PC Gamer - Best RPGs of All Time

Is this a nice way to say "Joxer and HiddenX are Old Boys, Golden-Agers, Elderly Persons, Ol' Geezers, Zombies …?" :)

Hahaha maybe? :biggrin:

@Joxer
Simulating Betrayal at Krondor combat with D:OS should be easy. It's turn based and works with a internal grid.

I will take it as joxer and HiddenX is now working on new KS project? :biggrin:

Man, Arcanum is missing, Fallout 2 should be replaced with Fallout 1 and a CRPG top list without Wizardry 7 is invalid.

Well, BAK is in 3d so I don't think it'd work to recreate with the Original Sin pack....

A kickstarter for a new BAK game.... hmm Fesit should do that one himself....

BaK doesn't depend so much on the 3d view. 3d was just "cool and new" back then and they implemented it ugly. The 3d GFX were always the worst part of the game, even at release.

Well, I don't disagree that the 3d is "ugly" but I don't think the exploration would have been the same without that.

How would you do the dungeons and exploration in that way in 2d? it simply wouldn't be BAK. A BAK with modern 3d graphics would be fantastic.

Yep the dungeon exploration would be very different.
Combat, story and overland traveling could be recreated well with the D:OS engine.

A BAK with modern 3d graphics would be fantastic.
+1

It's a very strange list to say the least. It's as if several people just mashed their lists together. That being said, it does include a lot of really great RPGs, and it seems obvious that they only picked one game from each series (with the exception of F: NV and FO2, but they're from two different eras), which is why quite a few games are missing.

As for some of the old classics, like BaK: They specifically mention that the games have to be fun today. Historical meaning is not important to the list. I still replay games like M&M quite frequently, but BaK? Wouldn't cross my mind. It just didn't age well. A serious case of nostalgia is needed to make it even remotely fun in this day and age.

I am, in fact, surprised by the amount of old classics on a list that doesn't take historical meaning into consideration. It's not as if you can toss PS: T to kids today and they'd enjoy it. Still, I most certainly enjoy games like BG2 and PS: T whenever I replay them, so I do agree with it.

Mass effect 2 is on the list but Arcanum isn't !?
Torchlight 2 also shouldn't be on the list out of "big" aRPGs(Titan quest, path of exile, Diablo) TL2 is by far worst.Nice thing is that they included D:OS it definitively deserves place on that list.

Not a bad list for fun factor games. I would have to have a Might and Magic game on that list. Would never make the list but for me Dark Heart of Uukral would be close to the top with Wasteland. But I was around 18 when I played those games so everything was fun at 18. Giggity.

Ever found an opinion list with which you completely agree? I haven't. It's a decent list overall.

Ever found an opinion list with which you completely agree? I haven't.

I did. Usually on RPGwatch, sometimes on cracked.com.

It was a neat list for me until it got to the end, where the late 90's(ish) entries dominate the top spots.

It's hard to judge a game I would never play again, and only played to begin with because of hype on RPG sites. You hear the same things on top lists though. Like Ulyesses is the greatest novel of all time, when I think the author viewed the reader as an enemy. People argue what makes an RPG, well, I thought Torment strained that in to game-like novel territory, stripping the game design of ubiquotous RPG trappings. It is a hardcore #1 on many CRPG lists. I never finished it and never enjoyed it either.

I don't want to start any fights, but if Borderlands can be excluded because of too much action shooting, I think I would exclude Torment for approaching a million words.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom