What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Watched Ender's Game. I read and loved the book but heard bad things about the movie, so I didn't go to see it in cinema. All in all, it wasn't up to par. It should have been three movies, like The Hobbit ;), or a series. The movie felt a bit rushed, I didn't get a feel for the characters and I don't think someone not familiar with the book would understand a whole lot. Sure, the story was the same, but it somehow felt like much was missing, even at about two hours runtime. *)

That said, while I don't feel sorry I watched the movie I think it's a shame there wasn't more to it.

6/10

*) I read most other Ender's Game books out there, and they expand a lot on other characters like Bean, Petra, Valentine and Peter. So maybe I was projecting that knowledge on the first story.. not sure, they didn't play much of a role in the movie.

Just saw Cargo.

In the beginning, it reminded me of Dark City.
In the middle, it reminded me of Alien.
In the end, it reminded me of Matrix.

Case in point, try to see this movie - it's great sci! The end is the only part that kind of plods along and could have used some refinement. Don't let the German language/subtitles scare you off. It's up to par with Europa Report and better than any recent Hollywood schlock.

Watched Ender's Game. I read and loved the book but heard bad things about the movie, so I didn't go to see it in cinema. All in all, it wasn't up to par. It should have been three movies, like The Hobbit ;), or a series. The movie felt a bit rushed, I didn't get a feel for the characters and I don't think someone not familiar with the book would understand a whole lot. Sure, the story was the same, but it somehow felt like much was missing, even at about two hours runtime. *)

That said, while I don't feel sorry I watched the movie I think it's a shame there wasn't more to it.

6/10

*) I read most other Ender's Game books out there, and they expand a lot on other characters like Bean, Petra, Valentine and Peter. So maybe I was projecting that knowledge on the first story.. not sure, they didn't play much of a role in the movie.

Is it available to stream / rent already ?

I'm not sure if Ender's Game is in our theatres yet but I'm gonna watch it definetly. Didn't hear about Cargo before. Will try to find it.

But Elysium was mentioned as very good/great.
It's not.

Could have been. With those actors and CGI, that movie could have been #1 sci-fi of the last year. Sadly whomever wrote the script doesn't understand basics of human behavior and the director didn't care about anything except let's make it all look good. Oh and let's please the Holywood vanity fair obsessed with recipes how to be nearimmortal, stop aging and look young by inventing a machine that does that.

From what I can remember now, without actors who did a great job that crap would have been completely unwatchable.
3/10

Rewatched Fellowship of the Ring to wash out the bad taste of the Hobbit films.

It worked, it's still a masterpiece and Jackson has been taken over by the cursed soul of George Lucas.

Rewatched Fellowship of the Ring to wash out the bad taste of the Hobbit films.

It worked, it's still a masterpiece and Jackson has been taken over by the cursed soul of George Lucas.

I liked Desolation of Smaug a lot more than the first one. And yeah, the original trilogy is much better. But The Hobbit are also kind of cool as simple adventure movies. But they could have been much better.

I saw a low profile movie, which turned out to be great. About Time. It's a light romantic comedy with a very good message. From the guy that wrote Love Actually, which I also loved.

I saw a low profile movie, which turned out to be great. About Time. It's a light romantic comedy with a very good message.

Yea, I'm not watching that very good message:
"There are some references to terminal cancer, which it is suggested was caused by smoking."

As you probably know, I'm not (yet!) in the terminal or any other cancer phase and am a passionate smoker for over 20 years. If I do get cancer that'll be from Monsanto GMO food or from good old braincancer inducing mobilephones.

A question - why Avatar didn't score the best picture oscar? An answer - the castrated Hollywood couldn't give it to a chimney role performed by Sigourney Weaver.

Yea, I'm not watching that very good message:
"There are some references to terminal cancer, which it is suggested was caused by smoking."

As you probably know, I'm not (yet!) in the terminal or any other cancer phase and am a passionate smoker for over 20 years. If I do get cancer that'll be from Monsanto GMO food or from good old braincancer inducing mobilephones.

A question - why Avatar didn't score the best picture oscar? An answer - the castrated Hollywood couldn't give it to a chimney role performed by Sigourney Weaver.

WHAT? Seriously, that's all you got from that movie? Sucks for you I guess. Yeah, there are references to that, but that's not even close to what the message of the movie is.

