Gothic 3 How do I kill orcs/humans?

SirDeity

Watchdog
I'm trying to kill every orc I see but they just get right back up. I managed to kill a few orcs so far by holding down the Ctrl key while attacking to drive my sword into their chest, but this usually doesn't work because despite holding down the Ctrl key and hitting (left clicking), it usually doesn't do a kill blow. Instead it just does some silly sideward slash in the air above the orc laying down. I want to kill the orcs but I can't get the keys to work to do it. What am I doing wrong? Is there an easy way to kill an orc once he's knocked down on the ground?

If you don't plan to ally yourself with the orcs, is it still a bad idea to kill them all? Thanks.

Well usually the key is to make sure you can see them in Focus before being able to do Death Blow, i.e. you will see their Health Bar top center.

Yes its a bad idea to kill them even if you are going to side with the Rebels, reason being is they have merchants and quests, so it buy buliding up your Rep with them and others allows you access to other areas, merchants and quest.
Most people want to try to get all the quest done to get higher levels before deciding who to attack. :)

To kill an unconscious orc/human, stand near him, press the right mouse button, then press the left mouse button, wait for a few seconds, release the left mouse button. It is important to wait as otherwise the hero will perform another type of attack.

You can finish the game without completing any quests at all (but the main quests of course), but the more quests you do, the easier it gets. Finishing the game by doing quests for only one faction is not that hard, so if you don't feel like working for the orcs just don't.

Magic automatically kills everything as well!! Don't kill in an arena fight though!!

No, it's the way of Adannos :).

Yes, i understand (sort of) . . its too early to decide just yet without an in-depth game explanation. The slaves of Innos that broke-away to Adanos became restless, they were disgruntled, un-loyal, un-faithful and Adanos was the instigator of this. The redeemer (who comes from "that" place!) has the task set upon him to return the world from the evil of Beliar back to the status-quo beginnings - he alone has the ability to use the divine power of the gods so as 'not' to slaughter or use violence to the undeserved mortals to achieve this goal. There are many distractions and deviances placed in the path of the decider - - which he alone must judiciously resolve.
The vast majority of players who do not realise this will kill those which did not deserve or warrant it, yet i see in the final analysis, a world of peace regained with orcs and humans living side-by-side in harmony with evil and darkness banished forever......or so the picture of G3 (and in many strikingly similar ways G1) goes.

Definitely been smoking TOO much Swampweed!! :biggrin:

Okay - i need some councilling at a re-habilitation clinic. :D

..but seriously :-/ the storyline diversions need some working out. I've only prayed at the Innos shrines so far, surely it should be safe with him "the god of light, truth and justice shines over all" (Milten - G1)

@Wulf
Think of it this way: Adanos is the God of the Center, he does not seek to destroy neither good nor evil, only to bring Balance between them.

Innos is the God of Fire. What is Innos's mightiest spell? Rain of fire. The Avatar of Innos will burn and destroy all those who failed to be good and righteous. Innos and Beliar are the exact opposites of each other and in this way they are very similar. They are both Gods of Destruction.

But what is Adanos's mightiest spell? Wave of Ice. The Pure Water Mage will never destroy his enemies, he will just freeze them so that he may evade them. Transformation magic is Adanos's gift. So that the Follower of Adanos will also be able to spare any kind of innocent wildlife.

Of course, if everything else fails, the only way to bring Balance is the destruction of all living beings, with the exception of a selected few, who will then be able to bring a New Balance.

I hope I didn't sound too wierd, that's just my attempt of better understanding the Gothic lore.

Cheers.

@Lethal Weapon,
..absolutely not wierd at all. In fact i am grateful for that explanation it proves something very fundamental and simple to life that is contained in the gothic series. It seems to be strongly suggested that Adanos can be almost ignored, it's just a matter of equalising (appeasing) the two gods only, Innos - v - Beliar.
It then retrospectively follows that this applies to G1 also . . to me this is *most revealing* and explains the mystery of the two (not three) divinities. I will remember this point throughout the game. Thanks a million..

Maybe we should put this in the 'religion' forum!! :biggrin:

@ Wulf: What do you mean about 'Two' divinities in G1? Wasn't there the same three?

Not sure if i can answer, but i will try. I've tried searching for clues for some time but there's little to go on, most of the talk on various forums although with good intentions turns out to be gobledegook. It's mostly boy-talk/theory/fantasy.

Yes there are three divinities, and.......yourself, so between the four what method can be applied to appease those three gods considering that you are given some power to change sides?

