yrs of hearing the term, I still don't get it. Might be why I despise games like CoD and such as well, at least the online parts. Single player campaigns, those I can enjoy. Yet some people seem to love the pvp.

Actually most people don't like pvp it is just the people making and publishing the games that think everyone does.

Actually most people don't like pvp it is just the people making and publishing the games that think everyone does.

Since the most popular games on Steam are DOTA and CS, I would say you're totally wrong, alot of people want PvP. I don't however, and my already small interest in this game is almost completely gone after this update.

Well, with the main focus on combat and PvP this game has just dropped off my radar!!

I think that is just the focus of this release, not of the entire game.

News of the day:

Some people like PvP and some people don't. We don't know how many there are of each - as there are many kinds of PvP, and there are many ways of integrating it into a game.

I know it's shocking and a massive undertaking to understand that some people like something you don't - but it's actually true.

Since the most popular games on Steam are DOTA and CS, I would say you're totally wrong, alot of people want PvP. I don't however, and my already small interest in this game is almost completely gone after this update.

Apparently League of Legends has 27 million active players each day! So like you say more people want some sort of PvP.

PvP…..after almost 20 yrs of hearing the term, I still don't get it. Might be why I despise games like CoD and such as well, at least the online parts. Single player campaigns, those I can enjoy. Yet some people seem to love the pvp.

Nah, shooting people makes sense. In a shooter. It's kinda meta-gamey and defeating the point of an RPG though. I mean... gee, even if there were clearly defined "villain" roles for human players and they stuck to that script, it would still not be very exciting to me. Because anything that is controlled by a human player somehow stands out in a virtual world like a sore thumb.

I think people like PvP because of the challenge. Not me personally, but if you're a good tactician, pretty much no matter the difficulty of the AI, you'll eventually master it and be able to beat any computer controlled enemies. But playing another player? That's a whole different thing.

I think people like PvP because of the challenge. Not me personally, but if you're a good tactician, pretty much no matter the difficulty of the AI, you'll eventually master it and be able to beat any computer controlled enemies. But playing another player? That's a whole different thing.

with Diablo II the best PVP builds were figured out pretty quickly and duels often didn't take more than a few seconds.

Diablo 2 is also just about the worst example of PvP out there :)

And it proves it's not the challenge that attracts people to PVP. Also, this being an online Ultima I simply expect a lot of senseless PK'ing. Like back in UO when my weak ass newbie character was killed right out of the first town at a time when I also routinely got killed by rabbits and stags (but at least those didn't steal my stuff). Ah, the memories.

And it proves it's not the challenge that attracts people to PVP. Also, this being an online Ultima I simply expect a lot of senseless PK'ing. Like back in UO when my weak ass newbie character was killed right out of the first town at a time when I also routinely got killed by rabbits and stags (but at least those didn't steal my stuff). Ah, the memories.

Proves?

So, because some people like PvP in Diablo 2 - and you tell yourself there was no challenge involved - ALL people in the entire world who like PvP have no interest in challenge?

I like PvP because of the challenge, the rush, the unpredictability and so on.

For instance, I can't really play strategy games anymore unless they're multiplayer capable - because I find my victory to be inevitable against the AI. So, unless there's some kind of story involved - I just don't play them.

Again, it's key not to box people in and keep an open mind.

Trust me, there are countless gamers in this world who thrive on competition and challenge. Do you think eSports is all about exploits and there's no challenge there, either?

Proves?

So, because some people like PvP in Diablo 2 - and you tell yourself there was no challenge involved - ALL people in the entire world who like PvP have no interest in challenge?

doing something for other reasons than challenge != disliking challenge.

For instance, I can't really play strategy games anymore unless they're multiplayer capable - because I find my victory to be inevitable against the AI. So, unless there's some kind of story involved - I just don't play them.

I understand the appeal of PVP in other genres such as strategy, and I said so. I also think it's a lot more fun to play a shooter against other human players than against bots. As I said, I think the very presence of a non-computer controlled character is immersion breaking in an RPG, so I like to limit those. But I also think there's a difference between classical roleplaying - other people assuming the roles of companions and adventuring together - and the 4th wall breaking duking it out for little to no ingame reasons.

doing something for other reasons than challenge != disliking challenge.

Still doesn't change that your claim was ludicrous. As in, not only did you claim to understand every single Diablo 2 player and that "effective builds" were discovered quickly AND that there was basically no skill involved because you were ganked in UO like everyone else who played it - you also said that this, rather questionable perception, was proof that no one PvPs because of challenge.

I mean, really? ;)

There's nothing resembling even a shred of proof in that fantasy.

I understand the appeal of PVP in other genres such as strategy, and I said so. I also think it's a lot more fun to play a shooter against other human players than against bots. As I said, I think the very presence of a non-computer controlled character is immersion breaking in an RPG, so I like to limit those. But I also think there's a difference between classical roleplaying - other people assuming the roles of companions and adventuring together - and the 4th wall breaking duking it out for little to no ingame reasons.

