Witcher Trouble installing the Enhanced Edition Patch.

The Witcher

human_male

Math and girls is hard.
Hi. I have the US, standard version of the game (1.0.0.1101). I registered my game without incident and downloaded the Enhanced Edition patch. When I run it however it gets to the point where it checks if I have a registered version of the game then gives me the message"Unable to connect to remote server".

I've searched for the problem and the only response I could find was "Our server was down but it should be fine now."

I've tried a few times, at different times of the day, over a few days, and with my firewall off.

Would anyone know what the problem might be? If the server is down again how long should it take to be back up? Or is it a problem on my end?

Many thanks.

Hi. Did you switch off all the firewalls? There's this Windows Internet Connection Firewall and anti-virus software can have a firewall as well. I've recently gone through the authentication procedure while upgrading from the patch 1.0 to 1.4. Everything went OK, so their servers are responding. I'm curious where the authentication servers are located, maybe there's some significant lag? No problem with your internet connection?Is it wi-fi or something else?

Hi. Did you switch off all the firewalls? There's this Windows Internet Connection Firewall and anti-virus software can have a firewall as well. I've recently gone through the authentication procedure while upgrading from the patch 1.0 to 1.4. Everything went OK, so their servers are responding. I'm curious where the authentication servers are located, maybe there's some significant lag? No problem with your internet connection?Is it wi-fi or something else?

Thanks for responding so quickly. I turned my firewall off (Comodo) but now you said that I forgot all about Windows Firewall. I've had a look in the control panel security center and it says Comodo is on, but it says that even if I turn it off. Windows firewall is off.

My internet connections ok. Wired broadband.

The trouble with firewalls is that they can continue running even when they seem to be disabled,and they can shut down some ports. Check this little application,EnumProcess :
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/tools.html#enumprocess
Sometimes anti-virus software may interfere as well. Some people had to uninstall their anti-virus/firewall applications for the time of installing the patch.
One more thing which may be useful: use an administrator account to install the patch. When I was installing from a limited user account, UAC dialog appeared, I typed in the administrator password, and, after some time, the patch didn't finish the install, it just hung. When I switched to the administrator account, everything went smoothly.

The trouble with firewalls is that they can continue running even when they seem to be disabled,and they can shut down some ports. Check this little application,EnumProcess :
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/tools.html#enumprocess
Sometimes anti-virus software may interfere as well. Some people had to uninstall their anti-virus/firewall applications for the time of installing the patch.
One more thing which may be useful: use an administrator account to install the patch. When I was installing from a limited user account, UAC dialog appeared, I typed in the administrator password, and, after some time, the patch didn't finish the install, it just hung. When I switched to the administrator account, everything went smoothly.

You were right, I had to completely uninstall Comodo and it worked fine. I would not have thought to check that if you hadn't mentioned it so thank you very much. There's me turning Comodo off whenever I play a game thinking I was freeing up system resources but I apparently was doing jack all.

I installed 1.5 successfully also so now I have 1.4.5.1304 which I believe is the current version.

My next problem is I ran the director's cut patch and I still don't have boobies.

I established that I had the US version by downloading Rad Video and running the cs_sex_adda1.bik movie to show a sex card who is clothed in the US version but bare breasted in the international/director's cut version.

I downloaded the directorscutpatch.exe and ran it from the game folder. It did it's thing and seemed to finish successfully. But I checked the adda movie again but her sex card still shows her breasts covered.

Would you happen to know what I can do about that?

And also, would anyone know a good firewall that you can shut off, and when it's off it's off?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can help with the director's patch problem. I thought they sold the uncensored version of The Witcher in Australia and New Zealand. Maybe try to re-download or use another mirror, and install the patch under the same account you used when you installed the original game/earlier patches.

I'm not sure I can help with the director's patch problem. I thought they sold the uncensored version of The Witcher in Australia and New Zealand. Maybe try to re-download or use another mirror, and install the patch under the same account you used when you installed the original game/earlier patches.

I assumed we'd get the international version as well but apparently they import from the US also.

It turns out it had worked. It didn't overwrite the cs_sex_adda1.bik movie as I assumed it would, it installed another version of it in a new directory. That one has the boobies.

Thanks again for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom