Dragon Age: Inquisition - Bioware Aware of Community Concerns

I think some of it may just be auto-attack, which DAO and DA2 has but DAI does not. I think that is what is making it stand out as so clunky to me. I have trouble keeping up with the mobs and I want to click on a mob and have my guy run over and attack and stay on the mob doing the basic stuff so I have a chance to move my mouse around and click on abilities and do something.

Why don't you hold R for continuous attacks?

I wasn't aware that EA did early access lol.
Seriously I had an abysmal amount of crashes and freezes the first hour
Secondly, although probably no one here cares, multiplayer has some nasty bugs. I got stuck in a errorttimeout loop that other people are reporting on the Browser forums.
Third, every time I changed something in the graphic options, the game froze.

He shouldn't have to. I think that's kind of the point. They should have included auto-attack as a feature instead of making you hold down a key to continuously attack a target.

Pretty much this.

But you know to be fair ... in all honesty I am getting use to it. For the record I just personally prefer auto-attack and click to move to do something. However some of my dislike is just that it has been a few years since I have played a game where this wasn't the norm. So now I find myself having to re-learn this style of play.

Tonight, while playing, I found myself already adapting to it. I am not going to let something like this get in the way of enjoying an otherwise good game that I like. Sure it has its issues but it also has many good points and the bottom line it is fun - for me at least.

For which I am thankful as I have been playing Skyrim for three years (minus playing ME1-3 over two months on break and some time playing DDOS) and nice to have something new that I enjoy.

Stoppp beeeing meean tooo eeeeaaa! :'(

There's no way they could have known about these keyboard thingies and GUI hi hoes. It's probably not even reproducible, soooo stoppppppppp! :'(

I'm in the Keybord+Mouse controls stink camp too… especially the need to position my character directly next to a chest and then right-click to open… feels very clunky to me for some reason, though I'm sure I've encountered something similar in the past.

Anyway, I switched to using an Xbox controller and once I did, frankly the game got quite a bit more enjoyable after that. It's designed for controllers. I think that much us evident (although, you can't quick save when using a controller…. !!… how does something like that slip past QA…).

But overall, and with many of the warts mentioned above (like some MMO-style side quests) I'm liking it a lot. It's a big, meaty adventure that looks and sounds great on my big-screen TV. The character interactions are typical Bioware, perhaps even a step up from some of their latest efforts, especially with the NPC banter. The maps are fun to explore and there are "some" good side-quests to find to be sure. And the main story is "serviceable."

I'd give it an 8.5, which I think is where most people would end up, once they were able to solve (or persevere through) the technical issues. If you can play with an Xbox controller, do yourself a favor and get one. You'll be glad you did.

I'm going back to play it right now, in fact, and will be playing the heck out of it all weekend.

Loaded up for the first time - mouse pointer was highlighting things 2 inches away from where it was pointing. Restarted.

Loaded up again, selected game options - black screen with mouse cursor. CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Third time lucky, no problems and into the game. Everything looks fine, but while in-game performance is perfectly smooth, the cut scenes stutter.

Still looking forward to playing it, but awaiting patches as per my usual routine. Have to agree that someone in PC QA needs a brisk kick up the fundament.

I'm in the Keybord+Mouse controls stink camp too

Anyway, I switched to using an Xbox controller and once I did, frankly the game got quite a bit more enjoyable after that. It's designed for controllers.

If you can play with an Xbox controller, do yourself a favor and get one. You'll be glad you did.

Every time I hear statements like this about a PC game its like a dagger to the heart.:(

I don't know if it's just luck, but I'm really not finding much difficulty using m&k controls, especially after tweaking some of the keybinds. My biggest complaint is that I need to use both hands to move my character around (keyboard to move character and mouse to move camera). It would also be nice if they included an option to area-loot or select to loot from a distance, but honestly, this wasn't something that started bugging me until after I heard people complain about it.

As for respawns, MINOR SPOILER:
I did get frustrated with this in the Hinterlands, when I practically had mage and templar fights spawning on top of me - while I was still in the process of trying to loot the mages and templars I had just killed. However, once I discovered that you can eliminate them from the area by knocking out their respective strongholds, I went on a bit of a crusade and haven't been bothered since. Did the same thing for the wolves, now it's just the occasional outlaw or sellsword I have to deal with, and I'm finding exploration through the Hinterlands to be much more easy going.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game quite well, though I'm still quite early in the story. I'm finding myself liking some of the characters a lot more than I thought I would. Also, I have played a LOT of MMOs, so I'm not as bothered by the gather and fetch quests as I can understand some would be.

Loaded up for the first time - mouse pointer was highlighting things 2 inches away from where it was pointing. Restarted.

Loaded up again, selected game options - black screen with mouse cursor. CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Third time lucky, no problems and into the game. Everything looks fine, but while in-game performance is perfectly smooth, the cut scenes stutter.

Still looking forward to playing it, but awaiting patches as per my usual routine. Have to agree that someone in PC QA needs a brisk kick up the fundament.

You can add this line to your start up (shortcut in the target box):
-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60.0

It will force the game to work on 60fps rather than the built in 30fps, it works wonders for my experience. You can juggle both numbers around, just make sure they are the same all the time (i.e. 40 / 40.0, etc).

