Torment: Tides of Numenera - A New Look

I think you wont need to pass time quicker. Afaik they want "less combat, but more meaningfull". So filler combat out, harder fights remain.

Let me get this straight, it's a story driven, text heavy game with optional turn based combat, and some people complain about the dialogue box being too big?

Let me get this straight, it's a story driven, text heavy game with optional turn based combat, and some people complain about the dialogue box being too big?

Sure, when the text is so massive I can read it from across the room. That sort of thing will make my eyes bleed in the long run. Reading a PS: T style amount of text means the text has to be somewhat comfortable to read, or it's going to be a rather frustrating experience.

At any rate, it was already confirmed earlier in the thread that the UI scales, so it probably won't be an issue.

Some of us aren't blind to obvious flaws based on emotional investment. But if the UI does scale properly, it's not a problem.

Yeah, you definitely need half the screen full of UI to read a bit of text.

There's that blindness again.

Game looks cool, sure, but let's not be obtuse about things that might not be ideal.

…that video…wow.

Turn-based does make the player more involved in combat decisions. It makes more sense to use when you have large parties and/or a diversity of combat options. Given that this game has a disproportionately lower amount of combat, RTwP might have been the better option—just to pass the time quicker. But I'm happy with either.

I can't agree with that at all. You're saying RTwP is a better option when there's less combat? I'd say the exact opposite is true. I definitely wouldn't want turn-based in a game with lots of filler combat.

I like big fonts too. People are shocked when they see my Firefox fonts :) nothing to do with blindness, just so much easier on the eyes (and I have perfect sight)

Some of us aren't blind to obvious flaws based on emotional investment. But if the UI does scale properly, it's not a problem.

I'm not emotionally invested in TTON, only financially :p

Depending on the length of time I'm going to spend plowing through lines of text, making it take up a larger percentage of the screen might be good, or even wise. Of course this also depends on how "lively" every secene is. No need to bring Planescape back.

I'm not emotionally invested in TTON, only financially :p

Depending on the length of time I'm going to spend plowing through lines of text, making it take up a larger percentage of the screen might be good, or even wise. Of course this also depends on how "lively" every secene is. No need to bring Planescape back.

Back in the day, BG and other games were running in 640x480 - so it made sense that the UI would take up a lot of the screen for readable text.

These days, however, there's absolutely no reason to enforce huge backgrounds for fonts - and as much as people like to look past this issue, I don't believe for a second they're that blind.

Text isn't the problem, it's the UI.

Anyway, people are saying it can scale - and, as such, it's a non-issue.

Let's check out the final game.

At least the rest of it looks pretty good, and though it's not my cup of tea - I might be inclined to play it because of TB combat. I tend to enjoy that if it's done well.

Yeah it looks great :) I also like big fonts too, WL2 made my eyes bleed with the small fonts (that was beta, I haven't installed the whole game yet, hopefully you can adjust the fonts/ui in full game?)

Back
Top Bottom