Holy $hi... MS buying yahoo

There may be something to what you say. "What's good for General Motors is good for America" is a sentiment that, for a long time, defined the relationship between industry and government in the US.
That statement referred to the many thousands of American jobs in the automobile and automotive industries.

But it was the CEO of General Motors who said it -- and the attitude persists. Many Americans do seem to have some sort of patriotic identification with American corporations. I think I can catch a whiff of it even here, in Lucky Day's interpretation of EU concern over Microsoft's dominant market position as simply a way to squeeze money from an American corporation.

I guess that's the way it seems. But folks I know up in the Seattle area tend to think most Americans are too hard on Microsoft and should lighten up with all the suspicions and criticisms.

I just hope that yahoo mail wont get merged with hotmail. Yahoo has been my main email provider for a decade and comes with excellent functionality in terms of filtering and storage, something I didnt experience with hotmail back when I tried it (does hotmail still delete emails that havent been archived after a certain period of time?).

Well, Google is apparently getting into the act:
Article on Yahoo News
But Google is painting a starkly different picture, asserting that Microsoft will be able to stifle innovation and leverage its dominating Windows operating system to set up personal computers so consumers are automatically steered to online services, such as e-mail and instant messaging, controlled by the world's largest software maker.

In a move that illustrates just how badly Google wants to torpedo the deal, Google Chief Executive Officer Eric Schmidt called Yahoo CEO Jerry Yang Friday to offer his help in repelling Microsoft, according to a report Sunday on The Wall Street Journal's Web site, which cited anonymous people familiar with the matter.

The assistance didn't include a counterbid, but may have included supporting other potential suitors, or a revenue guarantee in exchange for an ad partnership with Yahoo, the people said, according to the newspaper.

I saw that yesterday, and my immediate thought was:

Wouldnt a Google-Yahoo merger be much more problematic than Yahoo-MS with respect to various anti-trust laws?

Google's already huge, and just acquired double-click, so it would be a very monopolistic merger. And they're already in the search engine business, so that might be a legal point of contention

However, from this news snip anyway, it doesn't seem that Google is actually in a position to outbid MS, or 'take over' Yahoo...they just don't want to compete with a MS/Yahoo conglomerate. That's the impression I'm getting anyway.

Looks like Yahoo turned MS down!!! MS stocks went down because of that..... I wounder if that is the last of it......

Now they're talking about it all going hostile.

"As we have said previously, Microsoft reserves the right to pursue all necessary steps to ensure that Yahoo!'s shareholders are provided with the opportunity to realize the value inherent in our proposal," Microsoft said in its statement.

"...and so Microsoft suddenly became bitter, angry, and start to forced himself upon Yahoo after the sugar words failed and gentle advances been rejected...";)

Is it just me or do evil empires never seem to employ enough people with sugar-word skills?

Back
Top Bottom