And about Avatar, I don't respect Oscar awards, but aside from CGI, Avatar was just mediocre. At least I know that when I go see Transformers I'm going for cool CGI. But Avatar made it out like it was the second coming of Jesus (that movie actually had a marketing budget as big as the production budget. that tells you a lot about a movie imo.)

WHAT? Seriously, that's all you got from that movie? Sucks for you I guess. Yeah, there are references to that, but that's not even close to what the message of the movie is.

And about Avatar, I don't respect Oscar awards, but aside from CGI, Avatar was just mediocre. At least I know that when I go see Transformers I'm going for cool CGI. But Avatar made it out like it was the second coming of Jesus (that movie actually had a marketing budget as big as the production budget. that tells you a lot about a movie imo.)

I'm sure I'll be once again called a nitpick ... but Avatar is pretty clearly one of the most over-rated movies ever. Aside from CGI all you have is a stolen kiddie story, mediocre acting and an over-the-top marketing campaign.

I'm sure I'll be once again called a nitpick … but Avatar is pretty clearly one of the most over-rated movies ever. Aside from CGI all you have is a stolen kiddie story, mediocre acting and an over-the-top marketing campaign.

Agreed. And I hear they're already in production for the next avatar movie.

Avatar IS ment to be just CGI. Nothing more. And it didn't try to be something else.

Dunno what exactly was overrated in it. I mean, noone can say Avatar is a best melancholic drama ever - when it's not. Nor it tried to be.

Transformers is not just CGI. I wish it was. Instead, it's a movie about Megan Fox boobs.

Avatar IS ment to be just CGI. Nothing more. And it didn't try to be something else.

Dunno what exactly was overrated in it. I mean, noone can say Avatar is a best melancholic drama ever - when it's not. Nor it tried to be.

Transformers is not CGI. I wish it was. Instead, it's a movie about Megan Fox boobs.

I don't know if avatar tried to be more than CGI. But I do know that having a huge budget of marketing and then getting a huge return on investment for that marketing sends wrongs signals to moviemakers/moneymakers about what needs to be put in a movie. Just throw cash at flooding the people marketing about a movie (also attach a big name director) and it'll sell like hotcakes. I'm sure they already know that, but movies like avatar just proves that they can still do that.

And granted, Transformers was that also, it also had amazing CGI. Better than Avatar imo. Or maybe I'm just more into huge robots fighting, than what Avatar had to show.

So I just watched Lars von Trier's Melancholia. And I have to say that I was very disappointed with this movie. Hailed as probably the best movie of 2011, and going on to win a lot prizes, too, I felt confound, confused, and bewildered. What was my fellow country man, Lars von Trier, trying to say: That melancholia is a planet that destorys all life? or that the lavish luxury times have ended? or maybe something in between. link to imdb's info about the movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527186/

On the other hand, if the movie was about me - and the audience - feel the emotional disturbence in the lead character's role (played brilliantly by Kirsten Dunst, btw), then it definitely succeeded. However, aside from the beautiful scenery and the nice cinematograpphy, I felt the movie was way to long; I also was very bored. One can only take so many movies about how phoney marriages are etc. etc.

Grown Ups 2 was fun to watch, though. Maybe a cure for melancholia..

Avatar was clearly a movie that was trying to convey a message - and was trying to be serious about the evil of corporate power - and the wonders of being one with nature.

Unfortunately, it was utter crap and had THE most predictable script I've ever experienced, and I mean that literally. It's the only movie where I've been able to predict what felt like half the lines in whole damned thing.

It also had a shocking amount of cliché characters all of whom acted in complete accordance with their cliché profiles. Wonderful.

The fact that joxer advocates smoking as not unhealthy because he's not personally dead yet and talks about Avatar not being overrated both combine into bullshit that's worthy of being lines in the Avatar sequel.

I consider myself pretty easy to please entertainment wise, although it is not often that something comes along and leaves me completely awestruck. Avatar was neither. Not since The Neverending Story II, which was the first time I experienced that going to the movies didn't always have to be fun, have I been this bored. Story, characters etc was cliché and the effects didn't do a thing for me. I thought most of it looked awfully un-natural. Probably not the worst film I've seen but just incredible boring. I'm not going to watch Avatar II, III, IV and so on.

An insult on a personal basis is one of someone's best lines?
I don't want to know what horseshit he throws on ppl that actually did something to him. Too bad I can still see quotes of his crap you make, other than that the forum became a beautiful place since I did this:

Clipboard01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom