Bethesda Softworks - Elder Scrolls 5: "No Current Plans"

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Speaking at QuakeCon, Todd Howard has answered a question about Bethsoft's future by saying they have "no current plans" for an Elder Scrolls 5. Obviously they won't miss exploiting this most successful franchise, so the question is exactly what this comment really means. From The Big Download:
Howard took a few questions from the audience but didn't give out much info on their future projects, saying only, "We are working on our next big game but we are not talking about it." Don't look a new Elder Scrolls game in the near future; Howard said there are no current plans for an "Elder Scrolls 5." As far as an Elders Scrolls based MMO, he said in jest, "There's always a chance." He gave no new info on the third party developed Fallout: New Vegas, due out next year. He did confirm that they are through with creating any more Fallout 3 DLC content.
More information.

." As far as an Elders Scrolls based MMO, he said in jest, "There's always a chance."

I know this is just said as a joke but still not funny. Is this really where the AAA games are headed? All MMO, all the time. Rumors about Diablo 3 being a paid service. Warhammer going the MMO route and now maybe Elder Scrolls. I played WAR. It was boring as hell. I really don't understand the appeal. As much as I complain about Beth I still wouldn't want their "next big project" to be some stupid MMO, just like the thousands of other MMOs out there. I don't mind multiplayer so much, but these MMOs are seriously boring.

One thing Beth does well is making blueprints of games and great modding tools for the fans to custom build their own game. Oblivion wasn't as good as Morrowind and Morrowind isn't what I'd call the best RPG to be released, but with some mods both of them weren't half bad. Just ignore the plots of course. They'll never know how to do that right.

Edit:
You know what I've changed my mind. I hope they do get out of the SP RPG market. That'll make more room for new companies like DoubleBear. God I hope they can tap into this niche market.

Last edited:
Wow, "no current plans." Does that mean Elder Scrolls 5 is at least 3-4 years from being released? The only thing I could think they could do in the meantime (other than MMO) is make a new IP.

Every publishing house see the success of WoW; they think 'aha, a sure way to make money'. and secure a steadt income for the publishing house and the devs.

I think this is flaw in their thinking; they need to think not like 'we must have such a thing, too' but more, 'het, let's make something truly unique and original'.

A new game could be Fallout 4? maybe....

Good, maybe I will have actually finished Morrowind and Oblivion before they release ES5.

In all seriousness though, I just hope they learned from their mistakes.

No, current plans for dinner.

I know this is just said as a joke but still not funny. Is this really where the AAA games are headed?
It's pretty hard to pirate an MMO.

In all seriousness though, I just hope they learned from their mistakes.

Mistakes? They get so many cash thanks to Oblivion and Oblivion With Guns that I doubt their next games will be better.

63713938.qaEEdjG9.popcorn.gif

They have already said that if there was going to be an elder scrolls mmo that Zenimax would create a new studio for it or have a third party do it. (I don't think that is exactly what they said but it is close enough)

I just hope the game is an rpg with modding tools and not some other genre since there are not enough companies making rpgs as it is. (especially with good modding tools)

If they are smart they will watch the Star Wars TOR MMO and make choices based on that ... I might not like MMO's, but online gaming is clearly extremely popular.

They have already said that if there was going to be an elder scrolls mmo that Zenimax would create a new studio for it or have a third party do it. (I don't think that is exactly what they said but it is close enough)

They already have created ZeniMax Online Studios, actually, which is working on an unannounced MMOPRG that is likely TESOL. So Bethesda's current project is separate from any ZeniMax MMORPGs.

As Ausir said, ZOS is working on (probably) TESOL, so it isn't that. I can't see it being Fallout 4, because OBS is on Fallout: New Vegas and more Fallout seems too much.

Perhaps they see TES5 as competition for a TESOL? That might mean a new IP...or this could all just be shifty marketing speak.

You could have 'no current plans' if your plans have already been created - ie tes 5 is basically done - with a further year for finishing and balancing.

I can't see how Zenimax online could be close to releasing a TES MMO.

We know Ted Peterson and Micheal Kirkbridge have been working on something to do with TES - done at least a year ago - could be TES5 or MMO I guess.

You could have 'no current plans' if your plans have already been created - ie tes 5 is basically done - with a further year for finishing and balancing.

Pretty unlikely, given that they just finished Fallout 3 last year.

I can't see how Zenimax online could be close to releasing a TES MMO.

Definitely closer than Bethesda would be to releasing TES 5.

Maybe so that they don't conflict with current projects based on their IP they will go with something different like a modern day rpg (like everyone else is doing) or a non-post-apoc sci-fi rpg. I would rather have something more unique though but that is not likely.

I´m not in general against MMO´s, even if i never played MMO´s for more than a few hours and only for press reasons (previews).
In my opinion the problems with all MMO´s on the market are the limited tools for developers and little ressources an hardware site. A compelling RPG (single) has an interesting story with a main plot and many side-plots with hundreds of varied quests, some of them even building up on each other. Most important, the ongoing story should depend on the decisions, the player makes on his way. So (s)he has the illusion really to be part of the story. This effect can be realized by the developers, because there is only "one" main character to build around a compelling story.

Theoretically this also could be realized in an MMO, but the "costs" for this task would be immense - perhaps fictional with this generation of tools, server-performance, internet-bandwidh and available (payable) manpower.
But experts are working on new, much better and quicker web-protocols with multiple performance compared to now. Server-Performance also is growing, the idea of "cloud computing" opens whole new worlds, not even for "serious" software developers, but also for game programmers. And with new developer tools in the future it is possible, that creating scripts, AI and all the other parts of an RPG could much quicker and with less manpower be done. If this will really happen in the near future, MMO could reach a level of quality, some single RPG have already.

Bethesda for sure works on an online version of it´s most valuable IP - no developer can risk to ignore a market, that is already so succesfull in generating money over a long period of time and is growing rapidly.
The 1 Mio. $ question is, if Bethesda will be able to transfere the key-elements of success from it´s single RPG to an online version? Dealing with the existing technical limits, i listed above. Or are they already working on next generation tools and infrastructure? This would be the first real competition for Blizzard and it´s IP.

I can't help but feel some Schadenfreude.

Change is good. It's silly to always want all TES games to be the same, as they have been since Arena. Maybe the previous TES games weren't MMORPGs only because of technical limitations? These guys are sure living in the past.

I would not play an Elder scrolls MMORPG, but I have to say that of all the single player series out there, Elder Scrolls is perhaps the one best suited for such an endeavor. Being able to solve quests indepentent from the main quest, respawning treasure and creatures, different guilds, each with a series of minor quests and each with a career ladder. all these mechanics are very close to MMORPG's already.

Back
Top Bottom