Dragon Age: Inquisition - RPG Codex Review

That is certainly the reason why I've been Bioware fangirl since BG2, and the reason I disliked BG1. I do indeed love that aspect of Bioware games. I just wish they can expand their focus a little further.

See, it's like this. PS:T has absolutely fantastic story. It wasn't enough for me to enjoy the game. IWD/D:OS has fun combat system. Also wasn't enough for me (IWD1 NPC mod fixed that problem for me, but still. I enjoy playing D:OS a lot, but I still haven't finished the game, because it lacks everything other than combat). Bioware games have colourful/interesting companions. It has been enough for me, because, this is the aspect I value the highest of all. But now that alone isn't enough to cut it for me it seems. Oh yeah, and Bioware being too dramatic isn't also helping (I do hate reality shows).
Except PST has better and more colorful companions than any other game you mentioned.

Going on an adventure with companions is one of the main reasons why I enjoy BioWare games. It's the only way to capture the spirit of LotR, tabletop games and so on. It wouldn't be all that fun for me to roll all the characters in a tabletop game and then simulate their personalities.

It's all about going on an adventure with friends, which is where I feel so many companies miss the mark completely - they make "interesting characters", but not characters I would actually hang out with.

Examples of BioWare characters I would actually travel with:
- Mordin
- Garrus
- Liara
- Iron Bull
- Varric
- Leliana
- Jolee
- Ashley (Williams)
- Joker
- Tali
- Kaiden
- Wrex
- Isabella
- Mazzy
- Jaheira
- Keldorn
- Valygar
- Legion
- Etc

While it's interesting to have characters like Korgan, Edwin, Minsc, Sera etc around, there's no way I'd be willing to spend months with them. They'd drive me insane.

Exactly!

(However I would take Sera. ;) )

They may or may not have been chosen on purpose. ;)

Going on an adventure with companions is one of the main reasons why I enjoy BioWare games.

Exactly the same reason here as well. However unlike you I am sometime willing to adventure with characters I don't like provided I cam piss them off or do mean things to them. If these are real life people then I tend to avoid them :)

Having said all that, I don't think I came across a bio companion whom I really hated...

Having said all that, I don't think I came across a bio companion whom I really hated…

Can't remember the name, but in NWN there was a guy who rushed into fights to get killed.

Except PST has better and more colorful companions than any other game you mentioned.

Sure, in your opinion ;)

Can't remember the name, but in NWN there was a guy who rushed into fights to get killed.

Tomi Undergallows or something, wasn't it?

Yes!
Never hated anyone else in any other game.

Sure, in your opinion ;)
Maybe it is but by your description I don't understand why PST ones are bad.

So you are saying you don't really care for companions but exact kind of companions that you like. That is narrow minded. You need to enjoy all kinds of experiences to grow.

Maybe it is but by your description I don't understand why PST ones are bad.

So you are saying you don't really care for companions but exact kind of companions that you like. That is narrow minded. You need to enjoy all kinds of experiences to grow.

When did I say companions in PS:T are bad? I think you are the one who need to grow up :) Game is a form of entertainment. If I don't enjoy having some of the companions around, I don't see why I have to put in extra effort to like them. I do that at work. I think you are the one with narrow mind, not understand people have different experience and personality.

I'm mature enough to understand PS:T is a great game, and the one I appreciated in literature form rather than a game. You should understand that people may not enjoy "playing" PS:T. Companions in PS:T are no doubt well developed, but certainly not my cup of tea.

Hmm I was thinking about trying this game out even thought I've disliked Biowares latest games. But this review and thread is making me uncertain again.
Yeah. If you don't like Bioware's recent games, DAI is not going to be the one that turns it around for you.

Yeah. If you don't like Bioware's recent games, DAI is not going to be the one that turns it around for you.
That depends. If you like exploration and was missing that in the ME games or DA2, DA:I might be for you.
If you want to have character building, strategic combat or meaningful side-quests, DA:I is not for you.

That depends. If you like exploration and was missing that in the ME games or DA2, DA:I might be for you.
If you want to have character building, strategic combat or meaningful side-quests, DA:I is not for you.

And if I want both? :)

I think the character building is, at least, on par with the previous DA games. That's not saying much, but there's enough there to make progression entertaining - and there ARE meaningful choices to a somewhat greater extent than DA1.

As for "strategic combat" - that's an oxymoron. If you want TACTICAL combat, it's more or less about what difficulty you're playing at and if you can accept that there's a lot of standard Bio filler combat. There are challenging fights, but obviously it depends on your class and your skill level.

I'm playing a melee Rogue - and it's quite fun and challenging in certain boss fights.

And if I want both? :)
Then you'll have to wait for someone to make such game as it doesn't exist.
Perhaps F:NV is a game closest to your wishes.

Back
Top Bottom