BioWare - Greg Zeschuk Interview @ VG247

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Greg Zeschuk spoke with VG247 at Gamescom about BioWare's promotion from a studio to a full label within EA and their approach and work in general. I have to take this sensationalist quote because it's so obvious - but it can be viewed from different angles; on how RPGs are "less relevant":
Do you see Bioware as ‘the’ RPG studio for EA now, or do you see yourselves as being broader than that?
I think broader. I mean – it’s funny – RPGs are and always have been our bread and butter, our heart is there, but at the same time I think – well, we had the RPG panel breakfast at GDC yesterday – and what was interesting about that was that we had the conversation about ‘what is an RPG’ and it’s a blend. The genres are blending right now, you’re getting lots and lots of progression and RPG elements in shooters – online persistence and so on.
It’s funny because the RPG in the context of the current world is – well, it’s not specifically irrelevant, but it’s becoming less relevant in and of itself. It’s more a function of ‘hey, this game has a great story’. For us having that emotion but also having other great features like combat and persistence of character progression and stuff.
It’s kind of what we are, but more importantly we’re just about great games.
More information.

Just the words of a person at a company that is trying to justify its selling out.

Bioware says RPGs are becoming less relevant, but I can think of a large company which used to make good RPGs that is becoming less relevant...

Ah, how the mighty do fall.

Did they really need to ask that question? There's no point when the answer is obvious.

RPGs have been becoming less relevent since 1984 funny how they still make them and they still seem to sell.
What has happen is they are not less relevent, there is just alot more crap out there hmmmmmm didn't BioWare make DA2 ...less relevent or just a piece of crap

Forum General RPG
RPGs are becoming "less relevant" according to Bioware

Quote of myself :)
It is inappropriate to talk the world into even more "rpg crises". A lot of people like the original rpg-format, buy a lot games (many rpg-fans are collectors) and are true fans of the genre.

If Bioware doesn't want to make rpgs - I already skipped DA 2 - others will fill the void.

Back
Top Bottom