Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Steamworks Enabled

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Eidos has announced the PC version of Deus Ex: HR will use Steamworks and discounted preorders should now be open, althouh that doesn't seem to be the case for me. From the press release at Blue's:
DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION TO RELEASE DIGITALLY THROUGH STEAM

Pre-Orders Now Available; Pre-Orders To Receive Special Discounted Price For a Limited Time

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION™ is making a triumphant return to its franchise PC roots, with digital availability on Steam®, the leading online platform for PC games and digital entertainment, as well as in boxed copy form at retailers worldwide at launch in August 2011. Eidos-Montreal has chosen this agreement with Steam because of its esteemed capability for an enhanced experience for the PC gamer, with boosted functionality and easy accessibility.

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION will support a host of Steamworks® features such as auto-updating, Steam Achievements and Steam Cloud support. Available in the standard version and the robust Augmented Edition on Steam, gamers will be able to enjoy the Deus Ex experience of their choice. The Augmented Edition boasts a digital 40-page art book, a “making of” special, trailers, animated storyboard of the CGI trailer, motion graphic novel, soundtrack, and a free download of the Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition.
More information.

Really because steam offers the best pc experience. Why not come out and just say its because of piracy. Which is funny because there cracked before release most of the time.

I can see the pre-order page on Steam now.

"...to relese digitally through Steam" - are they trying to say they will ONLY release digitally on PC?

It sounds like that could just be for the steam version since it didn't mention the boxed version. They would be shooting themselves in the foot not releasing a boxed version.

no there are tons of game that can be bought in boxed editions but require steam to play. the total war games have been probably the most obvious one for close to five years now. obsidian seems to jumping on that boat to, but if that keeps them alive and kicking i'm all for it. its actually kind of funny though because gamersgate and direct2drive have for a while now offered great deals on pre-orders of these steam required games which means you actually get it somewhere cheaper besides steam and then end up using steam anyhow. that's good for the us the consumer though i think?

i am going to force myself to get the gamestop boxed augmented version though. i cashed out my discovercard rewards for like the last five years and got 2 $50 gift cards. was going to use that for the witcher collector's but gamestop rarely makes in-store-pickup available for pc games so i went with amazon's reliable game day release shipping, which was a nominal $2 or something...though when you're spending $150

Not happy about this, but at least I can buy it from somewhere else.

for someone who plays mmos i would think you would like the fact that many steam games have achievements. the only other pc gaming program to have them is games for windows live and that is a real piece of something. don't know how i could have missed it but i could have sworn you weren't part of the "steam is evil" croud?

for someone who plays mmos i would think you would like the fact that many steam games have achievements. the only other pc gaming program to have them is games for windows live and that is a real piece of something. don't know how i could have missed it but i could have sworn you weren't part of the "steam is evil" croud?

Are you talking to me?

Steam is great for multiplayer games. When I buy a multiplayer or co-op focused game that does not use Steamworks, like say Borderlands, it annoys me. Steam is absolutely useless for singleplayer games though and I hate being forced to use it for games like New Vegas and Just Cause 2.

It's not a deal-breaker for me by any means though, I just put Steam in offline mode and turn off all the in-game features. It's basically invisible at that point. The DRM bugs me, yeah, but on the PC DRM is pretty irrelevant thanks to the community who preserve and save games from being lost to time. Thank God for those guys!

Got my amazon.com pre-order in for the "Augmented Edition" and can't wait!

The client in itself is merely annoying and intrusive. It's the fact that I'm forced to support Steam by buying this game.

Still, I have a strong feeling Deus Ex 3 will be a great game - so I'll have to accept this, as I won't feel right pirating the game.

The client in itself is merely annoying and intrusive. It's the fact that I'm forced to support Steam by buying this game.

They don't get any money from non-Steam sales, that's one of the reasons it got so popular with publishers. Steamworks is completely free to use for developers and publishers and Valve does not get a cut of non-Steam sales. Valve relies on the customer being forced to use Steam to further their sales on future titles.

They don't get any money from non-Steam sales, that's one of the reasons it got so popular with publishers. Steamworks is completely free to use for developers and publishers and Valve does not get a cut of non-Steam sales. Valve relies on the customer being forced to use Steam to further their sales on future titles.

Exactly, it's not about money.

It's about using their client and thereby supporting Steam as a platform - which will, in turn, increase awareness and popularity of it.

Exactly, it's not about money.

It's about using their client and thereby supporting Steam as a platform - which will, in turn, increase awareness and popularity of it.

Ah, I thought you meant financial support. Yes, being forced to use it for certain games increases its popularity and acceptance, which is why Valve carefully manipulated that outcome. They also do this through things like that shitty free game they gave away and all their free DLC.

It amuses me that people think they're so pro-customer when really they have a selfish and monetary motive behind every single thing they do.

2nd hand purchase then. Saves me money, nothing goes to squeenix, win for me, loss for them.

Yes, buying a steamworks game second-hand might be a sensible choice…

I already preordered, because I actually prefer my boxed games to be also available on Steam. Think of it as getting a digital version for free in exchange for a very bearable DRM mechanism.

It amuses me that people think they're so pro-customer when really they have a selfish and monetary motive behind every single thing they do.
Like every other business in a capitalistic society.

And to call Portal a shitty game, just wow…

You realize that giving Portal away for free also meant that nearly all HL2 mods became available for everyone at no further cost? If that isn't giving back to the community I don't know what is.

Yes, some people may have too high an opinion about Steam, but they don't actively go around advocating this pro-customer image to the extent other DD platforms do. Just think of Wardell's "gamers bill of rights" and Stardock's unfinished games like Demigod and Elemental or GOGs always implied "we fight the good fight" mentality.

Last edited:
STEAM is evil.

Yes, I bought STEAM enabled games (e.g. The Last Remnant), but you know, there are always ways...

And to call Portal a shitty game, just wow…

You realize that giving Portal away for free also meant that nearly all HL2 mods became available for everyone at no further cost? If that isn't giving back to the community I don't know what is.

I wasn't talking about Portal. There was a game they gave away for free from day-one, some kind of top-down alien shooter. Also the free Portal giveaway did not include the SDK, as I have heard dozens of people bitching about.

Portal is an awesome little game, as was Portal 2.

I don't understand Portal and Portal 2 get so much applaud. I'm not looking at game prices but in those case it's really too much.

Then make a RPG that short, put as much money in it, and sell it at this price, and you'll get a much better game.

Ha well I still have been impressed by Portal 1 but I got it free. No way I'll support Portal 2 witch such a waste of money, $10 per hour of play? No way, it's encouraging a wrong approach.

STEAM is evil.

Yes, I bought STEAM enabled games (e.g. The Last Remnant), but you know, there are always ways…

Quiet dont want to give the unenlightened masses ideas now. Steam in your new overlord.:D The new Slogan for steam should be "Assimilating The World One User At A Time." There is talk about consoles and now mobile devices getting steam.

I have ran into several games that require Steam even if you buy the boxed version. F.E.A.R. 2 and Dawn of War II were two that I have, but I know Total War, GTA 4, and some others require Steam too.

I dislike being required to run a client to play a game, but I have bought quite a few games during their sales. I have yet to ever buy a game at full retail price on Steam. I don't like a boxed version requiring you to use Steam though - you should be able to buy a standalone if you are not going to go the digital distribution route.

Back
Top Bottom