Good Old Games - Announces Gothic 2 Gold and Spellforce Platinum

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Good Old Games and Jowood have signed an agreement where they will add Gothic 2 Gold and Spellforce Platinum in the near future.
JoWood and GOG.com Take Gamers to Hell and Back with Painkiller and More Bloody Good FPS Joins Panzer Elite Special Edition and Other Titles on DRM-Free Classic Games Site

Warsaw, Poland – January 27 – Today GOG.com (http://www.gog.com), the best place for digitally distributed, DRM-free PC classics, announced an agreement with JoWood Productions to bring a number of acclaimed titles to the GOG.com games catalogue, starting with Painkiller Black Edition (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/painkiller) and Panzer Elite Special Edition (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/panzer_elite_se). Both games are available today for $9.99 each – as always, DRM-free and guaranteed to work on Vista and XP. Other JoWood games destined for GOG.com include Gothic 2 Gold, Spellforce Platinum, The Guild Gold and Alien Nation.

Painkiller Black Edition is a perfect fit for GOG.com with its old-
school action-heavy gameplay and top-notch visuals. The critically
acclaimed game pits players against hordes of hellacious beasts, with
little more than weapons of incredible destructive power at their disposal. Panzer Elite Special Edition is perfect for armchair generals and generally anyone who’s always wanted to drive a tank but couldn’t stomach the idea of sitting with a couple of other men in the
tank’s steamy, tight and uncomfortable confines. The game allows players to command a platoon of US or German tanks as they relive some of the most intense tank battles of World War II.

Adding JoWood Productions' games is another exciting step toward
becoming the ultimate place for fans of classic PC games,” said Adam
Oldakowski, Managing Director of GOG.com. “All of these games have
found large fanbases around the world, and we hope that we can show off these great titles to even more people.”

Promoting our games over the GOG.com network is a great opportunity for JoWooD not just to increase sales, but even more to distribute our classic titles to gamers who love to play those “good old games”. As JoWooD has to offer an extensive product line, we are confident that the GOG.com community is a perfect target for our titles", said Georg Klotzberg, Head of Sales of JoWooD Productions.

Painkiller Black Edition (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/painkiller)
and Panzer Elite Special Edition (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/panzer_elite_se) are now available at GOG.com, with the release of other games from JoWood's catalogue planned in the near future. Stay tuned for more news concerning new deals, more new releases and new service features in the upcoming weeks.
More information.

Gothic 2 Gold. It simply doesn't get any better than that. Period.

G2 Gold. Great news. I was about to buy that off of Amazon. Not anymore.

I wish there would be more Spellforce games.

Me too. Sadly the team was bought from EA and is now producing "battle forge".
Its mainly multiplayer and has no base building, so its mostly non existent for me.

Me too. Sadly the team was bought from EA and is now producing "battle forge".
Its mainly multiplayer and has no base building, so its mostly non existent for me.

I don't mind the missing base building, my problem is this multipalyer thing. I never do that thing.

Ah, Gothic 2 Gold.. The last game in I don't know how long that I excitedly played all the way through and was truly sad when it finished.

A HUGE recommendation on that one.

Sounds to me as if thery are going to become a distribution channel that also distributes modern games, not only old ones.

Which would mean it's gmg nowadays, instead of gog. ;)

Well, given that a game is ancient if it is a year old these days, 5 years is definitely 'old' to mainstreamers :D

Gothic 2 Gold is a great announcement - I'll grab Spellforce as well, and Painkiller I'll wait for a sale, probably.

Okay, you are right from that perspective. ;)

Painkiller = ....meh. Your money would be better spent elsewhere.

I enjoyed Painkiller for what it is - a mindless run & gun romp. Not really worth $10 to me (especially since I own all versions already) - but at $5 it wouldn't be bad.

So what is spellforce like? Pictures look pretty cool, but I'm always hesitant to buy a game based on pics!

SpellForce is
Action-RPG (party) & RTS (combat) & base building, 1/3rd each. Combined with free character development, a massive campaign (3 massive campaigns in SF Plat.). SF looked absolutely spectacular when it came out. Its new combat control system was quite comfortable. You first choose an enemy and then see all available options.
SF1 had too much base building and too much micromanagement. Apart from that I really liked it.

SF2 was less of everything, except graphics and polish. It's a mainstream game without a serious weakness. My favourite game that year.

Played both the SpellForce games (w/expansions) a lot. Great games, definetly worth getting if you enjoy RPG/RTS hybrids.

Gorath has pretty much nailed it, both Spellforces were fun games, but if you don't like RTS, there's not quite enough RPG to make the difference--it's a great example of blending two genres, but as usual with those types of hybrids, it helps if you enjoy both equally.

SF1 combined a almost a full aRPG with a full RTS and quite some base building game like The Settlers (invented by the same guys more than a decade earlier!). This is somewhat overkill.
Then SF2 cut 50% out and built certain safety nets. Which made it very enjoyable, but also less interesting because all the rough edges were gone.

My problem was losing patience with the RTS basebuilding and rushing and wanting to get back to the RPG stuff. But then, I got burned out on RTS after Warcraft III. Plus I suck at it. :)

Last edited:
I liked Spellforce until I got to this one part where there was a maze and I had no clue what I was supposed to do to get through it as their information on quests is almost useless. Also while a few of the scenarios were really well done others were quite poor.

If you don't like bad voice acting beware though because some of the voices are make-your-ears-bleed bad.

Back
Top Bottom