The Witcher - Two Canceled Expansions

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well this came as surprise to me did you know The Witcher once had two expansions being developed. It's no wonder they were canceled either based on this Eurogamer article.

That's right CD Project was almost bankrupt at one time. Anyway here are the expansion details. Feel free to discuss this in the comment section.

[url=http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher:_Scars_of_Betrayal]The Witcher: Scars of Betrayal
[/URL]
The Witcher: Scars of Betrayal is a canceled add-on for The Witcher. It was in development by Ossian Studios for some time in 2008 but was canceled due to issues on CD Projekt RED's end.

Very little is known about Scars of Betrayal. It took place in a troubled mountain village, with the kind of problem that only a Witcher can solve. The add-on was to shift the gameplay focus further to choices and outcomes.
The Witcher: Outcast
Outcast was going to be released as DLC in most countries and have a disc release in some countries, like Poland and Russia. It was in development from late 2007 until around mid-2008, when it was canceled by CD Projekt RED.

The story takes place in the early part of Geralt’s life, before he is established as a Witcher, during the reign of King Videmont of Aedirn (around 1190). It takes place in the Skellige Isles off the west coast, on an island ruled by jarl Harald. Many years ago, a monster attacked Harald’s pregnant wife Morganna. In return, Harald went out to slay the monster, with the help of the gnome Shiltzen. As payment, Shiltzen demanded Harald’s firstborn, but when Morganna gave birth, she bore twins. Seeing that the second child was monstrous, Harald gave that child to Shiltzen instead of the firstborn Astrid.
More information.

Last edited:
Actually I don't believe that many people know how sad this was for the concerning people.

Let me explain: Ossian Studios had been screwed by Bioware / Atari for their would-be premium module "Darkness over Daggerford" without getting paid. They were handed the "City Aventure" of "Mysteries of Westgate" which was shelved for over 12 month and then went on to produce "Witcher - Scars of Betrayal" which was canceled.

It was even harder for roXidy Games, who started as the DLA team for NWN, where hired by Bioware to produce "Wyvern Crown of Cormyr" (dropping all DLA assets), which hung in limbo to be published as a premium module for 6 months. It was published eventually, but the program was canceled and WCoC 2+3 were busted. They founded roXidy Games and were to produce "Witcher - Outcast", which was canceled, too.

Ossian and roXidy are my definition of vicitims in the games business. Great talent - no chance...

Actually I don't believe that many people know how sad this was for the concerning people.

Let me explain: Ossian Studios had been screwed by Bioware / Atari for their would-be premium module "Darkness over Daggerford" without getting paid. They were handed the "City Aventure" of "Mysteries of Westgate" which was shelved for over 12 month and then went on to produce "Witcher - Scars of Betrayal" which was canceled.

It was even harder for roXidy Games, who started as the DLA team for NWN, where hired by Bioware to produce "Wyvern Crown of Cormyr" (dropping all DLA assets), which hung in limbo to be published as a premium module for 6 months. It was published eventually, but the program was canceled and WCoC 2+3 were busted. They founded roXidy Games and were to produce "Witcher - Outcast", which was canceled, too.

Ossian and roXidy are my definition of vicitims in the games business. Great talent - no chance…

That's sad indeed, it was a brilliant game and I think that many people would have bought that DLC (me included).

It's was really atari, not so much Bioware, the whole industry was in turmoil. Mostly due to the near world economic/financial collapse, where whole counties went bankrupt.

A coverup for the War Crimes, Crimes Against Humanity and Genocide of the bush administration.

./Ancient history, from six years ago.

It's was really atari, not so much Bioware, the whole industry was in turmoil. Mostly due to the near world economic/financial collapse, where whole counties went bankrupt.

A coverup for the War Crimes, Crimes Against Humanity and Genocide of the bush administration.

./Ancient history, from six years ago.
Well the whole point of this post is some of us didn't even know about these expansion packs. Apparently no one cares as it only has three replies.

It's not about the supposed War Crimes, Crimes Against Humanity and Genocide of the bush administration. Please take that talk to the political forums where it belongs.:)

Last edited:
Well the whole point of this post is some of us didn't even know about these expansion packs. Apparently no one cares as it only has three replies.

It's not about the supposed War Crimes, Crimes Against Humanity and Genocide of the bush administration. Please take that talk to the political forums where it belongs.:)

I can't see why this is not relevant here, as it lead to this piece of news!

In most cases I would agree with you that politics is not relevant however in this case its sort of relevant :)

That's sad indeed, it was a brilliant game and I think that many people would have bought that DLC (me included).

I would never buy NWN DLC nor I think it was a brilliant game.
So I'm not with the many who'd buy it.

