Pillars of Eternity - Preview @ GameWatcher

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GameWatcher published a new preview this month for Pillars of Eternity. They also posted a new interview I shared a few days back in-case you missed reading it.

Snazzy graphics and spell effects, and enjoyable combat are both nice things to have in an RPG, there’s no doubt, but in some ways they’re the easiest things to get right. What a lot of games miss out on is that sense that the player has options, that if they’re clever there’s always another way to solve a problem. Admittedly this is a segment of Obsidian’s game they’ve specifically chosen to show a more peaceful approach of, and there’s no telling how much of the game assumes you’ll just march in and start magic-missiling every poor sod in the room, but Pillars looks like it’s also taking welcome inspiration from the frantic, making-it-up-as-we-go-along spirit of tabletop role-playing. This can only be a good thing.
More information.

I'm starting to appreciate the camping supplies approach. It nicely eliminates the issue of rest spamming, bringing the game closer to the tabletop version.

I was excited to hear about this game and anticipated it more than any of the kickstarter revolution titles, but at this point, I'll be waiting longer for it to be on sale.

I just can't see paying $45 for what's basically an indie game that was 100% funded by the community.

I find this idea of getting your game funded by the community then charging corporate prices for indie games to be repulsive and a slap in the face of the community that funds your games to begin with.

Grats ahead of time to the Pillars devs for winning the lottery too since as with Divinity, WL2, SRR they'll make millions in profits on the games they had funded by players.

I'm starting to appreciate the camping supplies approach. It nicely eliminates the issue of rest spamming, bringing the game closer to the tabletop version.
Yea, this is one of the best features compared to IE games.
Storm of Zehir had similar limitation and I loved it there.

I find this idea of getting your game funded by the community then charging corporate prices for indie games to be repulsive and a slap in the face of the community that funds your games to begin with.
I don't have a problem with that, myself. The community that funded it will be getting a copy of the game in return, I assume.

They may have been well-funded, but I see no problem with them selling the finished product to the wider market. I'm happy for them to profit from their work - if it is good enough, and people agree that it is worth the price charged.

I just can't see paying $45 for what's basically an indie game that was 100% funded by the community.

Grats ahead of time to the Pillars devs for winning the lottery too since as with Divinity, WL2, SRR they'll make millions in profits on the games they had funded by players.
I am part of the community that helped fund this game and I would have felt it like a slap in the face if they DIDN'T charge the non-backers a normal price for the game.

I want the developers to make a (large) profit so that they can financially free themselves from publishers and become financially self sufficient, which would (ideally) allow them to have full artistic freedom in future game developments.

Well I helped fund the game so I could play it; it wasn't so they would hold a free give-away afterward. If you don't like the price, suck it up and wait for a sale.

As the other guys have said, this is unreasonable arguing.
The game has been funded by someone. Instead of being having been funded by a publisher it has now been funded by the crowd.
So why should anybody that hadn't participated in the funding benefit from a low price?
As a backer I would indeed as well be very disappointed if the game was sold for a low price.

I am not sure what the price of the game has to do with how they go the money to make it. If it is best game ever made and they were charging 99.00 for it would you not pay that? They have set a fair market price for the game to be sold at. If sales are not there after its release then most likely the price will drop quickly. If the sales are strong because it is a good game the price will remain higher. Why would anyone set a lower price just because it of how it was funded?
Anyways..

Last edited:
I was excited to hear about this game and anticipated it more than any of the kickstarter revolution titles, but at this point, I'll be waiting longer for it to be on sale.

It's posts like these that make me shake my head. Really? What logic is in this post?

Wanna know something? I'm not paying 45 dollars for the game because I backed it!

Want to play it? 45..

When people back it they get a copy of the game, so it is a lost sale to them. I'm glad they will sell it for a normal, if a bit lower then AAA price.

Back
Top Bottom