After Reset - Kickstarter Now Live

With paypal you would pledge instantly which isn't very helpful in a project which is far away from reaching it's goal.

Personally I am a big fan of everything post apocalyptic. And while it should be natural for me to pledge for that project, I didn't. Because I do do neither like the presentation or the attitude. It feels like the project creators think that while their game is the "real deal" everything else is just crap. And thats probably also the reason for not starting small but for going for a size of Fallout 1+ Fallout 2 or "more sophisticated than wasteland 2" instead and requesting 900k from the beginning. Get down off your high horse and start out small. Then we will see.
PR agency said the same. They offered me to cheat “just put it 100k then you will be able to postpone release and make any cheap crap they you want – just do like almost everyone on KS”. I rejected. Just want to be honest. This is more sophisticated game than even Wasteland 2, and we have more advanced graphics as well. So for everyone in business it is clear that it is really low price for such kind of games. Thus I feel like to put the rest necessary money by myself. But the bakers like you can really speed up the process.

I'm embarrassed by some of the comments in this thread.

Regardless if you think the project will be successful, I see no reason to disparage it.

The whole story-line, the imagery, and the game-world seem like its meant to have a very anti-American political message :p A bit propagandist even. That being said, it does look somewhat interesting. On another note, why does just about every post-apocalyptic game have to be set in the American South-West?

So basically we have some unknown developer asking for 900k. I won't argue you probably need that kind of money to build a project like that but unfortunately I don't think this is how KS *works*. As an unknown developer you really need to lower your ambitions to a project you can pull off for very little money.
I agree that if you think a project sounds interesting you basically have nothing to loose by pledging (on KS that is) but it appears that many potential backers are hesitant to do so if the project seems like a lost cause. So if you ask 900k. and don't get 100k or a figure in that ball park within the first 24 hours your project will instantly loose appeal to many potential backers. It is a vicious circle and few projects survive this.

After a nuclear holocaust the whole world will look like South-West America :)

The whole story-line, the imagery, and the game-world seem like its meant to have a very anti-American political message :p A bit propagandist even. That being said, it does look somewhat interesting. On another note, why does just about every post-apocalyptic game have to be set in the American South-West?

I think it's too much to ask for when there is no history or track record behind the company. And it raises a red flag to me. There have been some kickstarters where after it was successful, it turned out it was nothing but a scam, and the project was never made as the project creator ran off with the money. This game could be perfectly legit, but 900k seems very tempting to me for this possibility to happen. It just seems to me like an awful lot of faith to put into an unknown game developer. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
And what's the deal with this normal/director's cut?

From what I understand, the normal version is kind of a "censored" version, with less violence and foul language? Now, I don't mind if a "director's cut" contains additional content and you make people pay for that, but not for a censor switch... Kind of rubs the wrong way, I dislike censorship.

I'm embarrassed by some of the comments in this thread.

Regardless if you think the project will be successful, I see no reason to disparage it.

Hell has frozen over, I agree.

i like everything about this, except from what other people have conjectured that 900k is simply unrealistic. also i would definitely have not launched with a video of clicking a single guy around a desert. love the ambient sound though.

First of all, I cranked the sound up and the hawk screeching scared the hell out of me. 2nd, it looks good, but wish I would have seen some kind of interaction with... well anything.

I think there's a lot of promise, but will concur with the majority-- $900k is a lot to ask for a complete unknown. (shrugs) That's just the way it is. I would even consider funding it if not for the rather high minimum and the fact that it's been a crazy couple of weeks for KS projects I've liked/backed. I wish you good luck, either way!

Yeah, this has no chance, but I'm sure Mr Nixon knew this going in. I think he just wants to gauge interest.

It's not ambitious - it's ridiculous. If you truly want the game to be made, make it smaller and do it on the cheap and you have a chance of being funded. Asking for $900k, you're pretty much just admitting it's never going to happen up front. Either you're completely deluded or you have no idea how to do the math correctly to determine funding needs.

Sorry.

"with more places to explore than Fallout 1 and 2 together had;"

Here they dug a large grave and jumped in. Check out the latest Project Eternity update, how long it takes to design even a small area.

That means After Reset will have a diluted design, not much flow-testing, not much debugging and delusional, unrealistic planning.

I have to ask this. When people ask for money on KS for a game project, what do they use it for? Food, rent, car payments, PCs to develop the game on, wages for staff, cushy offices, hot secretary?

Spell it out, where does the money go?

I have to ask this. When people ask for money on KS for a game project, what do they use it for? Food, rent, car payments, PCs to develop the game on, wages for staff, cushy offices, hot secretary?

the answer is all the above. if you pledge to a kickstarter, it could be money towards churning baby seals and cows into a grinder for all you know.

I'd go for the hot secretary. Team morale and that :p

I'm going to quote Chris Avallone here.
One thing Avellone advised developers against, at all costs, was trying to crowdfund a game with a smaller backing goal than was actually needed, for fear of scaring off would-be backers. It's important to be upfront with backers about what it costs to make the games and fulfill rewards at every step, Avellone said. He's seen too many projects that were cancelled at the 11th hour because they were on the verge of receiving backing, but would not have met whatever funding amount the developer had actually set as the minimum funding threshold for the promised project.
Read this and maybe a few backers will understand. As of right now any first time developer asking for $50,000 gets the usual comments.

I understand that the game he wants to make may actually cost $900,000. However, I don't see that he has shown the skillset or anything else that makes me willing to give real money to the project. If he can SHOW me something outside of hideous shaky cam footage of youtube videos, then I might have a glimmer of interest.

I would have suggested making a much smaller scope game and if it was successful, launching a more robust game as a second project.

Back
Top Bottom