I enjoy the game so far and I am not terribly bothered by the controls with KB+M, maybe that is because I play WoW next to it :)

Thanks basharran, I'll give that a try. It does sound like the sort of thing that could account for cutscene juddering.

Also, I haven't had any more menu misbehaviour since I updated to the brand new Nvidia driver.

Every time I hear statements like this about a PC game its like a dagger to the heart.:(

Why? Many fast action games simply play better on controllers. Being a PC gamer doesn't mean a slavish devotion to KB/M IMO. KB/M and controllers are simply tools. A good builder knows when each tool is appropriate. Continuing this thought, certain games like Devil may Cry are absolutely meant for controllers, but on PC I still get the awesome benefit of 1080p+ and 60FPS+.

Anyway, I'm playing through DA2 right now and I'm forced to use KB/M on PC (zero controller support) despite the game clearly being designed for controllers. I would contend that DA2 is actually better to play on consoles…although you have to suffer the horrible graphics and long load times. Hence, I'm playing DA2 on PC despite KB/M being less immersive.

So…I just think it is wise to respect options: KB/M for first-person/strategy, controllers for fast action/platformers.

All this being said, I'd have preferred DAI let me play in first-person, since it is the most immersive. (See GTAV for example, which is insanely amazing in first-person.)

So…I just think it is wise to respect options: KB/M for first-person/strategy, controllers for fast action/platformers.

Except this isn't options. This is telling me one set of games should be played with a controller and another set with K&M.

I want games to be optimized for k&M also which would give me actually options.

Also, please don't give me any BS about fast action game better with a controller. Your talking to someone who has beat dark souls 1 and 2 with K&M and am way better with a K&M than I am with a controller.

I'm not a slave to K&M, I prefer it. and on PC I should get quality M&K support period.

I get alot or even most people nowadays may be better with a controller but I'm not. I've been playing PC games for 20 plus years with m&K and rarely ever play with a controller and as a result I'm vastly superior with M&K vs controller.

I'm not saying don't add controller support. I'm just saying don't compromise K&M support in the process. I really don't think that's unreasonable.

Except this isn't options. This is telling me one set of games should be played with a controller and another set with K&M.

Consoles force you to play everything on the controller. PCs let you use what is best. That is what was meant by options. Controllers are really great for many games. Do not fear the controller. I'd bet you'd prefer it for Dark Souls if you got good with it.

It is fairly clear DAI was designed for a controller, and I don't mind that. BioWare chose to make the game more of an action game. And fair enough. EDIT: although obviously they should fix the terrible KB/M controls I'm hearing about.

PS: I *am* telling you certain games should be played with one device or the other. For instance, competitive FPS games should never, EVER, EVER be played with a controller. Ever. Period.

Consoles force you to play everything on the controller. PCs let you use what is best. That is what was meant by options. Controllers are really great for many games. Do not fear the controller. I'd bet you'd prefer it for Dark Souls if you got good with it.

It is fairly clear DAI was designed for a controller, and I don't mind that. BioWare chose to make the game more of an action game. And fair enough. EDIT: although obviously they should fix the terrible KB/M controls I'm hearing about.

PS: I *am* telling you certain games should be played with one device or the other. For instance, competitive FPS games should never, EVER, EVER be played with a controller. Ever. Period.

I can only assume your trying to troll me. Telling me what I would prefer as if you'd know.

There's nothing a controller can do that would be an advantage over a keyboard mouse setup.

I have no interest in debating which is better as there's no right answer. It's a personal preference that's different for each individual.

I don't fear controllers I enjoy using K&M. I get it, you don't perfer K&M so you can't see how someone else would but it happens. People are different.

There's nothing a controller can do that would be an advantage over a keyboard mouse setup

True, there's nothing a controller can "do" that would be an advantage over K&M, but that doesn't mean there aren't games that work better with one or the other. I think that's all Brumbek was trying to say.

While I am enjoying the game, I agree to all the issues the OP wrote about. My personal priorities are:

- in some places ridiculously high respawn (grindy feeling)

- weird search mechanic

- inferior PC controls

- lack of Healing class/spells (the potion spam idea is SO hilariously bad, sorry)

Despite the size, the game never feels like a "world" like Skyrim did. Somehow it feels too much like a Themepark of points to do. It goes in a good direction, by and large. But some stuff are just awkward and weird decisions.

As someone who has been weaned on K+M controls and played all previous Bioware games using K+M, it is a bit strange that the controls seem so wonky at times. However, I'm not against using a controller when the game seems to function well with it. For example, I played Witcher 2 with an Xbox controller and found aspects of the combat much easier to me. But I played Witcher 1 with K+M... so, really just depends on the game I think.

But as others have said, options are best. The game should play well with either control scheme. If they are trying to copy Elder Scrolls, the last two in that series played just fine with a controller or with mouse and keyboard.

On a completely different note, the game is quite enjoyable so far! Once I added a few more party members and got further into the main story, I'm really getting hooked. And, after upgrading my video card (and adding the FPS lock fix to my shortcut) the graphics are really pretty incredible and immersive.

Back
Top Bottom