Drakensang: The Dark Eye - Review Flood

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The first batch of Drakensang reviews are online, many of them in mainstream publications. Some additional material has also been integrated into the list. All articles and videos are in German.

More information.

The game looks beautiful (i watch some review screenshots).

Cant wait to see the English version come out.

By the way, anyone here speak German?? because i want to know why reviewers are giving 80-89% rating, some bugs on game?? or is because they are complaining like all reviewers about the graphics don't have shiny bum bum or Tesla rays???
________
400Gt

Last edited:
According to the reviews Drakensang is almost bug-free, and it has relatively low system requirements. You can max everything on a 100$ graphics card (GeForce 8800).

Hers somthing
Pros:
spannende Story
erfrischend andere Welt
kaum Bugs
Aventurien, wie es sich DSA-Spieler vorgestellt haben
atmosphärischer Soundtrack

Cons:
keine freie Charaktererstellung
manchmal zu linear
seltene Kameraprobleme

87%

With my "german" I can make out somthing like:
Cons:
-no free character development
-too linear
-cameraproblems

More cons:

Not modern but "okay" 80%

Cons
- Zuweilen arg altmodisch
- Zäher Beginn
- Nicht sehr einsteigerfreundlich
- Störrische Kamera
- Durchwachsene KI
- Lange Laufwege
- Nur solide Grafik
- Nicht alle Dialoge vertont

Webtranslation:

- Now and again badly in an old-fashioned way
- Tough beginning
- Not very friendly to beginner
- Stubborn camera
- Streaky KI
- Long run ways
- Only respectable graphic arts
- Sets to music not all dialogs

Doesnt sound that bad: too old fashioned, unfriendly to beginners, too much running, graphics only "good enough", somthing abt dialog (all is not toned?).

Last edited:
Dunno, but these ratings are already quite good.

90s ratings are relatively rare.

About the game you can read more here: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5057

@zakhal: Your German is right, except that it reads "seldom/rare camera problems".

The camera is the only thing that drives me nuts. It's kind of similar to Jade Empire, I think.

It is not fixed at all, I think.

The character development is not free at all, but with the exception of the so-called "expert mode", where you can re-distribute points again.

A *really* free character development would be too much to handle, because the P&P system is actually *very* free with that.

The linearity is something I heard before - but otherwise i heard there are tons of sub-quests either.

The only *real* complaint I hear is that one cannot re-visit places again - except Ferdok, the main town.

If you didn't complete your sub-quests there, then they are lost.

hard for a beginner? So is gothic I or 3 :p
so that I wouldn't call a con, Hope more english stuff will apear because my german is terrible

I just rad a rumor in the official forum that EIDOS will distribute the UK version. ETA: Q1/09.

Doesnt sound that bad: too old fashioned, unfriendly to beginners, too much running, graphics only "good enough", somthing abt dialog (all is not toned?).

May I?
Cons
- Zuweilen arg altmodisch
- Zäher Beginn
- Nicht sehr einsteigerfreundlich
- Störrische Kamera
- Durchwachsene KI
- Lange Laufwege
- Nur solide Grafik
- Nicht alle Dialoge vertont

Ghantranslation:

- Now and again too old-fashioned
- Slow beginning
- Not very newbie friendly
- Stubborn camera
- Spotty AI
- Lots of running around
- Only respectable graphic arts
- not all dialogs voiced

Well, character development is as free as it can get with those rules that have made the transition from P&P to CRPG.
What isn't free (and what is meant here) is that character creation isn't free. You can only choose from 20 predefined Race/Culture/Profession combinations instead of being able to choose from about 15 races, about 100 cultures and hundreds of professions in the P&P - so in the P&P version you literally have a myriad of combination possibilities.

And by "zäher Beginn" it is not meant that the beginning is tough (as in difficult) but that it is kind of boring, until you have played a few hours (or at leat one or two hours) - which I would agree with.

The game is a great old school experience. Sure there are a few complains but its so extremly bug free....its almost a religious experience. I mean....open the box...put in the dvd....install (5-8 min.). Start the game...PLAY! Ive encounter no bugs so far. And the story reveals slowly but very strong. I recommend it to everyone who loves RPGs.

I'm reading everywhere about camera problems... there are none. The camera is perfectly fine. You just got to use the WASD keys to move and the mouse to rotate the camera, pretty much like you move your avatar in any mmo nowadays. I think these guys having problems because they use the click-to-move style.

I haven't really found any bugs yet, and haven't experienced any crashes either. Runs quite smooth and still looks very good. But yeah, it's a bit old fashioned and has some stupid design flaws. I think the reviews are quite right. It's still a good game, quite big too as far as I can guess from where I am right now. The only thing I don't like is really is that it is a bit too linear for my taste.

I just rad a rumor in the official forum that EIDOS will distribute the UK version. ETA: Q1/09.

Damn, thats quite a bit off...
Still, good to see the game getting good reviews...
I had a good feeling for this one.

I'm reading everywhere about camera problems... there are none. The camera is perfectly fine. You just got to use the WASD keys to move and the mouse to rotate the camera, pretty much like you move your avatar in any mmo nowadays. I think these guys having problems because they use the click-to-move style.

Well, if you are always playing the newest MMOs, then this is kind of "traditional stuff", but others, who might have not played any RPG in ages, but are attracted by the TDE license and world, might have serious problems.

I don't regard the camera as "perfectly fine", because it doesn't allow me to have the overview I'd like to see.

I can't zoom out as much as I want.

Plus, if your mouse sensitivity is too fine, then the camera will be jumping around - especially in inexperienced hands !

Odd, it seemed to me that it allowed you to zoom back almost too far; but to each their own.

If people are acustomed to the realms of arkania games then they should pick this up well because it uses keyboard movement. Almost all games back then used keyboard movement and people like me can't get acustomed to point-and-click movement very easily.

Last edited:
I don't understand why some magazines and reviews comment on the game as "bad graphics". I mean, I am really demanding in matters of graphics, and still I often find myself standing in a meadow, a forest, a cave and admire the wonderful, lush details, the butterflies, the grass in the wind, the details of the wood and rock, everything! Its so beautiful! I dont understand at all how any review can call this game's graphics bad. There is so much beauty, also in the quests, the stories behind them, so much humor and atmosphere. Drakensang has it's edges and minor shortcomings, but it sure is a candidate for 90% imo.

Back
Top Bottom