Does G2 play in Vista?

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch
I still have XP, but a friend of mine is struggling to get his G2 going in Vista, due to the DRM problems that Vista brings. He asked me if I knew if the game itself would actually play in Vista, before he goes to all the trouble of trying to get the DRM problem solved.

So I was wondering if anyone here had played G2 in Vista at all?

I didn't but as far as I know it works on Vista. Though I had problems running it on Win7 64-bit. If your friend has 32-bit system then everything should work for him - if 64-bit then I don't know.

It wouldn't play on my XP 64 OS, so I'd be worried about Vista, especially if it's a 64 bit version!!

I think it's more the 64 bit that's the problem, rather than the OS!!

Most likely. I've played G2 on Vista 32. It had a few issues, but the community over at WoG has figured out various fixes that will solve those issues.

Apparently, his version of Vista won't even "see" the G2 disc in the drive! :eek:

I think he has the 64-bit version, sadly...

Let's hope Windows 7 will have less issues with older games, since they're including Virtual PC. :(

Let's hope Windows 7 will have less issues with older games, since they're including Virtual PC.
Except Virtual XP mode is only in most expensive version of Win7 and needs pretty much RAM. "Normal" Win7 probably won't be better than Vista with running old games.

Except Virtual XP mode is only in most expensive version of Win7 and needs pretty much RAM. "Normal" Win7 probably won't be better than Vista with running old games.
XP mode will be included in Windows 7 Professional which isn't the most expensive version.

But that's besides the point because I don't think it will support hardware acceleration.

But that's besides the point because I don't think it will support hardware acceleration.
Exactly, there's only a slow 2D card simulated in Win7's XP mode from what I've read. It's meant mostly for companies so they can still run old applications, not for gamers like us ...

I was planning on switching to Windows 7 64bit too, including an upgrade to 4GB RAM (still using Vista 32 with 2GB), so hearing of this incompatibility is not good news.

Does anyone know if the Good Old Games Gothic versions work on 64-bit OS?

Does anyone know if the Good Old Games Gothic versions work on 64-bit OS?
I got NotR from GOG and it works on my Vista 64 bit system. Only one small issue: a couple of the intro movies don't show video (get sound only). I understand that there are workarounds to this minor problem, which you can find in the GOG forum.

I got NotR from GOG and it works on my Vista 64 bit system. Only one small issue: a couple of the intro movies don't show video (get sound only). I understand that there are workarounds to this minor problem, which you can find in the GOG forum.

Thanks for that ... my Win7 pre-order is 64-bit ...

Isn't GOG just the best organisation ever? :cool: I'm definitely going to start doing my best to actively support them! Thanks for that bit of info! :D

Yes GOG is great. There are more than a few games I wish they would support, though...

With respect to Vista. I've had my share of problems with the OS. Wish I'd stayed with XP. But I understand that Win 7 is going to address Vista's many deficiencies...

Hey DW, thanks for your input and welcome to the forums!!

Hey DW, thanks for your input and welcome to the forums!!
Thanks, Corwin, for the warm welcome! I've been a long-time fan and lurker from the rpgdot days. I really appreciate what you and your colleagues have built here.

Yeah, the atmosphere here is so much pleasanter than certain other RPG forums that I'd rather not mention... :p

Back
Top Bottom