Witcher The big fight in CH. 1 everyone complains about

The Witcher
I like the way they throw you out of conversations if you say something offensive. That to me makes you think a lot more about your decisions as opposed to mindlessly clicking your way through until you've exhausted all dialog options.

But like you say, a lot of times they throw you out of a conversation for pointless reasons, and sometimes dialogue branches stay colored even though you have already explored them.

Think getting Stunned or Pained a lot means low Dex or Stam, can't recall atm and I haven't played in almost 2 weeks waiting for the patch. :(

Think getting Stunned or Pained a lot means low Dex or Stam, can't recall atm and I haven't played in almost 2 weeks waiting for the patch. :(

Well, it happened for the first and so far only time with the beast. Seems to be a special attack. Just like the knockdown with the fearbringer.

But like you say, a lot of times they throw you out of a conversation for pointless reasons, and sometimes dialogue branches stay colored even though you have already explored them.

Its also annoying if the person you are speaking to runs a shop and you get kicked out of a conversation when you planned on buying/selling something. Then you'd have to wait until the next day to try again.

So if you need to talk to someone AND partake of any services they offer, then get your services out of the way first -- THEN engage in conversation.

What do you mean by 'wait until the next day'? Can't you just talk to them again? Or are you speaking of when you make them upset and they refuse to talk any longer? - I kind of like that, it's more like real life!

I've never had to wait until the next day to buy anything id the merchant is there!!

Worst case I recall was having to exit the level and reenter to be able to move to next dialogs/conversations with NPCs.

That sure does sound like a bug... that i've never experienced fortunately.

I think it's designed that way. If you piss off an NPC, they won't talk to you immediately; however, if you exit and leave, the conversation tree is reset.

I'd surmise it's done this way to (1) make the conversations more realistic, and (2) eliminate the possibility of painting yourself into a corner by "wrong" dialog choices and slash quest complexity. If they didn't do it, they'd have to handle every situation where you'd pissed off an NPC, with either quest branches lost, or in case of the main quest, "backdoors" so you could get back in the story somehow. This would add a lot of complexity to an already complex game.

IOW, I don't think this "quick and dirty" solution is ideal, but it's certainly better than some alternatives.

Yeah, some of the aspects of the dialogue stuff is another one of my complaints with the game, can be pretty annoying.

The way it tends to exit out of a convo, then you have to wait for the character to lay down, stand up, whatever, until you can engage again. Like if a character is sleeping, or sitting, or anything other than standing there.

That's just an overall complaint with Witcher - lots of annoying little waits, whether it's the convo thing, or load screens or whatever. Still, when weighed against how awesome the game is (and performs) otherwise, it's a very minor annoyance.

Exactly the devs must intend this as some NPCs you get kicked out of conv, ever dam sentence it seems, even though your not pissing off the NPC, so this seems to be training us to constantly reinitiate dialog, yet this breaks/bugs quest to some degree. It maybe they haven't had time to address this or they just made the game quest to damn complex to actually function correctly with their designed Dialog System.
An example would be in the Investigation, it's SO open you can talk to anyone at anytime and possibly learn something, so recently when I went to question a Suspect, I kept initiate dialog till I didn't get any more new dialogs, well it turned out I had spoken to so many people already I completely cleared this guy. The problem is by doing this method I missed opportunities in the Quest Log to speak to others before clearing him, which cost me XP I am betting as it's basically skipping a phase. So the irony is the devs train us to break the quest. :p
Well as I said unless this is just something they haven't had time to address, yet it's in such a complex system, I really don't see them being able to fix this without a LOT of work, so my guess is it will forever remain this way. :(

I only survived that fight by running away until swallow restored enough health, killing all the dogs that had been summoned during that time, running in and hitting the big one for while until my health was too low, repeat.

Remember that running is a perfectly legitimate option

Beast is very vulnerable to stun so lucky Aard can mean that the fight is over in one blow. Of course, in Chapter 1, your Aard sign has only something like 1 in 5 chance of causing a stun but, if you keep trying, chances are you will land a decisive blow on flaming SOB :)

Back
Top Bottom