RPGWatch - Donations part 2

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
When we put the donations page up less than 1 week ago, we hoped to break even later this year. However in less than a week all operational costs related to running this site in 2010 have been covered. We actually received more than the 750 Euros hoped for: we exceeded the sum by one Euro and on top of that there is also the advertising income, budgeted at 135 Euros.
This money is not wasted and will be put to good use: to cover additional costs. We will move to a new server in the second half of 2010 (contract obligations force us to make the move at that time). The current server had a hard disk crash twice and extra money is needed to have the two servers running in parallel for a month or so to be able to move the site to the new server.
If for whatever reason we have more income from ads and donations in 2010 than currently estimated, we will invest it in RPGWatch. If there are no additional costs to pay for, the extra money will be used to pay for the bills in 2011. We have no intention at all to make a profit based on your donations.
Thanks to all of you who showed their support, it has been an amazing week.

More information.

It's good to hear you reached your target. Are you still taking donations? I didn't have the money last week to donate, but, i have some cash sitting around now. I would like to donate a few bucks.

You guys have achieved what no government on earth can achieve - a surplus. Congratultions.

You guys have achieved what no government on earth can achieve - a surplus. Congratultions.
- Have a look at the Norwegian surplus, this summer we were up around 2800000000(EUR) total (in our aptly named "oil-fund")

And it's good to see that you got the donations you needed, congrats!

- Have a look at the Norwegian surplus, this summer we were up around 2800000000(EUR) total (in our aptly named "oil-fund")

I think he meant no US gouverment :D

Great to hear that about the donations, I am also planning to donate..... and I think many others too, so you might get quite a big surplus... take it as a sign of how much people love this site :)

take it as a sign of how much people love this site :)
I think that's the key, right there. The site caters to its audience and is responsive to their needs and requests. It's nice to see that occasionally the good guys do come out OK.

Great news!

Hopefully RPGWatch never suffers the fate of RPGDot, RIP.

Correct, but the costs were much higher back then.

You can ask questions. ;)
Because traffic and server costs declined over the years.

Sorry for the delay, waiting for my next credit card period. So, please put the paypal link back again, I want to donate something too. I have been watching this site since it was born, and before that the rpgdot. I want my favourite site to live forever with us.

It's really that simple. Servers and traffic were more expensive.

Currently we are at 20 Euros above the goal we have set for the donations, which was to cover the operational cost of the RPGWatch server. The extra money was donated just before the links to PayPal were removed. Our thanks to the last benefactor as well, your name has been added.

The donations already made and the ongoing willingness to donate warm our heart, they are definitely taken as a token of appreciation and encouragement. Your readiness to support this site financially means a lot to us.

But, like it or not we limited the donations to 750 Euros from the start. It does not feel right to just change it to another figure, it is like changing the rules of the game during the match. Besides that having a larger sum of donations implies making some administrative changes.
However considering the continuing signs of generosity we have decided to look into it. It will take some time though as some issues have to be investigated first

So at present we are sorry to say that we will have to decline any further donations. Sorry.
When the investigation into the possibilities has finished we might open the possibility to donate again, set with a different limit no doubt. Limits, because we have no intentions to make a profit. Rest assured that you'll be giving the links to donate again, if not this year then surely next year.

I'm not on the list. Now everyone'll think I don't love you :(

The response was indeed overwhelming. Thank you to all donors! :)

I'm not on the list. Now everyone'll think I don't love you :(

No, everybody knows you are part of the inventory. ;) :)

If you've donated you can request to get on the list. If not, you'll get another chance sooner or later.

-----------------------------------------

Nobody should feel pressurized to donate. Our service for you is voluntary, and so are your donations. We are happy about all kinds of interactions. Forum posts, sending in news (of which 50% are simply not posted ;) ), news diskussions and now donations - everything contributes and makes the project RPGWatch a little bit better. :)

Wow, that was quick. I'll have to be faster next time :) I guess this is where it pays off to have a somewhat "older" audience, with some dispensible income ;)

Back
Top Bottom