Rage

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I haven't been paying much attention to id Software's new first-person shooter, but my interest peaked after seeing this new video. This game looks like a cross between Fallout 3 and Borderlands.

Open-world gameplay, and the setting looks great from what I've seen. Current release date is October 4th.

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=31259

Does indeed look interesting. Hope it's more than a 10 hour single player campaign though.
It was confirmed that it takes at least 15 hours to finish the main story-line.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Tim-willits-RAGE-DOOM-4-single-player-FPS,12530.html
Don't know how much side quests can add up to that.

Overall, I am interested in it too. In the trailers I saw, it sounded a very intense and engaging FPS. Although Carmack is hyping it a lot and if the game doesn't meet the high exceptions, people will make fun of him and his studio a lot for a long time.

I'll be very surprised if it ends up being a disappointment, and I don't think it will. id Software has never made a bad game, imo.

This game looks like a cross between Fallout 3 and Borderlands.

Hmm, what?

Are we talking about setting - or are there significant RPG elements?

I'm talking about looks. Watch the video.

I don't think too much has been revealed about actual gameplay yet, but I don't expect significant RPG elements. Afaik, it's an open-world first-person shooter, but it will have some kind of quest/mission system.

Ah, ok then - thought so.

Not really my thing - but maybe it'll be a nice diversion.

Carmack is king of the optimized engines, so I doubt it will be the most taxing game out there even if its pretty. This honestly looks like a big Borderland ripoff, but I loved that game so bring it on!

Perhaps those are early beta but it really doesn't look that good, I was expecting much much better graphics.

Perhaps those are early beta but it really doesn't look that good, I was expecting much much better graphics.

I'm not sure how you could have much better graphics and still have huge open levels like that. Personally, I think it looks great. They seem to have really nailed the setting and atmosphere.

I think there are limits to the size of the world because of the megatexture thing. Some forumers complained about the lack of dynamic lighting since everything is baked into the megatexture. I think its very different from what Crytek does. Upsides seems to be that artists can in principle uniquely texture the entire world, and I don't think the landscape is modeled with a simple heightmap either. Don't they also support a framerate of 60 fps which would limit graphics?

The video is the best presentation of the game I've seen yet. A couple of the previous ones were a bit boring.

Last edited:
I've had my eye on Rage for awhile as its developed. I agree with JDR - ID rarely disappoint and I think I've played and enjoyed all of their games. I'm hoping for a cross between Mad Max, Fallout and Autoduel! :)

Whilst there probably won't be any RPG elements to speak of, the gameplay should be diverting and at least conjure up/immerse the player in a fun post-apocalyptic setting.

I'm keen as mustard to play it.

"Keen as mustard". Now that's and expression I haven't heard/read before, and it's not entirely clear to me what it means. Are you really keen, or are you actually not keen? Or something in between?

Says pibbur who maybe is keen as mustard to learn new things.

"Keen as mustard". Now that's and expression I haven't heard/read before, and it's not entirely clear to me what it means. Are you really keen, or are you actually not keen? Or something in between?

I'd guess that if you were standing in-between him and a copy of Rage, you might want to move out of the way.

I'd guess that if you were standing in-between him and a copy of Rage, you might want to move out of the way.

Thanks for the advice.

Says Pibbur who goes into hiding.

BTW: Mustard is an example of how children usually are a huuuge disappointment. I must tell you about that, some day (If I haven't already).

Says pibbur who maybe is keen as mustard to learn new things.

Odd expression isn't it. Don't know where it comes from but it means very keen.

Back
Top Bottom