What are the classifications of RPGs

Stahl33

Watchdog
Just trying to understand some of the acronyms!

What does aRPG; cRPG; jRPG mean?
I assume aRPG is action based RPG; cRPG is combat based - but what does that mean?; and jRPG means junior????

Also are there any other acronyms that could be mentioned that might be helpful in reading these forums?

Thanks in advance, I check RPGwatch everyday, and just have trouble understanding some of the acronyms that haven't been explained.

Yes, aRPG is action RPG. cRPG is computer RPGs and is often used to describe RPGs that have design philosophies that are based on computer input -- as well as Western design philosophies. jRPG is Japanese RPG. It is used for games that have elements similar to the older Final Fantasy games.

Maybe somebody, HiddenX comes to mind, should create a beginners guide for the site.

Don't see them used on this site much but if you check other RPGs sites you may come across them

tRPG - Tactical RPG
sRPG - Strategy RPG

Those are pretty interchangeable

Thanks guys,

Final fantasy!! awesome... The earliest RPG I ever played was Mobius on the old Apple 2E computer when I was a kid (You know 2 big floppy drives, 1 for the boot disk and the other for the program). But I used to have to write my own back then on basic. Used to play tabletop Dungeons and dragons with friends at school though. Things have come a long way. And the good old muds! I miss them. The old text based MMORPG. Text games allow your imagination a lot of room to play!
Hmm enough sentimentalism! Back to work!

Don't see them used on this site much but if you check other RPGs sites you may come across them

tRPG - Tactical RPG
sRPG - Strategy RPG

Those are pretty interchangeable

Unfortunately the terms "strategic" and "tactical" are often used as synonyms.

But they have a very different meaning:

"strategic" means always a long term planning/thinking process:
How to develop an army? In which order I'm going to attack the next enemy maps? How do I plan my resources?

"tactical" means always a short term planning/thinking process:
Which tactics do I use in this battle? What is this unit doing next?

Back
Top Bottom