Besides, all The Witcher DLC is free. For that reason I'm sad expansions were cancelled. Meanwhile we got TW2 and soon TW3 is coming with free DLC so the sadness is not deep. Maybe those planned expansions for TW get included in TW3.

I would never buy NWN DLC nor I think it was a brilliant game.
So I'm not with the many who'd buy it.

Besides, all The Witcher DLC is free. For that reason I'm sad expansions were cancelled. Meanwhile we got TW2 and soon TW3 is coming with free DLC so the sadness is not deep. Maybe those planned expansions for TW get included in TW3.

Mmh, sad. DoD is a wonderful, if flawed game. It was no DLC, but a digitally distributed expansion. WCoC and MoW (for NWN2) were short but fine, too.

The destruction of the Premium Adventures (NWN) / City Adventures (NWN2) program by ATARI was the worst thing possible for the fleding scene that had developed under the AURORA engine community. It threw independant game development at least two years back.

If you don't like NWN, but want to experience what actually was / is possible using AURORA, then play THE HEX CODA. Even if it is unfinished for the above reasons, it will open your eyes.

BTW: The only games I ever bought in digital destribution are NWN expansions. NWN (the engine, not the vanilla game) was a stroke of genius. Period.

What was possible with Aurora is best seen in TW1.
Which uses heavily changed Aurora by cdpr devs who decided not to use it at all for TW2 - and to me that wasn't a surprise at all.

Germany you say? A strike of genius is the engine used in Drakensang games. Compared to that one, Aurora looks like child's play.

What was possible with Aurora is best seen in TW1.
Which uses heavily changed Aurora by cdpr devs who decided not to use it at all for TW2 - and to me that wasn't a surprise at all.

Germany you say? A strike of genius is the engine used in Drakensang games. Compared to that one, Aurora looks like child's play.

Only the scripting parts of TW1 are based on Aurora. Nothing else. They used it, because they knew it from NWN and understood its basic principles. It is also quite quick to script and Bioware licenced it for a dime (think Python pricing IIRC). Of all the bugs TW1 had, scripting bugs were the least common, I think. TW2 was a MUCH bigger project than pt. 1 and CDPR hat enough resources to build an engine complete with gfx, snd and scripting themselves.

Comparing Drakensang and Aurora is like comparing The Pinball Construction Set (1983) with Pro Pinball Timeshock (1997). The first one is very old, flexible, easy to use and made to enable users to create basic, ugly pinball tables. The second one is younger, inflexible, w/o any modding ability beyond scripting and made to let users play one of the most beautiful and best computer pinball tables ever created.

You see: Comparing them makes no sense, because they are indented to do totally different things.

Aurora is only 6 years older than Nebula device. Not 15 like those pinballs.
Aurora2 (Electron Engine) is only 2 years older.
Unlike Nebula device, Aurora is NOT an open source code.

Nebula device was intended to do TDE, Aurora was intended to do d&d. Totally similar things of converting tabletop rules into a crpg, the difference is that Nebula device does the job better.

And honestly, if TW2 used Nebula device, I wouldn't mind at all. And they could as in that engine much bigger project than TW1 can be made. Not that I'm unhappy with cdpr's selfmade engine.

Nebula device and Nebula engine are two different things - Nebula engine is ment for browserbased games, it's used by Bigpoint although also developed by Radon Labs and I'm unsure if that one is open source

Last edited:
Aurora is only 6 years older than Nebula.
Aurora2 (Electron Engine) is only 2 years older.
Unlike Nebula, Aurora is NOT open source code.

Nebula was intended to do TDE, Aurora was intended to do d&d. Totally similar things, the only difference is that Nebula does the job better.

No, only the scripting part of Aurora was used in TW1. Electron is copyrighted by Obsidian, not Bioware AFAIK. BTW: 6 years are a eternity in the games business.

Nebula is a normal development engine (free, of course), but NOT a simple "create your rpg" toolbox like Aurora. What's so difficult about it?

There is only one simple "create your rpg toolbox" out there and it's RPGmaker.
Aurora is far from that.
Nebula device uses lua and/or python for scripting:
http://sourceforge.net/p/nebuladevice/wiki/Home/

I'll discontinue since it's an offtopic of a sort, although not completely as Aurora is today practically dead and making expansions with it would now be silly.

Aurora is today practically dead and making expansions with it would now be silly.

Muhaha…

To prove you're wrong.

And noone in his right mind speaks of selling expansions for NWN in 2014. This topic is about two canceled TW1 Expansions which were created by former NWN modders...

Muhaha…

To prove you're wrong.

And noone in his right mind speaks of selling expansions for NWN in 2014. This topic is about two canceled TW1 Expansions which were created by former NWN modders…
Don't bother he hates anything about NWN , and that includes the Aurora engine. Sometimes I wonder if he even envoys playing any game.:)

Back
Top Bottom