1. Side with Innos or/and the sub division of that class.
2. Side with Adanos or/and the sub divisions.
3. Side with Beliar and/or the various affiliates (orcs hashishin) etc'
4. Go it alone. (no info's on this anywhere yet)

Siding with one god could make the other remaining two combine - - but only momentarily (so as to oppose) then with the other pair/s when appeased, complicated? - you bet, especially when neutralising or should i say 'utilising' the sub denominations eg: summoning, transforming, etc' - suggesting that at some point in the game to change your denomination to fulfill the purpose - what purpose? - more later maybe as the storyline evolves.

The whole game essence and concept revolves around this core subject as stated by Kai Rosenkranz, i wish i could understand it and yet the clues are all in there, it's just a matter of time before someone hits the right combo' - maybe.

If any player doesn't understand all of this, put in simple terms - "solving the quests by other means than killing/hostility" will yeild the god pleasing result, the desired, strongly hinted aim of completing G3 (as was G1 and which i have now come to understand - because of G3 !!) and restoring the lost balance as mentioned in no uncertain terms in the books of ancient knowledge.

There are three end results to the G3 game, how many of us will see the light, the right path.? :-/

Whew! What a mouthful! I didn't follow all of it simply because I've barely scratched the surface of G3. I think I misunderstood your next-to-last post, and hence my question. I thought you were making the statement that there were only two gods eluded to in G1, perhaps forgetting Adanos.

Anyhoo... if I remember correctly, wasn't it established in G2 that the nameless hero is the chosen one of Innos? How does that fit into all of this?

I play the same way though - only killing if I have to, regardless of what faction my opponent represents. This is mostly because I try to play myself in RPG's, and I'm a pretty get-along type of guy!

@ Jabb's, only the two gods Innos and Beliar are needed in G1 to open path of redemption. I would guess it's the same for G3. It's a deep controvercial subject rejected by the masses - too much for these forums and best left to each players own viewpoint solution.

G2 tried to branch away from the Failures of G1, which on this topic is confusing.

A strong hint:-
Follow the guidance and literally take notes of the books as they are read (they are sequencial) you only get them once and are not stored for later reference. Interpret them into the gameplay quest path - there is only one true path. the others complete the game *normally* i think, stay true to the cause and don't be waylayed by the many deflections met in the game.

The first book i read was at the start in Ardea:-
"In the beginning the nomads roamed the land and the eternal wanderer led the way"

The second book i read was in Gotha:-
And Innos spoke to the eternal wander - "lay aside your - blah blah blah etc" (very strong hint on this thread topic)

As each book is read, a storyline is revealed as a kind of "subliminal direction" if you don't grasp it then you cannot do it, unless by freak chance.

Good luck. :)

Awesome. Yes, I've read the first book. This is the kind of stuff that seperates PB from the rest of the RPG developer crowd. Remember Chromanin? Wooo Hooo! I can't wait to get into this more.

But if I understand these 'hints' correctly, coupled with reading this discussion, this possibly means that the 'true' path is the peaceful one (relatively speaking) and one that does not take sides in the physical conflict between the Orcs and Humans, and by extension the conflict between Innos and Beliar. Is THAT balance? How would this be accomplished in gameplay terms? - Simply go through the game without killing anyone and never choose a particular guild?
Or do you have to do something specific for one god or the other to BRING the balance back? Very interesting indeed.....

P.S. Talk about 'replay' value! :lol:

Wow! Jabbs' you are right on track! - (chromanin) ;)

Peaceful - yes absolutely, a kind of judge (the decider), listening, talking, questing, hovering between right and wrong all in order to win the respect and reputation so that the rightful solution is justified. Blast your way through and all is messed-up. Some quests are delicately balanced and need careful thought. Iv'e noticed some solution branching - where a quest is cancelled (in orange highlight) then a new completion text is rolled (green highlight) amazing! - kind of self-correcting (but could be adjusting the rightful path outcome)

Re: 'balance' - with children playing on see-saws, there would be one at each end and sometimes one in middle at the pivot point and could tip the see-saw either way, such could be said of Adanos's role in all of this, obviously with Innos and Beliar at opposites, therefore suggesting nameless-hero somehow does the tipping maybe utilising the power of Adanos, just how is yet to be confirmed, not sure yet but the in-game hints are emerging, yes very interesting indeed!

PS: also learned that the slaves need to be appeased....yet i've heard some G3 players are killing the slaves! - will they never learn.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom