Legends of Eisenwald - Preview @ PC Gamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PC Gamer has the latest preview of Legends of Eisenwald this week. Overall the writer calls it not quite the old-school RPG it seems to be, but it's still oddly engaging.

But what really polishes my sword is the way Eisenwald so powerfully evokes Darklands, the "realistic" Microprose RPG from 1992. Both games take place in medieval Germanic lands as they were envisioned by the people of the time: filled with great heroes, powerful clerics, mythical creatures, and boundless adventure awaiting those bold enough to seize the day. It's a superficial likeness, and they really aren't anything alike in terms of gameplay, but there are enough presentational similarities to ring the bell—and until a proper Darklands sequel comes along, I'll take what I can get.

That puts Legends of Eisenwald in a place where I can (and do) enjoy it, while not feeling entirely comfortable about actually recommending it to anyone. Even when it's ready for release, I suspect it will be one of those oddball European games that attracts a fiercely dedicated but relatively tiny audience; the Euro Truck Simulator of fantasy RPGs, perhaps. And right now, it's most definitely not ready for release. But I think I'm going to play it some more anyway.
More information.

Last edited:
Hmmm... It is as I feared. The game seems to have the same problems it had long ago (frustrating quests, unfullfilling combat). I hope they can fix it, since this is something I really could dig.

Hmmm… It is as I feared. The game seems to have the same problems it had long ago (frustrating quests, unfullfilling combat). I hope they can fix it, since this is something I really could dig.

I think it's a matter of perception. Many people like combat and quests, some/less don't seem to like one of those or both. The screenshot though on PC Gamer shows me why the frustration - the army has three mercs, 28 gold, -309 daily income.

We will make a separate video about combat. As for quests, the first three chapters is just a start of the story and account maybe for 20-25% of the entire story. I am fairly positive, the story and quests will be perceived differently when the full campaign is available.

I wish you guys the best! I haven't played the game myself, so all I know is from vids and previews. I'm still on the fence. I like the look and the idea very much, though the mechanics are what keeps me playing... or not. I guess I will have to try this out myself at some point in the future.

Thank you! Well, if you ever liked Disciples 2, definitely give it a shot :) Otherwise yes, might be something to learn more. We will make a video to show off combat, I promise.

Last edited:
As far as the combat goes it's a matter of taste. When I started playing Disciples 2 I didn't really like the combat because it felt very limited in a sense that units could not move (they all had different attacks though: ranged, melee or aoe). However the entire game (units, resources,classes, spells) is so well balanced that it soon became my favourite TBS.

Yes, these are exactly my thoughts. Disciples 2 is also one of my favorite games, and the combination of gameplay along with the story is one of the best. Our first game, Discord Times, is different but follows the same line, kind of closer to RPG. Legends of Eisenwald combat is kind of a mix between Disciples 2 and early HoMM combat.

Back
Top Bottom