Project Eternity - Update #14, The Music

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There's another Project Eternity update, talking about the music and offering three sample tracks, as well as the track from the Kickstarter announcement video to download:
Souls, the supernatural, a fantasy setting, mature themes... These are just a few of the big ideas behind Project Eternity's story and world. As with any great CRPG story, music plays an important role in communicating those ideas. This was true for the Infinity Engine games as well. Looking back they all had one thing in common with regards to music: all are known for having strong and memorable soundtracks that drew you in as a listener and set fire to your imagination. That's exactly what we're aiming for with the music for Project Eternity.
So what will the music sound like? Great question! Describing music with words alone can be a tricky thing to do because so much of that is subjective and wide open for interpretation. Even still it's important to have some sort of plan in place before writing a single note. You need an idea that will guide you towards creating an effective score. To help paint that picture more clearly, here are three words that we believe best describe what the score will ultimately sound like:
Mystical
Ancient
Emotive
More information.

While they said that they might look outside for a music composer, I think they should give the job to Justin Bell.

Was really hoping they had managed to nab Jeremy Soule for this since he composed so much of the excellent infinity engine stuff but guess he comes with a hefty price tag now.
Kai Rosenkrantz would have been my 2nd choice were he not retired from the industry.
Still the music shown here is pretty dam good so if it is the same guy doing the ingame stuff i am sure he will impress.

They should hire the guy that did Divine Divinity, best soundtrack maybe ever. Kiril Povrosky or something like that?

Looked it up, you can download the Divine Divinity soundtrack free

http://www.kirillpokrovsky.com/

They should hire… Probably noone.
Instead they should use Vivaldi's scores. It worked perfectly in PST (Brothel of slating IL), for those who forgot and for those who didn't play PST (is that even possible) here's the masterpiece concert for two oboes, skip to 1:30 for the part used in PST:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idvttpu5hF0

And for those who never heard about Antonio Vivaldi (now that's even less possible, but wouldn't surprise me) just so you know he didn't just write Four Seasons, he was the one responsible for Bach's ingenious work (dramatisation only Vivaldi could teach), he was the one who made some revolutional scores (one of first concerts for cello, and definetly the earliest concert for two cellos), etc.

I'm aware that modern audience expects in modern games music from Gaga, Bieber, and similar performers of low or none artistic value. Sorry, but IMO classic scores seem to fit better in fantasy setting.

I would love to see Kai Rosenkranz (Gothic) as the hired composer with a full orchestra at his disposal. (He left Piranha Bytes and I have no idea what he is doing now).

While they said that they might look outside for a music composer, I think they should give the job to Justin Bell.

I don't know about this. I did like the Kickstarter music but the way I see it, a few minutes of "atmospheric" music is not enough to guarantee a great soundtrack. I guess it is up to Obsidian and him to decide whether he is up to the task.

They should hire… Probably noone.
Instead they should use Vivaldi's scores. It worked perfectly in PST (Brothel of slating IL), for those who forgot and for those who didn't play PST (is that even possible) here's the masterpiece concert for two oboes, skip to 1:30 for the part used in PST:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idvttpu5hF0
That was not used in the brothel, but civic festhall :).
Soundtrack for the brothel was the awesome Fall-from-Grace theme, which is a kind of music I´d definitely like to appear in PE (incidentally, it sounds quite mystical, ancient and emotive at the same time). Some Vivaldi-ish tracks might be fitting too though.
Actually, mix of music similar to what Planescape came with (Nordom theme being an exception), with a hint of Icewind Dale here and there, would probably be perfect for PE, in my book.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was eager to write it as soon as possible so my mind played a trick on me, thinking about one location, writing another. :(
It was probably a dirty part of mind with the word "brothel" yelling all over the place. ;)

It was probably a dirty part of mind with the word "brothel" yelling all over the place. ;)
The brothel theme (and, well, the brothel itself) is certainly one of many subversions Planescape delivered :).

Sounds turned off immediately anyways, save the money and do more content. And kudos for not spending a penny on voices, great move. I can actually read, work with that and put the money where it belongs.

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom