Gothic 3 clipping graphics in corners - see through land

Ktroy

Traveler
No matter how I set up my ini or in game settings, I cannot eliminate the missing polygons that appear in the corners of the screen when I move the mouse around. It is not all the time, and it is most pronounced on hills and mountains, where I can see through them entirely.

Also, hills in the distance at times will be missing until I get reasonably close to them, then the game will pause for a 2-3 seconds and load the missing polygons.

No amount of ini modding has fixed this problem. All other games run flawless.

Windows 7 32-bit
Athlon II X3 3.3ghz
9800gt latest nvidia
4gb ram
1.74 community patch

This shouldn't happen. The graphics should be correct, apart from a couple of minor clipping errors here and there. Especially on such mainstream hardware everything should be fine.

The only thing that come to mind are the 2 standard answers "reinstall the game" and "check for driver updates".

Found the problem.
Installed a different graphics driver but that wasn't it.

It is the DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High variable in the ge3.ini. I had mine set too high causing the glitch.. mine was at 20,000.
I thought I tried all settings but I must of never lowered this all the way back to stock.

Now I have to ask, is there anyway to increase this variable without the glitch?
The stock setting looks HORRIBLE.
The ground in front of the character is a blurry mess, and a distinct LINE where the textures are improved. It looks bloody awful…. default on high is 10,000 and it's just not far enough away. Thanks :)

solved

These must be set to the same value in the ini.
Render.PrefetchGridCellSize and
DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High

Render.PrefetchGridCellSize defaults at 10,000 so anything higher will cause the glitch.

I can now set them to:
Render.PrefetchGridCellSize 25000
DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High 25000

works amazing!

Back
Top Bottom