Interplay - Starts Internal Development

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Proving that you really can't can't trust the undead to stay down comes the Bizzaro-world news that not only is Interplay reviving an in-house development studio to work on an unannounced MMOG (no prizes for guessing) but that they have hired Jason Anderson (Fallout and ex-Troika-ite) as Creative Director:
"This quarter marks an important milestone in the company's difficult turnaround period of the past three years," commented, Interplay Chairman and CEO Herve Caen. "We are now focused on a two-pronged growth strategy. As we are working to secure funding for the development of a Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) based on the popular Fallout franchise, we are at the same time exploring ways to leverage our impressive portfolio of gaming properties through sequels and various development and publishing arrangements."
Caen went on to note that the company is resuscitating its in-house game development studio and has hired Jason Anderson, veteran of Fallout 1 and 2, as creative director of an unannounced MMOG.
More information.

Jason - what are you thinking? I can only assume he has signed on for some ridiculous salary and figures he may as well take what he can, while he can.

He can't honestly believe Interplay will successfully launch a Fallout MMOG, can he?

Jason - what are you thinking? I can only assume he has signed on for some ridiculous salary and figures he may as well take what he can, while he can.

He can't honestly believe Interplay will successfully launch a Fallout MMOG, can he?

your cold, dry indifference is slipping dhruiny.

But seriously, what next? Atari as the publisher?

Interplay can't offer ridiculous salary figures.

I've been talking to Jason & co for a bit now, obviously, and I knew he was really starting to get that itch in his fingers of wanting to return to gaming, and remember his predilection to MMOs. From the NMA interview:
Where do you see computer RPGs going?

IMHO, the current future of RPGs is most definitely in MMOs. I believe the MMORPG is still evolving and that it has not yet reached its peak. I am really looking forward to seeing what the future holds for the genre and hopefully being a part of it.

So there he was, wanting to get back to gaming, wanting to try his hand at MMOs. Where was he to go? To his buddy Cain at NCSoft? To his buddy Boyarsky at Blizzard? Both might've made sense, but neither offered him the opportunity to be a lead on a title.

Sure it's a long shot. A damned long shot, in fact, but it's also a unique opportunity. And the Andersons aren't exactly starved for cash, AFAIK, they're definitely richer than the average developer.

I have immense respect for all the ex-Trioka fellowship and it's good to see them coming back to gaming, even if it's in a way which I don't grok too well, but I did get a snort or two out of Caen's awesome two prong strategy:

As we are working to secure funding for the development of a Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) [Thanx for defining that] based on the popular Fallout franchise, we are at the same time exploring ways to leverage our impressive portfolio of gaming properties[Earthworm Jim FTW..] through sequels and various development and publishing arrangements."

And "resuscitating its in-house game development studio" is strangely apt as well.:floating:

Yeah, I noticed the hints that Jason was interested in - or was in the process of - returning to game development but I can't believe it's at Interplay.

That Interplay will be the last corporation standing when Judgment Day comes doesn't surprised me but I didn't expect this, so colour me surprised.

Any chance the in-house game development studio will NOT be called "Black Isle Studios"?

I've got to admit I'm surprised that Herve was able to hold onto Interplay and bring it (sorta) back from the dead. I'm impressed with his tenacity or just down right stubborness for not completely destroying his company, but then again he did make Fallout:pOS and should be utterly destroyed for that wreck of a game.

Even if he pulls this one off I will still be left out in the cold with only Beth's Fallout because I can't stand MMOs. So good luck Herve, your going to need it.

So... this one and the TES MMO is what Zenimax needed the $300M for then, huh? :)

What?

TES has its own MMO studio, why in Frith's name would they invest in their competitor?

To avoid that someone else grabs the Fallout MMO license? Remember the licensing deal between Bethesda and Interplay? Bethesda would have acquired the Fallout MMO rights by -when was it again... 2009?- unless Interplay was able to start full scale development of a Fallout MMO before that date (and it must be launched before -when... 2012?- too lazy to look it up ;) ). The plan of Betheda might have been all along to actually be the ones funding that MMO. Maybe they didn't want to wait or take chances until the rights auto-transferred to them. It's a possibility. Who knows? How else would Interplay be able to fund full scale development of an MMO? I don't see anyone other than Bethesda/Zenimax investing that kind of money.

The plan of Betheda might have been all along to actually be the ones funding that MMO. Maybe they didn't want to wait or take chances until the rights auto-transferred to them. It's a possibility. Who knows?

How else would Interplay be able to fund full scale development of an MMO? I don't see anyone other than Bethesda/Zenimax investing that kind of money.

Do you note how these two paragraphs contradict?

Bethesda never was taking any chances on the MMO rights if nobody is going to invest that kind of money, now are they?

Your speculation makes no sense to me.

Zenimax is waiting for Herve to fail in gathering the required capital, that's true.

But they are not funding it, that would go against their interests, since they want the thing without having to pay more for it than what they already payed for the Fallout license, Herve was trying to get the funding from investors in France, no success so far.

Interplay wants to publish a new Descent, a new Dark Alliance and a new Eathworm Jim game too, by the way. I said publish, mind you.

Played a lot of their games down the years so I'd like to see them up and running once again.

A decent Fallout game would be interesting even if it was an MMO.

I can see Jason signing for a percentage/partnership deal, true it's a roll of the dice, however there is a viable longshot.
I could see also, some funding especially EU or Asian money, iirc they have the highest per capita of MMO players, of course the financiers would be nuts not to have an inhouse representative in all studios involved. ;)

The way I see it, Mr. Jason Anderson agreed to start working on a Fallout MMO "under Interplay" knowing him and the project will be transferred to Bethesda/Zenimax once the requirements of the Interplay/Bethesda contract that Moriendor mentioned (too lazy to look it up as well) aren't met.

The way I see it, Mr. Jason Anderson agreed to start working on a Fallout MMO "under Interplay" knowing him and the project will be transferred to Bethesda/Zenimax once the requirements of the Interplay/Bethesda contract that Moriendor mentioned (too lazy to look it up as well) aren't met.

If the Fallout MMO falls through ZeniMax is under no obligations to take over finished work or employees.
Considering they did neither for Fallout 3, what makes you think the then-assembled team of ZeniMax Online would sing a different tune?

While I wish no love upon Herve Caen, I do sort of hope this Fallout Online project actually comes through, if only because I'd rather see someone like Jason Anderson on the project instead of whatever Bethesda would do with the game.
If FOOL is going to exist, better if be the result of someone with a history on Fallout who at least knows the material.

Considering they did neither for Fallout 3, what makes you think the then-assembled team of ZeniMax Online would sing a different tune?

Nothing, it's only speculations, but it felt like the most logical explanation as to why Anderson accepted such an offer, I can't believe someone with his experience and background can believe Interplay will be able to complete a project of that scale.
Also I was hoping Bethesda won't do the same mistake of preventing themselves from benefiting from the talented people that worked on Fallout 1 & 2.

Back
Top Bottom