Undertale - Highest Rated PC Game Ever @ Forbes

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
You still haven't bought Undertale? - read this Forbes article:

A New RPG Developed By One Man Just Passed 'Half-Life 2' To Become Highest Rated PC Game Ever

I think everyone has a friend like Josh Knowles. You know, the enthusiastic gamer who’s always pulling for the underdog developer, constantly planting bugs in your ear about the next big thing that’s slightly off the radar. When he told me in no uncertain terms that I had to check out a new RPG called Undertale, I feigned interest and mentally added it to the massive list of games I want to play but, realistically, will have no time for during the holiday release onslaught.

A few days passed and he bugged me about it again. “I’m legit emotionally invested in this game,” he said. “Also, no big deal, but it’s the highest rated PC game of all time, so, maybe give it a shot?”

I pointed my browser to Metacritic and sorted all PC releases by score. There it was in all its green glory. A 97, dethroning Valve’s Half-Life 2. Surpassing Grand Theft Auto V. Coming in above Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, and Skyrim. But unlike those blockbuster AAA titles, Undertale was developed by one man. Toby Fox. It costs $9.99, and was crowdfunded in 2013 to the tune of $51,124.

Here’s a sampling of the reviews thus far:
  • Undertale is one of the best roleplaying games I’ve ever played, and I do not say that lightly.” ~Jim Sterling via The Jimquisition.
  • “The fact that this is basically a one-person project only makes it more impressive, from the excellent use of simple graphics to convey emotion, to the fantastic lo-fi soundtrack. It may or may not be the best RPG you play this year, but it’s certainly going to be one of the most worthwhile—as memorable as anything in, say, The Witcher 3, and every bit as worthy.” ~Richard Cobbett via PC Gamer.
  • “Undertale provided me with many hours of laughter, happiness, and warm, fuzzy feelings, all the while surprising me with some truly sad and shocking moments out of the blue. It’s the kind of game that I’ll want to replay many times in order to see how all of the various choices play out, and I’m sure I will remember it fondly for years to come.” ~Ben Davis via Destructoid.
  • “Undertale is a spiritual successor of many games – Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, even drawing inspiration from more modern indies like Cave Story. Yet Undertale manages to stand on its own despite those games, and create something that will feel inherently nostalgic, soothing, and sentimental, regardless of your prior experience.” Eric Van Allen via Gaming Trend.

Based on the reviews I’ve skimmed and the gameplay footage I’ve watched, Undertale is dripping with memorable 8-bit music, a quirky and endless sense of humor that pervades ever facet of the game, and a reverence for the classic games (and gaming references) we grew up loving. Perhaps most importantly, it seems to be eliciting the kind of emotion and attachment that’s rare even with hundreds of developers at the helm.

I acknowledge that Metacritic is a joke in some circles, but it still remains incredibly relevant to everyone involved in the industry. It also makes for one hell of an impactful headline…

Still the fact remains that one-man indie developer Fox has pulled off a monumental achievement. It certainly looks like a game worth experiencing, and potentially worthy of inclusion in your Game of the Year discussions.

Next time the Josh Knowles in your life urges you to check out that unknown game, consider making room on your calendar? And note to self:
Stop ignoring indies.
More information.

Metacritic:
Critic reviews: 97 - positive 11, mixed 0, negative 0
User score: 8.2 - positive 120, mixed 3, negative 17

Undertale is extremly humour driven and with that, a very culturally specific humour.
And without the humour, gameplay wise...

Yeah, all reviewers seems to mention the same JRP titles as references and I suspect that you have to be a JRPG fan to fully appreciate it.

Let's put aside the fact that game journalists are mentally deprived hacks.

Half-Life 2: 81 reviews - 96 avg
Undertale: 11 reviews - 97 avg

"it’s the highest rated PC game of all time"

Yea... metacritic magik at work.

overrated as hell

Yeah, all reviewers seems to mention the same JRP titles as references and I suspect that you have to be a JRPG fan to fully appreciate it.

Not really, i remember the first time i played an Earthbound game, I enjoyed it immensely. It is definitely lighthearted, if you dont like those kind of games then maybe you wont like it.

Wow, I think you who are so negative really are missing the point of the article. He is not saying it is the greatest game of all time or that metacritic is awesome. He is however saying it is a good game easily overlooked. Isn't that nice about a small indie title?

Not really, i remember the first time i played an Earthbound game, I enjoyed it immensely. It is definitely lighthearted, if you dont like those kind of games then maybe you wont like it.

I don't mind lighthearted, I just haven't detected any lightheartedness in this game yet. Ok, let me redefine that... I have detected attempts at lightheartedness but they just passed me by.

Back
Top Bottom