I would agree there are good and bad things with almost any kind of PvP. But you have to appreciate there are many ways of doing it, and that people aren't all the same when it comes to the reason they enjoy it.

Many MMOs have rules in place for in-game PvP that makes sense. It's just that you might have had a bad experience with it, so you think it's all bad.

I'm afraid that's not the case at all.

Ganking is common, but once you accept that it's part of some MMOs - it can be great fun to PvP, especially if you go against the gankers and murderers. That's what I usually do, and it feels very good to fight the griefers.

The 4th wall is no more broken by fighting people who roleplay murderers and bandits than it is by having magical items rain down from the sky every time you slay some mob with a colored name that has a tiny subset of actions within a rigid and predictable script.

Still doesn't change that your claim was ludicrous. As in, not only did you claim to understand every single Diablo 2 player and that "effective builds" were discovered quickly AND that there was basically no skill involved because you were ganked in UO like everyone else who played it - you also said that this, rather questionable perception, was proof that no one PvPs because of challenge.

I mean, really? ;)

There's nothing resembling even a shred of proof in that fantasy.

I was responding to the claim that people generally PVP because they like a challenge, so the hyperbole was appropriate, I think. :)

Many MMOs have rules in place for in-game PvP that makes sense. It's just that you might have had a bad experience with it, so you think it's all bad.

I'm afraid that's not the case at all.

Ganking is common, but once you accept that it's part of some MMOs - it can be great fun to PvP, especially if you go against the gankers and murderers. That's what I usually do, and it feels very good to fight the griefers.

The 4th wall is no more broken by fighting people who roleplay murderers and bandits than it is by having magical items rain down from the sky every time you slay some mob with a colored name that has a tiny subset of actions within a rigid and predictable script.

I'm not gonna bring up the example of ridiculous character names. I might sound a bit aspy here, but even a name with alternating CaPs can break my immersion. It's that split second where you go "eh, that doesn't belong here" that... not ruins, but diminishes my suspension of disbelief. And it's harder for me to reconcile that strange landmark of another human player with the virtual environment we both share if, instead of cooperative questing (which I would do just the same on my own) the other guy just hangs around waiting for me to enter a PVP zone.
PVP just isn't central to the core gameplay of most RPG's - if you argue for PVPing, you could just as well argue for the inclusion of a strategy type mini game, say some sort of board game. It's a gimmick, and one I don't like. Deal w/ it ;)

I was responding to the claim that people generally PVP because they like a challenge, so the hyperbole was appropriate, I think. :)

Makes very little sense to me, but whatever floats your boats :)

I'm not gonna bring up the example of ridiculous character names. I might sound a bit aspy here, but even a name with alternating CaPs can break my immersion. It's that split second where you go "eh, that doesn't belong here" that… not ruins, but diminishes my suspension of disbelief. And it's harder for me to reconcile that strange landmark of another human player with the virtual environment we both share if, instead of cooperative questing (which I would do just the same on my own) the other guy just hangs around waiting for me to enter a PVP zone.
PVP just isn't central to the core gameplay of most RPG's - if you argue for PVPing, you could just as well argue for the inclusion of a strategy type mini game, say some sort of board game. It's a gimmick, and one I don't like. Deal w/ it ;)

Oh, I'm ok with you not liking PvP and for whatever elusive reason finding it immersion breaking. To me, few things are more central than sharing the RPG experience with other people - and I don't need them to be friendly with me. It's all part of the fun of that imaginary passtime.

I used to have loads of fun coming up with ways to work against my fellow PnP players back in the day, and interacting with other people is the most fun I've ever had in a computer game, both in a cooperative and competitive fashion.

So, to me, if PvP is done right - as it is in a few MMOs, it can be among the most immersive qualities out there. I love it.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the "sports" PvP implementation that many modern MMOs use, like WoW arena and battlegrounds. It can be fun, but I find it counterproductive to the immersion. It's artificial and stupid, frankly.

But games like Eve Online and Darkfall have great PvP that fits perfectly into the design, and those games can be highly immersive in that way. Unfortunately, they take up too much time for me to be able to play them as I'd like - so I just don't.

I used to have loads of fun coming up with ways to work against my fellow PnP players back in the day, and interacting with other people is the most fun I've ever had in a computer game, both in a cooperative and competitive fashion.

Oh, that can be cool alright, though hard to implement in game with real time combat. I agree it can be cool to roleplay a not super sweet, self-serving character, which could include the option to get rid of your "fellows", but it would also be tedious to always watch your back. It's also hard to bring that character concept across in a vidya game - apart from stealing loot and outright killing other players.

Back
Top Bottom