Dishonored - Review Roundup

You are free to do so.

Anyway, the current pre-release Metacritic score is 90% so let us see whether the rating will maintain or decrease once the post-release reviews come in and, more importantly, whether they match the user ratings.

It is not the first time that a hyped game failed to deliver. Sincerely speaking, I do hope that we are dealing with a genuine gem here.

Users score games capriciously, which potentially makes them worse than reviews. As usual, finding reviewers with some commonality with your tastes and using multiple sources is a good approach.

But why not just say you're cautious, rather than the conspiracy rubbish?

Users score games capriciously, which potentially makes them worse than reviews.
Very true indeed, but when there is a huge discrepancy between the average user and professional review score, then something fishy is going on. Just look at the Metacritic score of DA2 and ME3.

As usual, finding reviewers with some commonality with your tastes and using multiple sources is a good approach.
That is what I normally do. I rarely read "professional" reviews but tend to look for rationally and well written user reviews whose tastes are similar to mine.

But why not just say you're cautious, rather than the conspiracy rubbish?
I don't think it is rubbish at all. Considering the large amounts of money involved, there is just too much at stake. Just to be clear, I am not a conspiracy theorist, far from it, but I don't buy the claim that sincerity and integrity drive all ratings.

Very true indeed, but when there is a huge discrepancy between the average user and professional review score, then something fishy is going on. Just look at the Metacritic score of DA2 and ME3.

Please don't use Metacritic to compare score. The place is full of trolls. Also a 7 doesn't mean the same thing for multiple people.

Much better to compare the score and read reviews on places where the user needs to have purchased the game to score it. Like on Gamersgate.

Please don't use Metacritic to compare score. The place is full of trolls. Also a 7 doesn't mean the same thing for multiple people.

Much better to compare the score and read reviews on places where the user needs to have purchased the game to score it. Like on Gamersgate.
I don't use the average Metacritic score as a basis to judge a game as it is well known not to trust those results. (Although that doesn't imply that all users are trolls and some good reviews can be found when you look for them). My point is simply to point out two extreme examples where the professional reviewers were inexplicably too "forgiving".

I rather play a bloated 40 hr RPG.:p

As for professional reviews don't trust them. To many games get glowing praise turn out to be duds. Still thanks for RPS for showing me I wont like this game at all. The article proved true all my doubts.

Link-http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/dishonored-length/#comment-page-1

The game is designed for a niche market and advertised falsely to attract buyers. If you liked the thief games you will be fine. I foresee allot of disappointed people buying the hype without realizing what the game really is.

Bottom line the game doesn't doesn’t claim to be an RPG and isn’t trying to be one.

Last edited:
I don't follow the FPS and action genre so I cannot comment about those games.

Just out of curiosity, did these games also have such an extensive marketing campaign as Dishonored?

I don't know. "Hunted" was at least hyped enough to get me interested. Dishonored seems however much more hyped, although I think a lot of that stems from prospecitve players who (*cough, cough* like me) expect something like the second coming. You know, that first video sure is eeriie and tempting.

pibbur who can think of several things to do with drunken people, whether they be sailors or whalers or something else. But who generally prefers to avoid them.

YAY+2

Not surprising since it is published and marketed by Bethesda. Did we really expect Bethesda to allow bad reviews prior to the release date?
I'm not a fan of Bethesda but as far as I know, not only Bethesda but also all the game publishers do the same (specially for well-known and big IPs). Review embargo has been part of industry for many years.
The game does promise but, personally, I'll wait for a sufficient amount of well argumented user reviews.
Good idea. ;) Scores never have been my priority. If you've already read the interviews and watched the gameplay trailers of Dishonored and If you know what you want and what kind of game you like to play you should buy this game immediately whether it's received overwhelmingly high scores or vice versa.

Oh lordy, not another batch of "all reviews are bought" tripe. Last month's PC Gamer had a BIG adertisement for Port Royale 3 on it. The month before that, PC Gamer trashed the game in their review. The vast majority of the advertisements in the magazine are for PC hardware, not games. Take off the tin hats already.

I'll take a great 16 hour game over a bad 40 hour game, too - but I'll wait for a Steam sale to do it. Who says this game is only 16 hours long? Was that in one of the reviews?

Who says this game is only 16 hours long? Was that in one of the reviews?

From the review and comments I read, it's more like 20 hours.

From the review and comments I read, it's more like 20 hours.

Well according to other sites its around 6-10 hrs. That's if you just follow the quest markers and play like an fps.

Last edited:
Well according to other sites its around 6-10 if you just follow the quest markers, and play like an fps.

I've seen somebody claim to have done it in 4 hours. I don't call that playing the game personally, you're just rushing through to finish it.

I've seen somebody claim to have done it in 4 hours. I don't call that playing the game personally, you're just rushing through to finish it.

Different play styles and that's why there are going to be disappointed buyers. As reviewers have said turn off quest markers and explore or you will be done quickly.

A lot of people seem to be holding off buying Dishonored so far, and I think releasing it the same day as XCOM was a big mistake.

Top sellers for the last week on Steam. Dishonored isn't even in the top ten.
http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=33826

1.XCOM: Enemy Unknown
2.Borderlands 2
3.Torchlight II
4.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
5.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
6.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
7.Darksiders II: Death Lives
8.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire
9.Arma II: Combined Operations
10.War of the Roses

A lot of people seem to be holding off buying Dishonored so far, and I think releasing it the same day as XCOM was a big mistake.

2.Borderlands 2
3.Torchlight II
10.War of the Roses

Obviously everyone bought dishonored this week.;)

Seriously though it is surprising its not even in the top 10.

I can only assume that it's just the huge PC following for XCOM. I wonder if on console sales dishonored is in the top 10 and XCOM is not.

Also surprised to see skyrim still at 5.

Anyway I bought both.

For anyone interested, Greenmangaming has a 25% off voucher that can be applied towards Dishonored, bringing it down to $45. Installs through Steam.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/hot-deals/

Yeah the voucher works and at $45 its probably as cheap as the game will be for a while. Luckily for those waiting on others to try it first, the voucher should be good through Friday so you'll have time to wait to hear our feedback before buying it and still be able to get the deal.

2.Borderlands 2
3.Torchlight II
10.War of the Roses

pretty much fucking irrelevant as its last week. now it is number 2. also xcom had a demo which clearly helps promote a game and more importantly getting people to not take a blind leap of faith when preordering

pretty much fucking irrelevant as its last week. now it is number 2. also xcom had a demo which clearly helps promote a game and more importantly getting people to not take a blind leap of faith when preordering

Where do you fucking see that it's number 2 now? ;)

Dishonored was near the top of the list every time I looked for the last week or so - bit perplexing how it ended up not being in the Top 10. Anyway, I think it's selling fine - that list doesn't tell us the full preorder tally.

Oh lordy, not another batch of "all reviews are bought" tripe. Last month's PC Gamer had a BIG adertisement for Port Royale 3 on it. The month before that, PC Gamer trashed the game in their review. The vast majority of the advertisements in the magazine are for PC hardware, not games. Take off the tin hats already.

Who knows what could have happened if the big advertisement came one month before reviewing? Reads like some were a bit late to grease a few palms...

Back
Top Bottom